Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I posted about a problem I had with the A/C. The front unit was warmer than the rear unit (they are sep compressors) & the dealer didn't find a problem last year. It wasn't major so I lived with it.

I just had my oil changed & asked the dealer to check it again - they discovered that the heater was blowing hot air into the front A/C ducts because the heater valve cable wasn't propely adjusted. They re-adjusted it & now I have ice cold a/c in from & back!

I know one other person had this issue last year (DMor - I emailed her about the fix) and others may have it too. I

Hope this is helpful to some - it was tough issue to track down.

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
Good to hear it worked out. Now you will have the same "problem" I bet most of us experience... Being frozen almost instantly after the AC is turned on.

Fortunately, the AC button is in a decently ergonomic location for toggling on and off. :D

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I thought that there was only 1 compressor under the hood that fed both front and rear air delivery stations.

Either way, this problem should NOT have been that hard to find if someone who knew what they were doing was working on the problem. There are not that many things in the chain. Seems to me that all they had to do was work the list starting with "most likely" and then working their way down the list.

Had it been my X, they would have been motivated because the X would have stayed in the shop until it was returned working.

What is wrong here??

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
srpbep..........

nothing is wrong here. Last year the day I took the MDX in to check the A/C it was 65 degrees for a high, so there was no temp noticeable diff. They checked the 2 compressors & both were fine. It never was a serious issue - just something I noticed when it was over 90 degrees. Believe me, if it was a serious issue, I would have had it fixed. :4:

One reason I have purchased 4 Acuras from David McDavid Acura was because they have an excellent service dept. Had I insisted there was still an issue they would have checked further. I asked them to check it out when I had my oil changed last week & they found it. They saw this was the 2nd time I mentioned the A/C and gave me a loaner, apologized for the inconvenience and assured me they would fix the problem.

So - there is no issue - but - thanks for asking :D :4: :2:

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
texrb ... glad you are happy and your X A/C is fixed. You mentioned again the second compressor. Are there two compressors on the X? If so, where is the 2nd one mounted. While I have not looked real hard, I have only seen 1 compressor on our 02 Touring.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
srpbep -- From the appearance of things in the service manual, there is only one compressor and only one condensor; the refrigerant flow is split between the front and rear systems, but I'm not sure how the percentage of the split is determined. (I haven't read the entire 100 pages.) The lines to the rear are connected to the rest of the system in the engine compartment near the front evaporator.

·
** BANNED ** (enough is enough)
275 Posts
There is no two compressor setup. You only have one of those. But you do have two EVAPORATORS for the front and rear though.'

Rob

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my mistake........

As RObSj posted - there are 2 evaporators. I misunderstood the service writer :eek: Rob - thanks for correcting me - Sorry guys, I should have been sure of my facts b4 the post.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
texrb ... no problem ... the single compressor is why I focused on should not be that hard to isolate the problem:

Compressor was cooling [fact] and circulating fan working [fact], so it had to be isolated to something like:

Coolant flow [crimped plumbing, valve not working etc].
Controls not working [or adjusted correctly].
Screwed up condensor.
Air box.
Heat source [e.g. heater water still flowing]
etc.

Heck ... TheRobSJ is the one to write the list

·
Registered
16 Posts
Air conditioning

I recently took my X into Tustin Acura to have it repaired for an Air Conditioning issue.

Upon turning the air conditioning on, a very loud tick (tick-tick-tick) started and continued to go as long as the air conditioner was on....and the air conditioning would blow hot air.

We took it to the dealer and they said is was the air conditioning unit...they repaired it...but two days later, only hot air would blow...

Took it back in and they told me that they needed a expansion valve for the air conditioning that they didn't replace the first time because we were in a rush...which we were...

Anyway, the air conditioning is working now...but it takes up to 15 minutes to get as cool as it used to get in 2 minutes.....if it does not get any better, I am going to have to take it back in to the dealer...any thoughts?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts