Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this is a defect or a design flaw--

If the temp outside is, say, 60 degrees, I have to set the A/C temp on about 69 to get it comfortable. But if the temp outside is, say, 90 degrees, I have to set the A/C temp on about 80 to get it comfortable.

This doesn't seem right. If I set the A/C for inside the car on 75, the A/C should always keep the air inside at 75, whether the air outside is 60 or 90.

The worst part is that when the temperature outside varies, even from something like the sun going behind some clouds, I have to constantly fiddle with the temperature setting or else it starts blowing hard (too cold) or getting too hot.

Two dealers have checked the system and said nothing is wrong. Anyone else having this problem?

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Is Your A/C set on "Full Auto"?

No problem here. I just leave it on 70 "Full Auto". One time it somehow was on only "Auto" and it did not cool as well.

The A/C sure does cool my Black MDX fast. Much faster than even my GMC P/U (White on top, Blue Sides) with smaller cabin area to cool.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Re: Is Your A/C set on "Full Auto"?

BaldEagle said:
No problem here. I just leave it on 70 "Full Auto". One time it somehow was on only "Auto" and it did not cool as well.

The A/C sure does cool my Black MDX fast. Much faster than even my GMC P/U (White on top, Blue Sides) with smaller cabin area to cool.
70? You Oregonians like it cool. Do you have the fog option turned on too? ;)

I keep mine at 74 in summer and 76 winter.

Chris

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
76, 74, 70...WOW! I leave it at 65 full auto all the time. Love it cool and the MDX does a great job of getting it cool and keeping it there.

One thing I wish it had is dual front zones. Our other car has that and keeps my wife happy because she likes it a tad warmer than me!

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Maik said:
I leave it at 65 full auto all the time. Love it cool and the MDX does a great job of getting it cool and keeping it there.

Bet your heater rarely comes on. I sure would hate to pay your electric bill at your home. Somehow I guess that your wife makes you keep it a tad bit warmer at home

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I think the A/C control system is 'WAY too "fiddly." I'm not really interested in having the interior temp controlled precisely, I'm interested in having it comfortable -- AND in having the air blowing on my face "just the right temperature." I can do this easily with manual control as is found in many other vehicles, as well as the manual control for the MDX's 2nd row seats. In the front of the X it's darn near impossible to find a setting that will keep the "face air" at the temperature I want. It CAN'T cost a lot to add switchable manual control for us who prefer it. Acura, are you listening?

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Re: Re: Is Your A/C set on "Full Auto"?

MGTD said:

70? You Oregonians like it cool. Do you have the fog option turned on too? ;)

I keep mine at 74 in summer and 76 winter.

Chris
Do you mean the rear window defogger? If so I have not tried it yet. The one day it rained since I've had my MDX I drove my other car so the MDX stayed safely clean in the garage. I do keep the A/C at home set at 76.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
BaldEagle said:

Bet your heater rarely comes on. I sure would hate to pay your electric bill at your home. Somehow I guess that your wife makes you keep it a tad bit warmer at home
Electric bill is a tad high in summer....but it evens out with the savings on oil in winter!:1:

·
Registered
282 Posts
same problem here

I even thought of just masking-taping the "sunlight/temperature" sensor on the dashboard so the the "sunlight" is out of the equation of the full auto mode. That way it will just read as "night"
and just leave the temp at 74.

Yes, I got totry it sometime:1:

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Mocking-DX said:
same problem here

I even thought of just masking-taping the "sunlight/temperature" sensor on the dashboard.....
Are you refering to the outside temperature sensor? If so I'm not sure but I don't think that is where the sensor is.

The navigation system has a receiver on the dash, the outside temp sensor is somewhere under the front grill I think.

I have noticed that the outside temperature reading on the MDX is much more accurate than on my wife's 93 Volvo. It (Volvo)must pick up motor heat because it will read 110+ sometimes after stopping when the actual outside temp is only 70-80. It will read correctly only after driving again for a few miles. This had not been the case with my MDX.

·
Registered
282 Posts
actually there's a sensor in the dashboard in the middle close to the windshield that looks like an infra red sensor.
It detects sunlight/heat so the temp computer will adjust the fan speed of the AC in full auto mode. That's why when the sun is behind the clouds the AC fan slows down and the minute the sun is out the fan speed increases. This is also the same as my wife's Highlander.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Is Your A/C set on "Full Auto"?

BaldEagle said:

Do you mean the rear window defogger? If so I have not tried it yet. The one day it rained since I've had my MDX I drove my other car so the MDX stayed safely clean in the garage. I do keep the A/C at home set at 76.
Actually my attempt a humor. The fact that all Calif's think Oregon is always cold & foggy. So I assumed that you had some sort of fog machine in the car to go along with the cold temp. ;)

Chris

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mocking-DX said:
actually there's a sensor in the dashboard in the middle close to the windshield that looks like an infra red sensor.
It detects sunlight/heat so the temp computer will adjust the fan speed of the AC in full auto mode. That's why when the sun is behind the clouds the AC fan slows down and the minute the sun is out the fan speed increases. This is also the same as my wife's Highlander.
I suspected as much, but it seems like a crazy design to monitor the outside temperature when attempting to maintain the inside temperature. They need to move the sensor to monitor what the temperature is INSIDE.

·
Registered
282 Posts
oh, also ther's an inside air temperature sensor on the lower dashboard right where the driver's right knee is. They appear like slit holes.
So i think the outside temperature is just to monitor the temp ouside and not connected to the AC computer. Just my guess.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts