Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Now I'm wondering if the replacement transmission has these refinements. Does anyone know?
I would suspect that it would depend on the date the replacement transmission was manufactured. Not sure if ALL ZF9's being made after this was introduced for 2019 MY include these changes and/or if they have 2 different part numbers / model numbers for the transmission itself to designate a "refined" one from ones that don't contain these refinements?

If anyone were getting a replacement transmission from now on i'd want to know definitively I was getting a new replacement that has these refinements in it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I can’t remember if it was this forum or the piloteers.org forum, but I read someone had their transmission replaced twice. The first one was remanufactured and had the same problems. The second replacement was a brand new 2019 spec transmission with 2016 or 2017 programming. I found it odd that they didn’t just put the updated programming in with the new transmission. I have no idea what I got. I just know my car is much better, only occasionally having odd shifts.

I’m now wrestling with how close to the towing limits and GCWR I want to be with this car or a 2020, which is totally a first world problem. Haha.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Now I'm wondering if the replacement transmission has these refinements. Does anyone know?
Most of the units going in now are remanufactured units. The exceptions like the one mentioned with multiple failures.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi:

this is my first MDX, switched from bmw x3 for the reliability of mdx. Got a 19 awd + tech.
just see many discussions on issues or reliability of the zf9 speed, is it really that bad?
my x3 had zf 8 speed which is the best I had owned. the new zf9 is slower but does the job right now.

really don't want to got a trans issue after 4-5 years owning the car. Is there any preventive things owner can do?

thanks
The ZF trans was improved quite a bit for 2019. The only thing to do is have the ATF changed when indicated by the maintenance minder. Since you owned an X3, you should be used to the high cost of vehicle maintenance. So you should feel at home spending $400 or more for the ZF9 ATF drain and refill. ZF must have their fluids manufactured in the International Space Station given that they charge more than $30 a quart for it!

·
Registered
131 Posts
OP, relax and enjoy your MDX. We had a 2016 MDX, which as mentioned above is the first year of the 9spd. During the 3 years we owned it, it was very clunky and awkward. It never shifted right; both in D and S modes. Now we have a 2018 SH-AWD Tech (same as your spec) and it truly feels like a different car. The shifts are smooth and instant. Your 2019 should feel the same.

I had a BMW 3-series and know of the reliability concerns of your X3. Enjoy your reliable Acura. Although you'll probably need to re-shape your Navigation expectations: BMW is way ahead on the Navigation front.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts