·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
616 Posts
MDXtrous,

Sorry, I don't have any info on this LCD but I do have a question. I am seriously thinking of setting up an "auto-pc" in the MDX using the ARMNote G1 as the base (it should fit in the cubby under the ashtray/lighter - perhaps removing the plastic shield at the back of the cubby to provide adequate air-flow). I would use it for NAV, DVD playback, 10GB+ of MP3s etc. . It comes with both S-video and RCA video out so I can easily connect a flip down LCD for the rear passengers. BUT, I still need a display for the driver operations. I am willing to give up the touch-screen capability (I am comfortable using a handheld trackball) but I need at least 800x600/SVGA res. (for NAV) preferably in 8" - 10" diag. form factor using standard DB15 VGA connector. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
donsev,

I assume you don't have Nav already. If you did you could check the following link in converting the existing 7 inch screen for that purpose. With the RCA outs you could connect to the screen. But some have said that it's also possible with the non-nav screen. I'm not sure about that. But I think that would beat the other solutions. Your other option is to try some of the in-dash screens. You can try www.theautoaccesories.com or ebay for that. They hide away when not in use.

Hope this helps.

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3494&highlight=video+navi

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
616 Posts
MDXtrous,

No, I did not get the Nav (I knew that I am too much of a hacker at heart to have left it alone, so why bother). Yes the one downside to that decision was that it would have given me a built in full color LCD display in the dash. But for much less than the $2k, I should be able to put together one helluva cool replacement. Also, while I do not know the resolution specs of the Acura Nav display, (anyone? anyone?), my recollection was that it appeared to be at best, 640x480. Most Wintel based Nav software requires 8x6. The other factor is that we frequently change cars so I was also looking for a *semi*-permanent solution. Crude as it may sound, one option was to simply mount the replacement LCD display *over* the existing non-nav display with some heavy duty velcro tape. (I've realized that after a year, I almost never need nor look at the existing display). The in-dash (pop-up) displays would require futzing with the current Bose and head unit which I would prefer not to do. Thanks for your feedback, and the info on the 8" flipdown, I may look into that for the rear seats.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
616 Posts
Yep, that is another option I considered (and also how I might mount the display). But the Armnote gives me the CPU HP and disk space to do all the things I wanted with the device. I guess I will keep looking for just the display but keep my options open (and I may have to dust off my old eBay account)

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
616 Posts
I had looked through their site based on your earlier post but unfortunately I was/am only able to find displays with composite video (RCA) inputs supporting NTSC. That won't give me the resolution (most of the screens only support up to 234 pixels on the vertical) nor the clarity (inherent in NTSC) I would need. The only panel they have that offers decent resolution (1024x768) is a 13"er which is a *little* to big to mount near the dash (and it only supports composite inputs :( ). Even their custom modules are all low res/composites. While fine for video, they would be tough to use for song lists or navi. Still, the prices are tempting even though I know I would likely be disapointed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts