Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After owning my MDX (Touring, Navi) for 3 months I feel that the setup for A/C, fan and clock display could use some improvement. Consider this: when you start your MDX you have to wait for the screen to light up before you can even adjust your fan setting. If you turned off the ignition at night with the brightness intensity set for night then next morning you have to use the setup button to change the intensity to day time use before anything is visible on the screen. The fan speed regulator works only in one direction ie you have to INCREASE the fan speed to max before you get to the lowest settings! Unless I am doing something stupid this seems to be an odd way of treating owners of 40K vehicles ! There is no easy way to turn off the display and bring it right back on. When you press OK to the screen "Shut Down" query the clock also disappears. Isn't it reasonable to expect drivers to be able simply look at the clock without anything else on the A/C Trip screen ?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I totally agree with you...I think the fan setup is ridiculous. They should have a separate manual switch. What's the logic for the way is presently setup? Also, the time should be visible without having to turn on the ignition switch, how about a manual clock?

·
Registered
285 Posts
couldn't agree more....

as far as i remember, the lexus rx-300 has a very similar setup, that one also allows you to change the fan speed in only one direction....

maybe their reasoning is that since the vehicle already has full climate control, we the drivers don't need to do the extra adjustment anymore.... how stupid is that.....

·
Registered
339 Posts
jj_mdx said:
couldn't agree more....

.., we the drivers don't need to do the extra adjustment anymore.... how stupid is that.....
It is not more stupid than us the buyers that believe its design and bought the car. :p

Seriously I notice the inconvenience too but not in a big serious problem. I feel the automatic AC has alot of power and capability. It can be "too cold" easily. I don't normally need a switch to crank up the air. I normally just push the magic temp buttom to raise the temp so the fan just shuts lower or quiets down. I kind of like the change of air flow from the 'X since that is what I paid for the "luxary part". For those who were used to having to manually crank up the air, roll up the windows by hand, push or pull the seat, stop the car to adjust the mirrors, these MDX's stupid convenience features all look very stupid. :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let's get real ... nobody is questioning that automation is "progress", however even the most sophisticated systems have manual overrides - it is plain common sense. Don't be a slave to bells and whistles.

·
Registered
88 Posts
i currently have a 2000TL w/nav which has the same kind of A/C setting screen. for this two years i've never went to this screen to adjust A/C settings. Always use temprature button. To be honest i don't even touch this button too often. just set it once to 68 and forgot about it.
just my 2 cents

·
Registered
339 Posts
For MDX303: I did mean to have some funny talk here so take it easy. You could really miss something that should have overrides or control over. But it seems minor once you enjoy the MDX. We can all pick on things that I missed: Auto-Rollup windows, dead-pedal area, wind flow control, etc. Perhaps one of the reason I went with MDX can be enjoyed and get used to. I used to miss this dead pedal area. Like on BMW the dead pedal gives a very solid footing on the left side. Now I don't even remember what I was looking for any more. I really don't care about that any more.

LuckyMichael: Your observation is also mine! Magic temp buttons.

The time I missed the wind control tends to be when I have PASSENGER in the car. Event that, the TEMP button has been the solution.

Back to MDX303: MDX does give the back seat folks the control on their own AC overrides. My kids love it but now the whole back side AC can be very annoying. When they get cold and comfortable, they would ask for the override and turn up the temp big time. For example, they can turn on the heat (literary blowing hot air) to warm their feet. :(

Now can I disable the overrides? :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts