Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't believe that I bought it 2 days ago and today they released a recall 15-039 for the AT :(

anyway, a few questions. please help. I am coming a BMW, so know nothing about acura.

1. can we display the speed on the MID like the new Pilot?

2. OEM vs WeatherTech all weathermat, which one is better?

3. Should I bring it in for the recall 15-039 now or wait a yr or two, so I can get a free AT fluid change? it looks like they will have to drain the AT fluid for this recall anyway. assuming there is no leaks.

4. My wife is only 5'2". is it worth it to install an Advance running board to help her get out?

5. What new features I can set in the Developer mode? am I going to damage anything by playing with this mode?

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
1. No.
2. That's highly subjective. I do have the OEMs and find no issues with them.
3. 15-039 is a TSB not labeled as a recall. If you find that there is leaking ATF, then yes. It comes with ATF supplement, not a total change.
4. My 5'0" wife loves them. They are a bit thin for bigger feet though.
5. There are some adjustments settings and even things like turning active noise cancellation off, but I wouldn't mess with too much. From what I've explored, there isn't too much benefit to changing these settings.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Can't believe that I bought it 2 days ago and today they released a recall 15-039 for the AT :(

anyway, a few questions. please help. I am coming a BMW, so know nothing about acura.

1. can we display the speed on the MID like the new Pilot?

3. Should I bring it in for the recall 15-039 now or wait a yr or two, so I can get a free AT fluid change? it looks like they will have to drain the AT fluid for this recall anyway. assuming there is no leaks.

4. My wife is only 5'2". is it worth it to install an Advance running board to help her get out?

5. What new features I can set in the Developer mode? am I going to damage anything by playing with this mode?
3. If it's leaking,it's going to mess up your driveway. You may be stranded somewhere. If it's not,they aren't going to give you a free fluid change. They will probably check it at your next service anyway.

·
Registered
46 Posts
WeatherTech digital floor mat covers much more upper area!! If you are living in a snowy area like I do in Minnesota, definitely get the WeatherTech!! I have WeatherTech in all my cars here :29:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I live in Denver, so it snows half a yr. WeatherTech it is.

there is nothing that catches the ATF if it leaks? that is good because there is no way to check the level.

also, how to raise the headlights up a bit? they're bright but low compare to my 3 series. I've been driving with highbeam on.

·
Registered
266 Posts
If I had to choose between the OEM rubber mats and the WeatherTech all weather mats, I'd go OEM. The OEM rubber mats are custom molded to fit, whereas I think the all weather mats from WeatherTech may need to be cut to fit. I don't even know if WeatherTech has all weather mats available for the 3rd Gen MDX.

On the other hand, I would say that the WeatherTech digital fit floor liners are superior to the OEM all weather mats. These floor liners have much more coverage than both their all weather mats and the rubber OEM mats over the carpeted area and the dead pedal in the driver's area. I think that the WeatherTech floor liners are a nice product, but in my opinion I feel that they are a bit overpriced. I bought a set of Husky brand 1st and 2nd row custom floor liners for my MDX, which are comparable to the WeatherTech floor liners. I caught them on sale and I think I spent maybe about a total of $40 less on them than what I would have paid for the 2 sets of WeatherTech liners. While I can't compare the two directly as I never had the WeatherTechs, I'm very happy so far with the Husky liners I have.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I took mine in today for an alignment and to check on 15-039. Mine does not leak but I just want to make sure all is good.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
another question. I bought the car on Aug 29. The manufactured date on the door is April. The car only has 10 miles on it. this means it's been sitting in the sun, unused for at least 4 months. Anything I should do or check now? The paint is very rough, I will clay it this weekend.

·
Registered
357 Posts
another question. I bought the car on Aug 29. The manufactured date on the door is April. The car only has 10 miles on it. this means it's been sitting in the sun, unused for at least 4 months. Anything I should do or check now? The paint is very rough, I will clay it this weekend.
Four months isn't much time, no need to do any service. The dealer should've detailed it for you before delivery. I'd take it back and have them detail it for you.

One more advise, since it's been manufactured in April I'd have them check for TSB 15-034, see here: http://www.mdxers.org/forums/94-third-generation-mdx-2014-present/91865-tsbs-2014-mdx-2.html

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'm a huge fan of Weathertech, and I usually prefer it over the mats I've gotten from Audi and BMW. I did however get the MDX OEM ones as I used it as a last second deal kicker when buying the car, "Throw in the mats and you've got a deal" sort of thing.

I really like the OEM mats. They clip in and are deep and the MDX logo is a nice touch. I looked online at the Weather Techs and visually they didn't look as nice. That said, I've had Weather-Techs and I've really liked them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I put WeatherTech's in all my vehicles. I think they are high quality, fit well, and do a great job protecting the floor. I would by them over OEM.

·
Registered
230 Posts
1. can we display the speed on the MID like the new Pilot? NO

2. OEM vs WeatherTech all weathermat, which one is better? I've had weathertech on last vehicle. work great. they threw in all weather mats on my MDX. Love them, and have had no problems. I also like that they say "MDX" on them.

3. Should I bring it in for the recall 15-039 now or wait a yr or two, so I can get a free AT fluid change? it looks like they will have to drain the AT fluid for this recall anyway. assuming there is no leaks. Unless it's leaking, Wait until next trip into dealership and have them check it

4. My wife is only 5'2". is it worth it to install an Advance running board to help her get out? My wife is 5 ft tall. Has no problems getting in and out of car w/o the running board. 1)don't like they way they look; and 2) have a tendancy to get ur pants dirty if u bump against them

5. What new features I can set in the Developer mode? am I going to damage anything by playing with this mode? Personally, I wouldn't mess with it. Would think if you mess something up, you would void warranty on it as you were doing something you weren't supposed to be doing

·
Registered
366 Posts
4. My wife is only 5'2". is it worth it to install an Advance running board to help her get out? My wife is 5 ft tall. Has no problems getting in and out of car w/o the running board. 1)don't like they way they look; and 2) have a tendancy to get ur pants dirty if u bump against them
My wife is 5'4", but my mother in law is 5'0". Neither have a hard time getting in. Running boards tend to get in the way of pant legs and also lower the effective ground clearance on the side. I find on cars that are so low (like the MDX), they just serve no purpose unless you're constantly doing something with a roof rack, etc.

I say pass, at 5'2", they're not needed in my opinion.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
it looks like the WeatherTech and Husky WeatherBeater have much better coverage than the OEM. Husky has needles on the bottom to prevent it from moving. Anyone who have WeatherTech, can you please check if yours has it?

https://www.huskyliners.com/WeatherBeater-Floor-Mats/2016/acura/mdx

The wordings in the TSB 15-034 sound like it only applies to 2016 Advance? mine is just SHAWD AWP

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Yep, 15-034 only applies to the Advance because the problem lies in the start/stop system and how it works with the transmission.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finally turned on the stereo today and it sounds very average. Max the sub level and can't hear/feel the difference. Good that there is a sub somewhere in the car, anyone in here successfully replaced it with an aftermarket brand in the same spot? I don't want to add an external amp or another box, just something plug and play that goes deeper and more efficient.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys - just picked up a 2015 mdx and have a basic question. It came with the oem rubber mats to replace the stock carpet mdx mats. But there is no mat for the third row (assuming because it folds down). Do you guys buy any sort of mat that covers the trunk space when the third row is folded down? Or just leave that carpet exposed? Hope I articulated the question clear enough.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi guys - just picked up a 2015 mdx and have a basic question. It came with the oem rubber mats to replace the stock carpet mdx mats. But there is no mat for the third row (assuming because it folds down). Do you guys buy any sort of mat that covers the trunk space when the third row is folded down? Or just leave that carpet exposed? Hope I articulated the question clear enough.
Weather Tech does have a third row weatherproof mat. Anyone who has used the OEM and then tried the Weathertech knows that the weathertech are far superior to the OEM ones. I would pay the extra couple of dollars to at least have one thing that is made of quality in the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks. Do you have to remove that Weather Tech mat if you decide to fold up the third row and use the seats? Or does the mat stay in place and folds with the seats?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts