Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am coming up on my 7,500 mile service. I have liked my MDX so far. So I pull out the 2003 MDX manual (pages 298-9) to get the official maintenance list from Acura.

I cannot find any 7,500 mile service due on the MDX other than oil change and tire rotation.

The first change of the VTM-4 rear differential fluid is due at 15,000 miles.

Am I missing something??

Below are 2 excellent links to discussions on the 7,500 mile service.

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=10362&pagenumber=1

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4911&highlight=7500+mile+service

·
Registered
110 Posts
Not missing anything at all--you are right on target. Just had it done, but beware your dealer may still try to convince you that you should do the VTM now instead of waiting. The dealer I use actually didn't know that the '03 manual recommend it at 15,000.

·
Registered
100 Posts
We had an 87 Legend and the local dealer tried to increase the maintainence items and cost by about 5X over what the factory manual said the car needed. I finally called Acura and they said to stick with what the owner's manual said. All the extras the dealer said were necessary were just nonsense intended to increase the dealer's profit. I have a 03 Touring and intend to stick exactly to the owners manual including the 15K differential lube change.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Sorry to beat a dead horse...but yeah, I am certainly planning to whip out the 'ol manual at the dealership when I bring it in for oil change/tire rotate at 7500 miles when the service guy will undoubtedly say "you need VTM fluid changed".

I dunno if in the 2001/2002 the manual states 15K as well or 7500.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Wait till you get a quote from the dealer for charges for this oil change and tire rotation.:13: (and questionable inspections for a new vehicle)

·
Registered
11,138 Posts
ndahbar said:
Sorry to beat a dead horse...but yeah, I am certainly planning to whip out the 'ol manual at the dealership when I bring it in for oil change/tire rotate at 7500 miles when the service guy will undoubtedly say "you need VTM fluid changed".

I dunno if in the 2001/2002 the manual states 15K as well or 7500.
The 02 manual says 7500 for the first VTM change.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just had mine 7500 miles service done yesterday. The total with a bottle of touchup paint came out to be ~172 :( . What a ripped... :3: .

I feel that the $25 oil change is not too bad to let the dealer do it. I'll do the oil change myself when I decide to go with Mobil 1 Synthetic. But the major services, I may have to look else where from now on.

·
3,109 Posts
The odd thing I haven't heard of before is that the 7500 mile service for the 2003 only requires an oil change, i.e. just the oil, not the filter :confused: The filter change is scheduled to be done at the 15000/1yr service.

·
Registered
470 Posts
ndahbar said:
I had this conversation with a service manager at the dealer the other day. Of course, he started by saying that I need the VTM fluid changed at 7500 miles. I calmly explained to him (before pulling out the manual) that this had been changed for the '03 MDXs and it isn't required until 15000 miles. He turned to another service tech and said "It's VTM at 7500 for all MDXs, right?"... to which the tech said "Yup." So... I took out the manual and showed him. He wasn't real interested in trying to decipher the actual Owner's Manual so he turned to his "magic Acura computer" and proceeded to type and read for several minutes. He then turned back to me and said... "oh yeah... that's right... the DID change it for the '03s but, given our severe climate and traffic we go by the severe schedule for all cars". When I questioned this he shrugged me off by saying "of course, you're the customer... you can do whatever you want."

Severe climate? :confused: I'm in the suburbs of Chicago... not south Florida or northern Canada!

Traffic? :confused: Granted we don't have the best traffic in the burbs but, it's not downtown Chicago, New York or LA either.

I may or may not decide to go with the severe schedule due to my driving patterns but, I hate it when the dealer tries to 'put one over' on the unsuspecting customer. Of course they'd apply the severe schedule whenever they can... it's more money in their pocket!
:3:

·
Registered
11,138 Posts
zafer said:
The odd thing I haven't heard of before is that the 7500 mile service for the 2003 only requires an oil change, i.e. just the oil, not the filter :confused: The filter change is scheduled to be done at the 15000/1yr service.
No filter change, that's ridiculous!

·
Registered
11,138 Posts
rjmitche said:
I had this conversation with a service manager at the dealer the other day. Of course, he started by saying that I need the VTM fluid changed at 7500 miles. I calmly explained to him (before pulling out the manual) that this had been changed for the '03 MDXs and it isn't required until 15000 miles. He turned to another service tech and said "It's VTM at 7500 for all MDXs, right?"... to which the tech said "Yup." So... I took out the manual and showed him. He wasn't real interested in trying to decipher the actual Owner's Manual so he turned to his "magic Acura computer" and proceeded to type and read for several minutes. He then turned back to me and said... "oh yeah... that's right... the DID change it for the '03s but, given our severe climate and traffic we go by the severe schedule for all cars". When I questioned this he shrugged me off by saying "of course, your the customer... you can do whatever you want."

Severe climate? :confused: I'm in the suburbs of Chicago... not south Florida or northern Canada!

Traffic? :confused: Granted we don't have the best traffic in the burbs but, it's not downtown Chicago, New York or LA either.

I may or may not decide to go with the severe schedule due to my driving patterns but, I hate it when the dealer tries to 'put one over' on the unsuspecting customer. Of course they'd apply the severe schedule whenever they can... it's more money in their pocket!
:3:
Jeez, "Another dirtbag dealer"!

·
3,109 Posts
hammermdx said:
7500 mile service:

Attachments

·
3,109 Posts
hammermdx said:
15000 mile service :

Attachments

·
3,109 Posts
...and thats the way it goes on, filter replacement is listed once every year or 15K miles :1pat:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Here is the summary of charges for my 7500 miles service on 8/18/03.

Parts = $45.10
"Haz-Materials" = $5.68 (huh???)
Labor-Mechanical = $113.50 (for 1-1/1/2 hrs of work)

Sub-total = $164.28
Sales Tax = $3.16

Total = $167.44

bottle of touchup paint = $5.00
Sales Tax = $0.35

My overall total = $172.79 :mad:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just dropped of the MDX for the 7,500 maintenance service. Was very clear before I brought it in that I had an 03 and did not need the VTM fluid changed. When I brought the car in, the service manager asked if I needed the VTM fluid changed. I said no, the service manual says it is not required until the 15,000 mile service. I had the service manual marked and ready (thanks to this board). He was not argumenative, but said that they are told by "the factory" to perform VTM fluid change for all MDX's at 7,500, but since we are requesting not to have it done, they won't do it.

The "factory"? Who's the one that wrote the manual?

BTW - got a loaner. Surprised that they don't take the time to atleast do a superficial cleaning before the next customer receives the car. I'm not anal about these things, but when you get in the car and there are potato chip bags and other trash laying around, I think that's kind of substandard of what I thought Acura was.

·
Registered
470 Posts
HotlantaMDX said:
Here is the summary of charges for my 7500 miles service on 8/18/03.

Parts = $45.10
"Haz-Materials" = $5.68 (huh???)
Labor-Mechanical = $113.50 (for 1-1/1/2 hrs of work)

Sub-total = $164.28
Sales Tax = $3.16

Total = $167.44

bottle of touchup paint = $5.00
Sales Tax = $0.35

My overall total = $172.79 :mad:
What services did that $167.44 get you?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts