Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading this EPA letter, I will be switching to 5w-30 oil. Ford and Honda were the driving force with the 5w-20 thing. They went through hoops just to satisfy EPA by having to promote the use of 5w-20 at the "Quick Oil Change" facilities. LOL.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Funny enough I started using 5W-30 instead of 5W-20 because of availability.. Then I found that 5W-30 was better for the engine and just stick with it. 215K on my TL-S and its running strong.

I didn´t think it twice and have been using 5W-30 in the X since I bought it.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So Ford and Honda tried to save $$$$ on R & D, they resorted to "snake oil" to gain 1-2 MPG and increased engine wear at the same time. It's a win-win for them. 1. Save money. 2. Increase profits 3. Engine won't last long causing consumers to buy new car every 7-8 years instead of 10-15 yrs.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Sad thing is that is not even that high in gains on MPGs.. My X is doing the MPGs ratings on the sticker or more, Using 5W-30.. Unless Honda was being very conservative the reality in MPG gains is very little over 5W-30 I would guess is not even a full 1 MPG, more like 0.3-0.5mpgs. Its the "Wide Picture" the EPA care about, The combined savings of all the cars using 5W-20.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, the combined savings is what they are after. I've just read this guy who tests oil brands for wear protection, the advancement of oil technology has improved a lot for the 0w-20 and 5w-20. The sleeper oil brand is Quaker State. Their 0w-20 is the top on engine wear protection surpassing their own 5w-20 and 5w-30. Their 5w-20 is worst than their 0w-20 in wear protection capability when exposed to 275F. If Quaker State 0w-20 is that good, I may switch to this instead of 5w-30 based on this test.

The unofficial test: https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
I wouldn't be too harsh on 5w20 oils. Yes, they did introduce it for fuel efficiency, but as you can see by the list on 540 RAT, you can see there are plenty of 5w20s with over 105k psi and PLENTY MORE 5w30s down south. Even the highly regarded stuff from BITOG reside under 100k psi. The letter merely reads like "hey [,back in the day], we didn't have much 5w20 stock, and the EPA recognized its fuel efficiency benefits, so we made sure these manufacturers ensured more production of it." Not to mention with API SN, everything has gone downhill. He does indeed notice some things like how the Mobil 1 breaks down at high temps, which is something the Subie community noticed as well with our hot as hell boxer engines.

Oh yeah I forgot about the whole thread about his tests on BITOG: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3854023/1

·
Registered
20 Posts
Maybe I'm not good at reading between the lines, but I couldn't find where in that document it's saying 5W20 isn't any good and that 5W30 is better?

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
^ That paper only confirms what a lot of people thought.. 5W-20 was a snake oil back in the days, It was more expensive to buy and didn´t protect the engine making it a bad option PUSHED by the manufacturer.

If you want to know why 5W-20 wasn´t good for the engines just look for old oil analysis.. 5W-20 had a lot of compromises in order to be effective as an MPG aid. Now days 5W-20 has advanced so isn´t as much of an issue but a lot but the guys that used since the beginning (CIRCA 2001) have reduced engine life in most severe cases those original engines have been already rebuilt, that bad 5W-20 was for the engine YET Honda was pushing it like CRAZY in order to win the MPG wars regardless of the known longevity issues.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I might have mis-read; but, it sounds like the paper applies only to non-syn/non-blend 5w-20 oils? I'm assuming something like mobile 1 5w-20 syn oil isn't a problem? I'm been just going by the label on the oil cap on the MDX. I still use mobile 1 5w-30 high mileage in both my TSX and RDX (syn oil required for RDX).

Reactions: ArmoredMDX

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
^ Yes it was only to the old oils.. Nowadays isn´t an issue, Yet there are also no gains of using it over 5W-30.

Reactions: 75Blazer

·
Registered
798 Posts
Just did an oil change this weekend and was reminded of the oil I use on the MDX(I maintain multiple cars so hard to remember sometimes).

I've been using M1 0W-30 Advanced Fuel Economy for the past 3 oil changes and no issues. Just for fun I decided to look up this particular oil on BITOG forums and this oil seems to be pretty good with good UOA's.

This could be a good alternative for those that live in colder climates as well. Basically it's very thin initially when you first start it but thickens up as the temps rise and is stable in the high temps without shearing.

Interesting that the label says warranty protection for 5w-30 and 10w-30 requirements meaning this should be a great substitute for those as well. It also has the more rigorous ACEA rating as well.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Is anybody using 5w-30 weight on 2010-2013 MDX ? I just did my oil change with 5w-20 but with our 3.7 having oil consumption issues, was wondering if a 5w-30 weight oil would be better for longevity of the engine. It will void warranty though correct?

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Reactions: 75Blazer

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is anybody using 5w-30 weight on 2010-2013 MDX ? I just did my oil change with 5w-20 but with our 3.7 having oil consumption issues, was wondering if a 5w-30 weight oil would be better for longevity of the engine. It will void warranty though correct?
Honda Legend 3.7L world wide uses 5w-30 as recommended oil, and alternative recommendations: [ <-30°C to >40°C, 0W-20/0W-30/0W-40; ] [<-30°C to >40°C, 5W-30/5W-40; ] [-20°C to >40°C, 10W-30/10W-40]

Acura MDX/ZDX 3.7L (China) recommended 5w-30, alternative 0w-40/5w-40.

I wonder the prolong use of 5w-20 in the 3.7L engine caused blow-by and clogged up the piston rings, and led to oil consumption progressively as mileage go higher. Starting from next oil change, I will start using 0w-30/5w-30 as recommended elsewhere around the world.

si_jeff, if your car is consuming oil, check your pcv valve. Mine was clogged up, replaced with new one helped but not fully eliminated oil consumption. Last weekend, I used BG 109, now I don't see any soot in the tailpipe. I put my finger over it every day to check. So far so good.

·
Registered
36 Posts
^ Guys, I think I am also going this route and use 5w-30 also, Pennzoil Plat and Ultra is in the thinner side of 30 weight oils and they are great with my TSX and Accord. My accord calls for 20 weight and have been using 30 weight ever since, it has over 160,000 miles and still runs like new. My TSX has over 125,000 miles and still runs strong. It just says a lot about Honda engines really.

I will start using the 30 weight and see how the engine responds. I am just very curious as I just bought this car and been reading about the oil consumption issues, although so far I have put about 4,000 miles on my '13 MDX with Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20, it has not burned any ever since I changed the conventional to the pennzoil Platinum the 3rd day I got the car. I have been checking the dipstick every week. My car has 39,000 right now btw.

At what miles does people here start to see the oil consumption?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just found this board looking for information regarding the third light. Thank you!!

Prior to learning of this debate, I found that 5W30 works better in my climate, it's hot here. It was a noisy SOB, all the time, which I thought to be valve train related. I changed the oil, 800 miles later, its fine, nice and quiet. 2009, 135K, and I'll be wrenching on it from here on out.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Regular Dino 20w oil will shear at high temps and or aggressive driving(higher rpms) more easily. Those kind of conditions really warrant the 30wt if using Dino. You can get away with using 20wt synthetic as it acts like a 30wt in high temps.

If you're doing fine on the oil you're using, there's really no reason to change it IMO.

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
Regular Dino 20w oil will shear at high temps and or aggressive driving(higher rpms) more easily. Those kind of conditions really warrant the 30wt if using Dino. You can get away with using 20wt synthetic as it acts like a 30wt in high temps.

If you're doing fine on the oil you're using, there's really no reason to change it IMO.
Well said.

While I can appreciate the technical talk of the merits of oils, in the end changing it is what's important. In 21 years with Acura, I have not ever seen an issue where one type of oil or another mattered. Sure, there are superior brands and types, but you'd have to own your Acura for 20 plus years to see any difference whatsoever, if at all.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
^ Guys, I think I am also going this route and use 5w-30 also, Pennzoil Plat and Ultra is in the thinner side of 30 weight oils and they are great with my TSX and Accord. My accord calls for 20 weight and have been using 30 weight ever since, it has over 160,000 miles and still runs like new. My TSX has over 125,000 miles and still runs strong. It just says a lot about Honda engines really.

I will start using the 30 weight and see how the engine responds. I am just very curious as I just bought this car and been reading about the oil consumption issues, although so far I have put about 4,000 miles on my '13 MDX with Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20, it has not burned any ever since I changed the conventional to the pennzoil Platinum the 3rd day I got the car. I have been checking the dipstick every week. My car has 39,000 right now btw.

At what miles does people here start to see the oil consumption?
As Alpine003 said, if Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20 works out for you, there is no need to change it. I've read somewhere at Subaru's forum that PPPP 5w-20 has a very low NOACK at 6.5% (independently tested). I didn't try this out because I had oil consumption experience with PUPPP 5w-20. This things evaporate like alcohol in MDX, and the engine seemed to run hotter too. Other than that, PUPPP is a perfect match for MDX, the engine and transmission works in harmony. There is no hard downshift with PUPPP and MDX seems to want to go faster. I missed this already, I may go back to PUPPP again with 5w-30.

I started noticing my MDX consumed considerable oil when I started using PUPPP 5w-20 (around 60K). At first, I noticed the first 2500 miles after oil change, there was no consumption, but between 2500-3000 the car lost close to a quart. Then this year, the car lost about a quart per 1500 miles. Before PUPPP 5w-20, I used PU 5w-20, this oil was better than the current PUPPP 5w-20. It has all the performance properties plus no oil consumption. With PU 5w-20, I lost a 1/4 quart per 5000 miles.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts