Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a trailer (camper) with electric brakes.

i have done searches but have only found information on the electric brake controller itself (the preferred on is the tekonsha P3), which i am happy to buy.

The answer i cannot find, is how i get a 7 pin adapter at the back of the vehicle.

i currently have a utility trailer, and use the pin adapter for that, but i cannot find a kit that gives me 7 pin.

any ideas?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
What year is your MDX? As an example I looked up a 2011 and it’s showing part number 08L91-STX-200A for the harness. Should be a 7-pin.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2009, sorry

also, any chance of modifying the 4 pin i have now? it does plug into the drivers rear fuse panel in the trunk.

·
Registered
869 Posts
2009, sorry

also, any chance of modifying the 4 pin i have now? it does plug into the drivers rear fuse panel in the trunk.
No chance. You need reverse and 12V power for the "7-pin" RV style receptacle. Your 4 pin has neither.

Check etrailer.com for aftermarket wiring harness options. But the OEM Honda/Acura kits are typically very good, just expensive.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i saw a universal 7 pin that plugs into a 4 pin and then you have to wire up the other 3.

anyone have experience with those?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
It’s a safety thing... don’t ghetto rig it. Just get the proper harness.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I forked out the cash for the Acura harness for my '09.

Did not want any hassles with jerry rigging up something to make it work.

If you can, try to buy the harness State side, way cheaper.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I am looking to buy a trailer (camper) with electric brakes.

i have done searches but have only found information on the electric brake controller itself (the preferred on is the tekonsha P3), which i am happy to buy.

The answer i cannot find, is how i get a 7 pin adapter at the back of the vehicle.

i currently have a utility trailer, and use the pin adapter for that, but i cannot find a kit that gives me 7 pin.

any ideas?
08L91-STX-200 is the part number you want and comes with everything you need. It patches into the existing vehicle harness.
Where to buy: Acurapartswarehouse.com has it for $138.00 and Amazong has it for $155.00. Search the partnumber on Google and see what is least expensive online and purchase that.
Install instructions: available at the acurapartswarehouse and when you search with the part number. (Due to my post count, I cant provide you a direct link on this post).

Word of advice. I am an active member on ROC (ridgeline owners club) and folks get on there asking the same question you ask, how to spend 20 bucks and get something to work like OEM and without any issues. They rig it from their tail lights then wonder why they have all these weird warning on their dashboard and melted wires with non working tail lights. As a fellow member indicated, get the OEM harness, spend the couple of bucks and do it right. You will thank yourself many times over.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Is a brake controller still needed with the OEM harness installed? I also need to install a 7 pin plug.
Brake controller is only needed if you want to tow a trailer with an electronic brakes and you want to use them. The OEM harness kit comes with the brake controller harness and its install instructions. If you are not using a controller, you need not hook up that part. You may, should you plan on doing it in the future.
You may want to follow the advise I provided in the previous post to get your 7-pin harness.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts