Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice every time I get in the car and start it, the AC is always on. I have to manually push the AC button to turn if off. Is there a setting that controls this? Or is it base on the set temperature?

I just want it off completely until I decide to activate it myself.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
the A/C helps remove humidity so with automatic climate control it's typically best to leave it on and just set the desired temperature.

·
Registered
962 Posts
The computer also wants to exercise the system to keep internal parts lubricated by moving the refrigerant oil through all of the circuits. In the bad old days before computer controls, A/C systems in northern U.S. climates often did not get used for 6-8 months in a row, and sometimes suffered seal and compressor failures when they were first turned on in the warmer weather.

I prefer to turn it off manually in sub-freezing weather unless there is a need to defog the windows.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Unless you refrain from breathing, there is usually a need to defog the windows in sub-freezing weather.

And now I have that scene from Titanic stuck in my head. The one with young Kate Winslet and Leo DeCaprio in a car below deck. Sigh.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I leave mine on AUTO all the time....around 68 degrees....as others have said, better for the compressor and entire system long term...

Oh yeah, the folks you see riding around the cold and wet with fogged up windows, either their AC is out of order, or they have turned off the ac compressor. Let it work.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not a big deal but I live in Ca and it's pretty cold lately so I have no use for AC at this time, that's why I want to manually activate it rather than being on all the time. I even tried setting the temps between 78-80 just to see what happens but the AC is always on, even when I set it to off. The next time I get in and start the car, it's back on....seems odd to me.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
not a big deal but I live in Ca and it's pretty cold lately so I have no use for AC at this time, that's why I want to manually activate it rather than being on all the time. I even tried setting the temps between 78-80 just to see what happens but the AC is always on, even when I set it to off. The next time I get in and start the car, it's back on....seems odd to me.
Did you not read this thread? The A/C removes humidity, which is useful even when you want "heat".

·
Registered
252 Posts
What is the year and trim level of your MDX?

On mine, if I choose to turn off the A/C manually while the climate control is in auto, the A/C stays off unless I turn it back on, or unless I turn off the climate control all together, then turn it back to auto. If I simply turn off the car with the A/C off, the A/C is still off when I start the car again.

This was the case with my 2009 Base and my current 2013 Tech - Canadian models.

All that said, as others have said here, I tend to leave the A/C on all the time so that the compressor gets its lube. It's -25C right now, so I really don't need the my air "conditioned" = cooled. However, I do need it dried to keep the windows clear.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I've been mostly a Honda owner with a few sprinkles of Buicks, Fords, and Merkur in the mix since 1988 (all with manual A/C systems). My 06 TSX +140K, 08 RDX +145K, and 11 MDX +105K are the first vehicles I've own that has been 100% trouble free of A/C issue during my years of ownership (only replaced the RDX A/C clutch under a factory 100K extended warranty).

Either the A/C system really improved after 2006 and/or running in Auto mode year round helps with longevity.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Anyone tracked a mileage difference w Ac on (in auto) vs Ac off via manual press? That could be the only upside I could think of to turn it off manually

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you not read this thread? The A/C removes humidity, which is useful even when you want "heat".
Thanks for the input, yes I know about A/C removing humidity, and if you're saying the reason why it's always on and trying to remove humidity from the interior, how or what triggers it being on? Is it by design, certain temperature, hygrometer in our car?

The air is pretty cold and dry lately, so I don't see a need for A/C, but it's always on when I start the car up, even when I last set it all to off. Not using Auto, and not using any of the climate controls. No heat also, I use the seat warmers as I'm the only one in the car most of the time.

is the seat warmer being on, triggering AC to come on as well?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
but it's always on when I start the car up, even when I last set it all to off.
So you're saying if you have the hvac system off (the button that says "on/off") it still cycles the A/C? When I turn mine off using that button, the hvac does not turn back on after a restart (temps/blowers/everything is off) nor does the A/C cycle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts