Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a set of Infinity 652i's in the front doors today and WOW what a difference. Initially I was satisfied with the Bose system, but as my speakers broke in they started sounding looser and less defined, I guess that's what cheap speakers do? I am going back and getting another set for the rear doors tomorrow. Can't wait!:D
Just letting everyone know that it doesn't cost much money or time (time=money) to do this and the payoff is GREAT.
Josh

·
Registered
1,713 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
"I installed a set of Infinity 652i's in the front doors today and WOW what a difference. "

Keller,

Did you need any additional wiring or a harness? If so, which one?
Is it the same one for the rear doors?

Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried etonics, they claim on their site that they are not available at this time. I do buy most of my stuff from them though.:D
As far as a harness, I went to a Best Buy install shop and asked for a harness for my MDX. They are only $5 per pair.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Buyloud.com an 150% match guarantee, if you are able to contact the customer service. They have it for $69.99 I think. Maybe you can have them match etronics price. I've also seen it other places for $65 after a search on google.com .

·
Registered
1,713 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
What's up with Bose?

Hey gang, I'm getting my 02' MDX HB in August some time. I've been reviewing the posts on the subject of how crappy the upgraded Bose sound system is. Why would Acura install speakers that are POS? I always thought Bose was equated with quality? I'm torn on this issue. Be it this upgraded sound system comes with the touring package but can it be ordered without speakers? Why should I have to pay too much $ for the Bose when it appears alot of you are ripping them out in favor of the Infinity speakers. I wonder if Acura has had many complaints from customers that feel the speakers are sub-standard? Perhaps the 2003 model will correct this? Are these Infinity speakers that everyone recommends of the right ohm rating? I think that Bose speakers are 4 ohms? Is it difficult to install them?
I might appear bias toward Bose only because I also own a used 1991 Nissan Maxima that has the Bose sound in it. Well, the drivers door speaker blew and when inquiring about the replacement cost for 1 speaker,the cost was close to 800$ (Not sure if this included installation?) WTF? It was suggested I tear the whole system out including receiver replacing it with a whole new system for the same cost as one speaker gaining better sound. This has me concerned with the Bose system in the MDX. I'm not perpared to pay that kind of money down the road when the speakers start to blow.
Perhaps I'm being overly critical but I love good clean crisp sound with alot of punch. Paper cones huh?
Go figure

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Re: What's up with Bose?

cvol said:
I've been reviewing the posts on the subject of how crappy the upgraded Bose sound system is.
Go figure
Like you I was concerned about the sound of the stereo prior to getting my MDX. During a test drive prior to my purchase I was able to try out the stereo briefly and thought it was OK.

I have been more than pleased with the sound since I have received my X and have had a chance to use it. Some of my oldie CD's don't sound that great, but they sound not great on the relatively expensive stereo in the house. Classical music sounds great in the X IMO although I admit I am not a big sound buff.

In my experience I have been pleasantly surprised at the sound, possibly from lowered expectations from reading here.

With that said I discussed with my wife some of the posters experience with speaker upgrades and we will probably do so in the near future.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
While speaking to some installers at a local shop they had major resevations as to whether the Bose system was actually upgradable. They claimed that the older Bose systems used all kinds of strange tricks that would not allow for upgrades (different line levels for signal, 3 ohm speakers etc..) I assured them of what I had read on this sight and after I installed the new speakers they were suprised at the sound improvement and ease of the upgrade. I told them it took me 10 minutes and they asked me if I wanted a job..no thanks:D As far as the stock speakers go, they must have cost about $.50 to make. Paper cones, thin cheap surround matterial, excursion on the front door speakers could have been no more than 1/4 inch, pushed any further and the surround material would start to deform, CHEAP stuff we got in our doors. Needless to say I am VERY dissapointed at the quality of the factory system and for such cheap components it sounded unbelievably decent at first but as I said earlier the sound quality seemed to dissapear after several hours of use. I play my music loud and listen to everything (except country;) ) . In comparison the Infinities are VERY high quality and sound the difference.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Another SOUND testomonial!

Keller said:
While speaking to some installers at a local shop they had major resevations as to whether the Bose system was actually upgradable. They claimed that the older Bose systems used all kinds of strange tricks that would not allow for upgrades (different line levels for signal, 3 ohm speakers etc..) I assured them of what I had read on this sight and after I installed the new speakers they were suprised at the sound improvement and ease of the upgrade. I told them it took me 10 minutes and they asked me if I wanted a job..no thanks:D As far as the stock speakers go, they must have cost about $.50 to make. Paper cones, thin cheap surround matterial, excursion on the front door speakers could have been no more than 1/4 inch, pushed any further and the surround material would start to deform, CHEAP stuff we got in our doors. Needless to say I am VERY dissapointed at the quality of the factory system and for such cheap components it sounded unbelievably decent at first but as I said earlier the sound quality seemed to dissapear after several hours of use. I play my music loud and listen to everything (except country;) ) . In comparison the Infinities are VERY high quality and sound the difference.
The older Bose stuff was better engineered! Harder to upgrade, but LESS NEED! The quality of aftermarket speakers continues to SOAR above all but a very small number of OEM equipment -- certainly the MDX deservers better!

Whether you like higher listening levels or lower, one would think that with all the interior space and sunroof Acura would have spec'ed speakers that would fill the MDX with great sound, and as you and MANY others have found out, this just ain't the case...

No surprise that the installers weren't "up to sped" on current Bose hijinks -- unfortunately far too many drivers get their Bose factory system and think "that's as good as it gets". I'd guess the most popular vehicles for upgrades are the "import sport compacts -- 'rice burners'" and often they have dated and/or base radios...

Good Listening!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good point about the rears, I was thinking that they were afraid of having to use a fader to get the sound dynamics correct so they just used even crappier smaller speakers in the rear to elliminate any chance that the rears would over power the fronts and move the listening stage back behind the driver.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Agreed. Part of the blame goes to Bose, which does make some bad products. But most of the blame goes to Acura, who obviously were only williing to pay Bose a certain amount of $'s to get a certain level of audio equipment, which Acura had to be able to review and approve. There are Bose systems in some other vehicles that are probably better than the Bose in the MDX (as I'm sure there are worse Bose systems too).

While an Alpine system for the same (limited, obviously) $'s Acura paid Bose might have sounded a little better, I think the real problem is what Acura was willing to pay for!

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I can not imagine much worse. I mean I have heard stock systems without much highs or lows, because of cheap drivers.
They just sound lifeless, compressed.
Normally they are 4 ohm speakers and nice improvements can come about with a switchout with something like the Infinitys.
But the Bose sounds dynamically unbalanced to me to start with.

·
Registered
747 Posts
OK, while I'm fascinated as he** with all this wisdom you guys are spewing, I'm also confused as he**. My birthday is coming up and this is definitely something I want to upgrade.

Is there a thread or can someone post everything I'll need, including speakers (your recommended brands/models), amount of dynamat, wire cutters, or is this just asking way too much (is it far too complex for that)? Bear in mind, I've never installed my own stereo, so if you think it's over the head of a novice, just say so...feel free to be brutally honest...

THANKS!!
My goal is to look like this guy when I'm in my 'X-- :18:
:D
Rob :31:

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Rob,
I would be glad to tell you how I did it, and you don't even need to cut any wires!
For now order the speakers, the Infinitys are readily available,

Order 2 pr. of speakers

http://www.millionbuy.com/inf652.html

Order 2 sets of Dynamat Extreme

http://store.yahoo.com/millionbuy/dyn10415.html

I am assuming you are going to go with replacing all door speakers, might as well!

You will need a standard Phillips screwdriver and a sharp bladed
knife like an Exacto, etc. and
electric drill to mount the speakers
with 4 screws not 3 like the Bose.

Go to a car stereo place like Circuit City and get 2 pairs of speaker connector adapters
They probably will not have
MDX listed, but find a full size Acura like
a TL, the latest model. I don't have the
packaging but the model number is something like 7008....

Now, sit back and wait for your merchandise to arrive. IN the meantime
start reading the procedure here:

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3270&highlight=Pioneers

and

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/show...70&perpage=15&highlight=Pioneers&pagenumber=4

Feel free to email me for more information and even photos. It's very easy to pop the baffles off the door so I can do that and take pics no problem.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Well, after weeks of procrastination, for $175, its time to dive in...I have ordered speakers and dynamat, tommorrow I will pick up wiring harnesses, and next week I will attempt the install as well. I too am a novice at this.

Dale, thanks for the encouragement and links. :p

·
Registered
747 Posts
DaleB said:
Rob,
I would be glad to tell you how I did it, and you don't even need to cut any wires!
You ROCK Dale!! :6:

Thanks so much for your time and effort in putting this together! I (and it sounds like Maik) appreciate it!!

1 question--have you replaced your sub, and is it worth the extra $$ and time?

Thanks again amigo--I'll try not to PM you, but I appreciate the availability...
Rob :18:

·
Registered
747 Posts
Robyjo said:

1 question--have you replaced your sub, and is it worth the extra $$ and time?

Rob :18:
Whoa--information overload...OK, I just read through the threads you posted, Dale, and there's plenty of opinions on Subs and everything else...

Thanks again!!
Rob :31:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts