Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the features I love about the 9 speed is that it puts itself in park automatically when you open the door. I use it all the time.

Today I got my MDX serviced. The dealer gave m a brand new 2017 RDX as a courtesy car. I needed to grab my garage remote out of a bag in the trunk. I open the door and hop out. Walk to the back of the RDX and it is not there. It is driving down the road by itself.. I run after it like a mad man. Open the door, jump in and wrestle control of the car just before it was going to take out a Subaru. Talk about close.

I told the Acura Service Manager my story. He told me it has happened to him too.

Then on the way home. I was stopped waiting to merge into traffic. I had a small opening. Just as I went to punch it, auto start stop turns the engine off. Luckily the start up time was pretty fast when I hit the gas.

I hate Friday the 13ths. Geez.

I still love the 9 speed transmission.

One thing I noticed on the RDX is that pause exists in the transmission too on downshifts.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
^^ So did the tranny fail to go into park when it should have or is it that it operates differently on the RDX where by design it doesn't go into park simply by opening a door?

I have the 6 speed but if I had one of those new fangled transmissions with the buttons I think I'd always hit it with my finger to proactively put it in park rather than relying on the vehicle being smart enough to put it into park for me when I open a door, etc. But maybe I'd change my behavior if I actually had one. So far in my life - shifting from Drive to Park has never been an ordeal, challenge, or hassle to do - it's one of the least troublesome things in my life - i.e. I don't feel a need to have a vehicle shift to park for me. Some things are better off leaving simple and straightforward.

- I'm glad the vehicle didn't hit anything and didn't hurt you or anyone else. That was a close one.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^ So did the tranny fail to go into park when it should have or is it that it operates differently on the RDX where by design it doesn't go into park simply by opening a door?

I have the 6 speed but if I had one of those new fangled transmissions with the buttons I think I'd always hit it with my finger to proactively put it in park rather than relying on the vehicle being smart enough to put it into park for me when I open a door, etc. But maybe I'd change my behavior if I actually had one. So far in my life - shifting from Drive to Park has never been an ordeal, challenge, or hassle to do - it's one of the least troublesome things in my life - i.e. I don't feel a need to have a vehicle shift to park for me. Some things are better off leaving simple and straightforward.

- I'm glad the vehicle didn't hit anything and didn't hurt you or anyone else. That was a close one.
Hi MDXSTANG. The 2017 RDX has the 6 speed transmission with the gear shift. My reliance on the 9 speed push button auto park messed me up. My fault from being in the 9 speed operational daze.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think you should edit the title of this thread. It's not the 9-speed transmission's fault. There's enough thrashing around regarding the 9-speed, people unaware of the TSB, etc. and no need to make it look like it it could have caused a "horrific accident."

And most people won't realize the 2017 RDX has a 9-speed by the first post, which is the only post many will bother to read. They'll just chalk up the 9-speed as being the horrible evil thing.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Yeah misleading thread title.. This was more of a user error than the fault of the car.
By the first post I get that the RDX has the 9 speed auto.....

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Okay - I'm glad to hear it wasn't a fault of the vehicle but it sounds like relying on the 'smart' aspects of the vehicle putting itself in park has its downsides if one gets to habituated to it and forgets they're in a different vehicle - like me when I switch from a vehicle from the console mounted shifter versus column mounted one and my hand heads toward the wrong one - or the emergency brake is in a different position.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Wow glad everyone is ok. I can easily see how that could happen. When I had a loaner of the 16 mdx, I had trouble opening the door and looking at the parking line one time. I also did not like looking down at the buttons and shifting from reverse to park and taking my eyes off the road. I know you've said you did, but in the 3 weeks I had it I couldn't and hated it.
Wish an option was the shifter vs buttons. Probably going to be the reason I and the other 4 owners in family leave Acura.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
It sounds a headline you would see in the enquirer. I like Tech as much as the next person but auto Park for the Trans? Is it really that much trouble? I guess if you never drove a different car it's not a problem. Sometimes there is overkill.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To all that replied. Good points. The RDX has a 6 speed transmission. The 2016 MDX has a 9 speed which puts itself in park when you open the door. I messed up. I assumed the RDX had auto park and just stepped out of the car while it was running and in drive causing the RDX to drive away by itself. I was being a doofus and was damn lucky. It is too easy to depend on technology making your brain useless.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I am all in for things like:
Adaptive Cruise (Way useful so you don´t have to override and reset every time traffic changes average speed, This is the next step in cruise control)
Crash Avoidance Tech (High Speed automatic Stop for sudden front car brakes or those nasty brake checks, Sometimes they happen in a split second and we cant react fast enough)
Auto High Beams (Jesus Christ every time some douchebag blinded me in dark backroads because they forget it)
Auto Leveling Headlights (Same reason as before but now for the towing crowd)
Hill Start (For manuals though now rare, unless you have been doing manuals for long enough? Hill starts aka San Francisco is a nightmare in a Manual)
Lane Keep Assist (Passive: This in conjunction with adaptive cruise control is a good combo for comfort but still keeping your attention in the road)

Things that will surely makes us lazy and more prone to distractions in the future:
Auto Park (This like, Jesus.. How difficult can this be? this is the equivalent of zipping down for peeing)
Brake Auto Hold (Granted sometimes is frustrating to keep your foot depressed in traffic, You know what also is frustrating? Waiting for the front guy to stop texting because he's so comfortable not pressing the brake and paying attention to traffic)
Auto Downhill Mode (Off Road; Because it takes away skill to control the car in different emergency situations a car is not a toy so it shouldn't have a "Demo Feature" for off roading)
Auto Climb/Crawl Mode (Off Road; Like seriously why bother off road at all)
Crash Avoidance Tech (Low Speed, Because you should be aware of things all the time while you drive through the city, This feature was literally made to enable texting)
Lane Keep Assist (Active: This is literally self explaining, The car should not steer by itself unless your doing something seriously irresponsible. If this is the case you should not be driving a vehicle at all)......

I was just seeing a thread on Tesla´s Autopilot the other day... Just another way to things like these to happen.
"Hey I just tested this car and crashed, I was expecting it to drive itself like my Tesla" < Next Thread headliner.

Reactions: hondacuraplanet

·
Registered
366 Posts
While most people bash the new electronic gear buttons over the shift lever, I actually loved the 16+ MDX setup. Our XC90 has a traditional gear shifter, and my wife was excited to have that back as she thought the buttons were weird. That said, I really liked being able to just shut the car off and it went into Park or just open the door and it goes into Park. I prefer this button setup, I'm not sure why most people don't. I'm guessing it was like when automakers started taking the cassette deck out (and now the CD slot). It just takes people time to get used to the future, and I think this type of convenience and innovation is the future.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Probably because Buttons are not engaging, There is a secure feel when moving the lever and feel the action through your hand and arm noticing the notches in the gear. A button is weird as you have to TRUST something happened when you pushed that button, there is no feedback what-so-ever.

Also lets remember why Acura used that moronic feature "Because the lever took space".. That´s it! no innovation no nada..
Why Mercedes Benz or BMW aren´t using push button in their most expensive cars? because its not innovation when you overkill a function. Just like Push Button Start is beyond Retarded. These kind of "Innovations" are a step back. I hope automakers don´t start this trend like they did with the dumb Push Button.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Removing the shift lever is very different from the push button start. Push button start is linked to the proximity key. It's moronic if you can unlock/lock the doors without using your keyfob and yet you can't start the car. This is one feature in our MDX and RDX that I really like. You just leave your keyfob in your pocket.

Push button shifter is the one I can live without. I had a loaner TLX v6 and while I appreciate some of the tech, it does not make any thing easier or harder for me. I got used to it in one day. I think the issue is if you have this kind of tech in your daily driver and suddenly you need to drive a "low tech" car. You built a habit and it annoys you to not having that in the other car. Happened to me all the time when we still had our 2008 civic and when driving a rental.

Don't blame the car for having this tech. You already knew that before buying the car.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
There are cars that used push button with regular keys being completely redundant.
The new proximity FOBs for Push Buttons is over engineering at best, You still need the keyfob with you as having a regular key thus defeated the purpose.
The only difference is that you don't insert the key fob into a slot and turn the key to start the car.. There are some examples like in the early Aston Martins that adopted the proximity FOB, they had to insert it into a slot in the dashboard to push the button and start the car basically like a low end key without a key.

Try this.. Leave your proximity fob in your house and try to start the car? can you do it? The most likely answer is No.
Why even bother with proximity FOBs at all then? you still need to have it with you.. Its over engineering just to stop you from clicking it to open the door..
They changed the steps format but its actually a slower method to start the car..

Lets try counting the steps to start the engine shall we?

Regular lowly peasant key with Fob:
1.- Get near car and unlock it, get it and close the door (1 click Fob = 1 human intervention)
2.- Insert the key and start the car (2nd human intervention though only 1 to start the engine)

New Proximity Key
1.- Get near the car (it will automatically unlocks as you get near), get it and close the door
2.- Press the Brake Pedal (1 human intervention) and Push the Button (2 human interventions just to start the engine).

Winner: Lowly peasant key with fob, Just need 1 human intervention to start the engine.
Obviously a low end physical key is not cool or hip or feels futuristic and expensive enough to justify your 50-60K car.

The best way to do proximity fob that actually trumps over a low end key would be if the car starts for itself without human intervention, with a set of specified steps.

My way would be: Get in, Close the door and buckle up (Engine Starts) BUMM That is the BEST way to do KEYLESS Entry and Start, You still need to buckle up to drive so that is not only a true Keyless System without being redundant but also a feature that enhances safety..
The way we have it now is just smoke and mirrors, Not really better than a low end key but feels more futuristic without actually being.

·
Registered
305 Posts
The purpose of the proximity key is for customers don't have to get their keys out of their pocket. Yes, the old key will still work just as fine. But for us who like the ease of not having to dig into their pockets or bags for the key is convenient, especially if we have things on our hands.

Your lucky because the MDX still has the actual key and you can use that to open your doors so that you don't feel you are being conned by technology. Unfortunately, you will still have to push that red button to start your car. Oh the burden!

So you want a prox key that let you start the car by just pressing the brake pedal and buckling the seatbelt. But I just want to start the car because I would like to pair my new phone or adjust my presets or I need to check a noise I heard under the hood, do I need to buckle my seatbelt for it? Or I just need to do a quick 7-11 run while my wife and kids are in the car under a 120 degree day. With your logic, you need the seat belt buckled in order for the car to start the engine. How do you plan turning it off? By unbuckling the seatbelt and it automatically turns the engine off? You see how stupid that is if the car does not give you a choice?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
33 Posts
Keyless push-button start is here to stay. The simplest use case that affects many buyers are women who carry their keys in their purses. They don't need to dig the keys out. Which, if you have a girlfriend or wife, you know can take forever. Keyless entry to unlock and get in, push the button to start, done, no digging in the purse. Makes searching for and pulling out the key+fob prehistoric.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I like how my 2012 Volvo C70 does it. Keyless if you choose. The key can stay in your pocket. Or you can put it in the ignition to start. Or,there is a fake key that stays in the ignition all the time. Key stays in your pocket and you turn the fake key to start. I like the fact that there is no question how to turn the car off. Just turn the key.

·
Registered
151 Posts
this thread title .... I was picturing a child almost getting run over.... Thank god it wasn't

I think the buttons are ok but there should be some sound and haptic feedback to know for sure you've made the selection ... Voice "drive"

1 - 18 of 18 Posts