Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 MDX which now only blows air out floor vents. Regardless of what I have selected in the A/C control module, the A/C only blows out the floor. Not sure if this is a control module issue or a problem with the flap which determines where the air will flow.

I am not sure where to begin...

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
The MDX Acura shop manual has a test to confirm if mode control (vent outlet selection) motor is functioning correctly. You need shop manual to be sure you apply power correctly as incorrect application can damage motor.

Your motor does not appear to be working, but still possible to be a wiring fault or ATC fault (much less likely).

Mode control motor is located on driver's side of heater core box in center of car. To replace, you disconnect a wiring tie-down and 7-pin connector, disconnect two control link arms, and remove two screws holding motor to heater core box. Motor is available from any Honda/Acura parts outlet.

good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I was able to temporarily fix it by disconnecting the link rods from the motor assembly and just manually move the levers.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I don't know but suspect mode control motor is similar to air mix motor, and air mix motor can be repaired, if you are dexterious and determined. I tried to repair my air mix motor and dropped one tiny part which disappeared forever necessitating a new part.:(

Following video is air mix motor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9S5B1Dn3j4

good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Fortunate fix for stuck mode controller

2004 MDX Touring.

When first searching for "air controls" I found post that had to do with "air temperature" and good instructions dealing with troubleshooting the "air mix controller." I read enough to test the Air Mix Controller and determine it was working fine, but I still only had air flow to the top middle and side vents.

It was later I discovered a few posts about the "Mode Control," which was just what I needed. It is the Mode Controller that routes air to different outlets (defrost, middle/side, lower (feet)). Most of the posts indicated the control arms and tracks might be stiff or dirty. I found the Mode Controller and, with the MDX running and AC on, gently rocked the rods and arms around and began changing the modes using the mode button (left most under the console screen). Between my tapping and rocking and cycling through the modes, the Controller began to move on its own. If the Mode Controller never moves, then you have a deeper problem - beyond this post.

Even after reading about the Mode Controller, I wasn't sure exactly where it was or what it looked like. I wanted you to know what I learned.

The Mode Controller is on the left side of the AC mechanism which is in the center of the dash (behind the console). You will work from the driver's foot well.

1. First, remove the bottom console panel (it is carpeted). It is held in place by a series of tabs and clips. I started up by the gas pedal and pulled away from the console. Once a couple of clips pop loose you can work your way toward the seat tugging until the clips pop loose. There are clips at the top and bottom of the panel, and bottoms ones tend to pop loose as you work through the ones on the top. Most difficult is the last clip which is tight as the drivers seat barely allows enough room for the clip to come free. And there is a tab at the very front of the panel. It goes into a slot sort of behind the gas pedal. I gently bent the panel until I could pull the tab out of the slot and pull the rear of the panel out from between the console and seat. Set the console panel aside.
  2. Next, you need to remove a plastic panel that from the bottom of the driver side dash. There is a twisting lock in the front center, twist the handle until the panel drops a little. There is also a clip on the front left which pops loose. Then you can slide the panel forward (easy because there are some wires still in place) out of a plastic slot (at the back on the left) and a hole on the firewall (on the right) by the console. The back of the panel fits in the slot and there is a post that matches the hole. There are two wire sockets to unplug (for interior lighting.) Unplug the wires and set the panel aside.
  3. Now you will be able to look up in the console and see the Mode Controller. See photo. It is a black box held in place by bronze screws. My fix didn't require me to remove the screws or disconnect any of the rods. To help you get oriented in my photo, the green plug in the rectangle is at the bottom of the controller. The main white control arm is circled. You will see a metal rod going up and another toward the console to damper controls (also white). I tapped and wiggled the arms and control rods where the arrows are. Don't force anything too much because you can break things.
The photo is taken with camera under the steering column looking up and toward the console.

There are many other problems which might cause the Mode Controller not to work, but maybe you will be fortunate, like me, to be able to coax it back into service.

Hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I just had mine out (just now noticed that there really wasn't any air flowing out the defrost vents). I got it moving by forcing the lever, but it was sluggish, and wanted to stay put rather than moving to the right position. I took it out and cleaned and lubed it as best as I could, but it was still not nearly right. I noticed that the gears would rotate freely on the posts until they were seated all the way down, at which point they added a considerable amount of drag. I found a couple suitable washers to slip over the posts to keep the gears from totally bottoming out, and put the mode controller back together. Now it works 100% of the time, hopefully for years.

Just thought I'd pass that along, since I'd read so many posts about people taking their mode controller out every 6 months to get it to work again... this might help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,
I am having a similar issue but I could not locate this link rods from motor assembly. Can you please tell me where those r located ?

Thanks. I was able to temporarily fix it by disconnecting the link rods from the motor assembly and just manually move the levers.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Read TexasHonda's posting in this thread above - it does a good job describing the location of the controller (the link rods will be connected to it).

·
Registered
778 Posts
There are videos on youtube as well and it doesn't have to be an MDX to help you. Find one for an Odyssey or Pilot because under the dash they are all very similar.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts