Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So first gear in this car seems really short, and should provide a nice burst of acceleration.

However, its as if the computer knows its so short, and gives lack luster response. Then when it shifts to second you get a strong surge of acceleration.

Is that just my car, or everyone's? I wonder if they can improve that with software.

·
Registered
661 Posts
So first gear in this car seems really short, and should provide a nice burst of acceleration.

However, its as if the computer knows its so short, and gives lack luster response. Then when it shifts to second you get a strong surge of acceleration.

Is that just my car, or everyone's? I wonder if they can improve that with software.
I saw this with a test drive, and think they'll update software.

How long have you had your car?

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Yeah, this is how it is. I just mash it these days. lol

Hmm I read your first sentence too fast and missed really short lol, but our 1st gear is actually 4.71 vs 3.36 of the 6 speed. So, that's probably a reason for the lack luster 1st gear response too. Going from wide to really wide ratio lol

·
Registered
837 Posts

Have you tried mashing first gear in sport mode?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Welcome to 9 speeds brotherhood, where you don't have control and the car ask to drive like you just stole it. After 3 weeks driving like I hate the car, we have an agreement and finally drives like a normal car. My first week I had the feel of a black hole between the time I hit the pedal and reaction. Is that what you feel right now? Like the engine shaking and then going out full throttle?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome to 9 speeds brotherhood, where you don't have control and the car ask to drive like you just stole it. After 3 weeks driving like I hate the car, we have an agreement and finally drives like a normal car. My first week I had the feel of a black hole between the time I hit the pedal and reaction. Is that what you feel right now? Like the engine shaking and then going out full throttle?
So it got better?

Yesterday, at some point I noticed it did what I wanted ( once ), pulled hard in first and didnt shift right away. But then a few minutes later it was back to the hesitate and quick up shift stuff.

·
Registered
20 Posts
After a trip of 90 minutes, I saw the car actin a bit better, but I'm still not happy with non-sport mode. For now I'm using sport and this Monday I'm leavin the car at the dealer to align the drivers door. It's like 4-5mm out of line at the top. So when driving over 130km/h its noisy and I can feel the cold air going in.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After a trip of 90 minutes, I saw the car actin a bit better, but I'm still not happy with non-sport mode. For now I'm using sport and this Monday I'm leavin the car at the dealer to align the drivers door. It's like 4-5mm out of line at the top. So when driving over 130km/h its noisy and I can feel the cold air going in.
Hey can you take a photo of that? I want to compare it to mine.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Wtf i'm going to take a look at mine now. I've been up to 85 and havent noticed anything but im used to acuras level of usual noise.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm going to err on the side of Acura here and say it is an adaptive transmission that has to learn. Probably also break-in period.

There will be software updates over time if it's like the earlier 6-speed units.
I had read in a couple places on here that the 9spd adapts right around 1600 miles...they were right. I'm at almost 1800 now and the transmission is really smooth. It even eliminated the weird upshift when you hit the brake weirdness for the most part (experienced that a couple times driving down into Carmel from Monterey).

I'm starting to like the weirdo 9ZF finally

·
Registered
56 Posts
hmm..something that i've been thinking about is that during break in (<500 miles) i've been deliberately trying to keep it below 4k, so in theory it will take at least that much longer for it to assume and learn that it should hold onto it longer as well right?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had read in a couple places on here that the 9spd adapts right around 1600 miles...they were right. I'm at almost 1800 now and the transmission is really smooth. It even eliminated the weird upshift when you hit the brake weirdness for the most part (experienced that a couple times driving down into Carmel from Monterey).

I'm starting to like the weirdo 9ZF finally
Similar experience here, used sport mode mainly during the first few months (~ 2000 mi) as normal mode was sluggish and inconsistent. At some point after that I found normal mode to be much more responsive and smooth. At that point, sport mode was nice when I needed better acceleration and for a more aggressive driving style. Although, in normal mode, I find first gear to be just a bit too slow to accelerate for everyday driving. I wish this was user configurable also.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey can you take a photo of that? I want to compare it to mine.
Sorry I saw your message too late, after one hour at the dealer, they fix the door. It a was simple to see, at the top of the door, I can see the difference between the two Chrome pieces. The rear door was like 2-3mm in and the front door a bit out. I'll put a photo with the door fixed today. Sorry about that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts