Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone been having problems with their A/C? My 2001 MDX has about 15000 miles on it. My routine is - get in the car, turn on the air (I live in Florida so I do this all the time) and drive. Within the past couple of weeks when I switch the A/C on it sounds like a helicopter taking off. No lie! My daughter started crying the first time it happened.

I am going to take the car to the dealer, however wanted to find out if anyone else is having the same problem first. Thanks for your help!

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Hmm something perhaps caught in the blower??

·
Registered
452 Posts
hondacuraworld said:
I was thinking the same thing. Even a single leaf can make the blower noise unbearable.
Yeah. On a pickup that we part outside, every fall leaves fall into the fan. It sounds thet same. I try to cycle the fan to break them loose, with some success.

Once we had a truck that my wife would through a flake of hay on the hood every morning for the horse on her way out. Eventually the whole fan and condensor got impacted to the point that no air would come out at all.

Chris

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have a 2001 too with 11.5k miles. My MDX had a similar problem. Someone on this site suggested that I check out a 'kinda' latched door on the front bottom passenger side. This door, at times, gets opened if the passenger's legs hit it. My problem however did not go away. The dealer fixed it and I remember he saying that the sound insulation needed to be fixed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A/C sounds like helicopter

Thanks all for your thoughts re the A/C noise. The dealership advised I need a new blower motor. They also advised that this is not the first blower motor they have had to replace. I should be noise free next week.

·
Registered
86 Posts
another bad blower motor?

Blower noise problems started a few weeks ago and figured I would check here to see if anyone else was having issues. Looks like a few have, and I am wondering if Acura covered it under warranty?

Thanks.

= M

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
True Story Of A Similar Problem

The same thing happened to my friends car a few years ago. Whenever the A/C blower was turned on a loud noise could be heard.

She had bought the car new about 6 months prior to having this problem and was known to leave it in the garage for weeks and drove her old car to work to save mileage and wear on her new one.

Turned out to be a mouse nest in the A/C ducting.

While she was not using her new car a critter in the garage put it to good use.:19: :5: :8:

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Re: True Story Of A Similar Problem

BaldEagle said:
The same thing happened to my friends car a few years ago. Whenever the A/C blower was turned on a loud noise could be heard.

She had bought the car new about 6 months prior to having this problem and was known to leave it in the garage for weeks and drove her old car to work to save mileage and wear on her new one.

Turned out to be a mouse nest in the A/C ducting.

While she was not using her new car a critter in the garage put it to good use.:19: :5: :8:
Rodent Trap by Griot's Garage, $60.00 http//www.griotsgarage.com :2:

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
We now have a pile of acorns in the hvac blower area (under the dash on passenger side just above passenger's feet) for the second time. Dealer made my wife pay for removal last time. I plan on doing it myself this time.

Does anyone have good disassembly instructions/diagrams/pictures for getting in there?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts