Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,,
I'm a new member I own a 2008 MDX just hit 80,000 miles. my question is regarding the a/c system:crying2:.. its getting warmer out here in Las Vegas and I just turned the air on, however it blows cold on the passenger side and rear but not on the driver side. I stopped at the local Honda dealership and explained this they said the vent flap is stuck and they would need to get behind the dash for roughly 3 hours costing roughly $400.00. Then I went to the Acura dealer and they said they would need to an a/c systems check for $175 then diagnose the issue but its probably a leak...Anybody have this exact same issue? and what was your solution including costs???
thank you in advance !!:smile2:

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
If the passenger side blows cold. then I doubt there is a refrigerant leak...

I'd look at the blend door actuator.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had the same EXACT issue on my 2008. I topped off the A/C charge and all was good. Good luck.

*** EDIT *** I realize some may not believe that it was a low charge that caused this, myself included initially, but start with the simple things. Check the charge level of the system.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Call a few repair shops and ask if they use an ac dye, to find leaks and the cost.
They will find out if your system is charged enough to just add dye.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Call a few repair shops and ask if they use an ac dye, to find leaks and the cost.
They will find out if your system is charged enough to just add dye.

If one side blows cold and the other does not, your problem is very likely to be in the flappers. I do not believe it is a charge problem. Another possible failure could be the temperature controller of your side. Remember this is a dual+rear system temp control (LEFT, RIGHT, and REAR).

In my 2008 X, the efficiency was degraded. But the air at the vents of the whole car were not as cold as they should. I found the leak in the low-side port valve. This is a very common leak point. I replaced both valves when I recharged the system and now the air is as cold as brand new.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had the same EXACT issue on my 2008. I topped off the A/C charge and all was good. Good luck.

*** EDIT *** I realize some may not believe that it was a low charge that caused this, myself included initially, but start with the simple things. Check the charge level of the system.
did you have to take it to a service garage to do that,, or can i purchase Freon and do it myself?
thank you!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If one side blows cold and the other does not, your problem is very likely to be in the flappers. I do not believe it is a charge problem. Another possible failure could be the temperature controller of your side. Remember this is a dual+rear system temp control (LEFT, RIGHT, and REAR).

In my 2008 X, the efficiency was degraded. But the air at the vents of the whole car were not as cold as they should. I found the leak in the low-side port valve. This is a very common leak point. I replaced both valves when I recharged the system and now the air is as cold as brand new.
are the low-side port valves in the engine bay? Also did you recharge the system or have it done at a garage?
thank you

·
Registered
1,952 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for your responses btw!! Very helpful.. I realize how service garages "work" especially dealerships where the techs only making $ if they are actually working on cars so they'll make issues larger that they really are or add non issues to create work hours to make money,,, it sucks you cant just rely on people nowadays to be honest and forthcoming...oh well
Thanks again

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its behind/under the dash.
Ok,,... I was down there yesterday poking around but I don't know enough to locate specific parts..iil do some more research and see if I cant fins the blueprints of certain areas that contain part info.
Thank you

·
Registered
17 Posts
The low pressure/fill port is a point of failure on any AC system. Especially if the protective cap is left off, dirt and other grime gets into the top of the valve and degrades the seals. When the refrigerant gets topped off, that junk gets forced into the valve, making it worse.

You can clean the valve out with brake cleaner or soap and water, just make sure it is dry before topping off the system (and wear safety goggles). If the valve has to be replaced, unfortunately the system has to be evacuated. Most AC shops will replace the valve and recharge the AC for under $200.

If you are mechanically inclined, you can add refrigerant yourself. I would recommend using a fill hose that has a pressure gauge on it, that way you are not overcharging the system. Plus, you can check the pressure of the system (with the engine running and the AC on max) and see if it is actually low.

I am not familiar with the MDXs, but the fill valve is on the low pressure (cold) a/c line, somewhere between the condenser (by the radiator) and the firewall.

The blend door(s) should be under the dash, in the heater/evaporator unit. As the MDX has a three zone climate control, there should be three doors, three separate outlets from the unit. It could be stuck, or the motor could be disconnected or bad. You can check operation and see if it changes temperature at all, starting at full hot (with engine at normal operating temperature), and going to full cold.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Sounds like your air mix motor needs to be taken apart and cleaned. When you cycle the system from full hot to full cold you will hear a clicking sound if the motor is not working properly. This seems to be typical of MDXs this age. I've had to clean mine twice.

The motor is located under the dash on the driver's side. Scoot the seat all the way back, contort yourself on the floor and you should see it next to the gas pedal. There is a plug going into the motor. Remove it, take it apart it, clean the gears and regrease them. Re-install and see how it goes.

·
Registered
354 Posts
are the low-side port valves in the engine bay? Also did you recharge the system or have it done at a garage?
thank you
The low-side/fill-port is located under the hood and I believe is the one with the BLUE cap. Also, it is the one that gets cold and wet with condensation. I recharged the system myself.

Here some additional tips:

I found one special tool to replace the valve without discharging the system. Look for Mastercool (81490) R134A Valve Core Remover Installer. It costs $40.80 in Amazon.

Another common point of leak in old A/C systems are the tubing-to-rubber hose pressure connections/unions. These are points where the metal tube changes to rubber hose. If you see the rubber hose wet with oil residue starting at the connection point, then your hose is leaking gas and oil in very small quantity.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts