Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new '03 with 400 miles on it started making a noise like a mildly squealing belt yesterday, intermittently. I checked around under the hood this morning, and it seems like the A/C clutch is broken -- I can grab the outer portion and move it up and down 1/2" or more. It's possible it's simply the way it's designed, but it doesn't seem likely to me. Anybody out there willing to go out to the garage, pop the hood, grab the very outermost portion of the compressor clutch and tell me how much it moves up and down? (Engine off, of course!) Also, I tried watching it for a while, engine on w/ defroster on (I believe the clutch operates when in defrost) but never saw it try to engage. The temp is 42 degrees. Seem odd to anyone?

Thanks in advance,

MJ

·
Registered
499 Posts
Some pulleys have been breaking off! I don't know if the 03's are affected. Do a search of the forum for it.

I would not drive it! Take in/tow it and have Acura look at it.:eek:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Definitely a broken clutch, possibly caused by a siezed compressor -- "We've never seen that before" was the expected comment. Parts (new compressor as well as clutch) are being overnighted so should be back on the road soon.

If you hear a squealing belt that quits almost immediately, I suggest you check the a/c clutch by (engine off) grabbing it (it's the bottom-most accessory driven by the serpentine belt, at the front of the engine) and attempting to move up and down. Mine was obviously failed. Thing is, if I hadn't checked, it would have been summer before we would have noticed no cooling (or I suppose the first time we needed serious defogging).

MJ

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. :29:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts