Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since getting my used '08 MDX a few weeks ago, I've been replacing all the fluids in the vehicle just to be sure they were the correct stuff. (it was not serviced at an Acura Dealer)

Got to the rear differential today and immediately noticed the smell of 90W gear oil as soon as I opened the fill plug. Sure enough, 90W is what drained out.

I did a 2X drain/fill with DPSF with some driving in between to flush out the 90W.

Sound like a plan? Other advice?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Since getting my used '08 MDX a few weeks ago, I've been replacing all the fluids in the vehicle just to be sure they were the correct stuff. (it was not serviced at an Acura Dealer)

Got to the rear differential today and immediately noticed the smell of 90W gear oil as soon as I opened the fill plug. Sure enough, 90W is what drained out.

I did a 2X drain/fill with DPSF with some driving in between to flush out the 90W.

Sound like a plan? Other advice?
I think I would have done the same thing. How does it sound now in operation? THIS is why I like to DIY. This sort of thing happens all the time with dealers and indy mechanics alike.

By the way, I saw your earlier thread on the transfer case fluid. Here is my maintenance log I use to track intervals. PM me your email address if you're interested and I can send your way. It's in MS Excel so you can change the intervals to your liking. I don't use the maintenance minders (factory recommended intervals) on any of my vehicles. :headshake

I also have a pretty thorough DIY on this site for the coolant change if you haven't tackled that yet.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
delirium330,

Yep - and the offending independent shop is a fairly good & reputable one in the area. I'll have to stop and let them know. (It's an Acura not a '63 Chevy pickup truck!)
Plus it's stamped right next to the filler hole - "ATF"

PM sent about the spreadsheet - thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts