Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to a dealer to get part and this caught my eyes. This is not a bad looking MDX. It makes my 2011 look like old grandpa!! I better not visiting the dealer anymore. It is tempting for an upgrade!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
You cannot only look at the shell. It uses a transmission same as a lower trim Odyssey. A complete piece of Junk. This thing has zero appeal to me. If you drive a lot of Uber, a Toyota RAV4 hybrid is seriously good. 39 mpg and a electric motor on the rear axle. How can you beat that?

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I love the sporty looks and blacked out look. Don't like the price and 9AT. The sport hybrid sh-awd in the blacked out A-Spec look would be my choice for looks+performance.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Is carbon deposit a big issue on Honda direction injection engines? I hope Honda has learned from Toyota by using both direction injection and port injection. At least Audi learned from Toyota. I hope Honda would follow. Otherwise, not sure about the longevity of the new batch of engines.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can’t afford for the upgrade unless I have money to burn. After 106k mile my X is running fine other than cosmetic wears. I went through a lot of DIYs and I know my car from the inside out.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love the sporty looks and blacked out look. Don't like the price and 9AT. The sport hybrid sh-awd in the blacked out A-Spec look would be my choice for looks+performance.

Yeah I saw that on the lot and nice! But its just the look and the chassis, engine, transmission, suspension, and etc are not much difference from the earlier model.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You cannot only look at the shell. It uses a transmission same as a lower trim Odyssey. A complete piece of Junk. This thing has zero appeal to me. If you drive a lot of Uber, a Toyota RAV4 hybrid is seriously good. 39 mpg and a electric motor on the rear axle. How can you beat that?

I wouldn’t buy this car for Uber. Uber riders deserve to get a ride from a shhhitty car. I hate these cheap assss riders. These MFs don’t give you tips. I only do XL. I don’t do car pool and X. People who request car pool are fukimg cheap!

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
No way I would think about purchasing a new MDX vehicle because of the amount of depreciation the first to second year now days. I was looking at 2015 MDX Adv sh-awd on Autotrader with under 25,000 miles for around $30K. I think I rather purchase two 2015 MDXs compared to one 2019 A-Spec version for the same amount of $$$.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I like how from the side our 2nd Gens look almost the same as the current gen, despite being 10 years old. The Boss and I were watching television a few nights ago when a commercial for the new MDX came on. She asked what year ours was. I replied it is a 2008. She said they pretty much look the same to her, aside from the front and rear bumpers.

·
Registered
223 Posts
No way I would think about purchasing a new MDX vehicle because of the amount of depreciation the first to second year now days. I was looking at 2015 MDX Adv sh-awd on Autotrader with under 25,000 miles for around $30K. I think I rather purchase two 2015 MDXs compared to one 2019 A-Spec version for the same amount of $$$.

That sounds about right. Ours was $48K sticker new but I paid $38K Total with sport boards, rack & rails & all weather mats 1 year later with only 13K mi.

Buy that 2019 SpecA-Spec in 2021! If they get the MDX back to the responsive vehicle we have now I’ll probably buy a 2024 in 2026.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bought my A Spec about 5 days ago and I gotta tell you, I get plenty of looks.It's black on black.I will be changing the rims after the winter is over.I like this one better than the 2017 MDX advance package I had honestly.Just looks much cooler, sounds more aggressive and has a bench seat which the wife loves, also for some reason seems to handle a little better than my 17 MDX advance.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
In my case I should never say never.

Ended up with a brand new 19 sport hybrid advance with 7 miles on odo in March. I couldn’t find a +18 used advance in fathom blue pearl. The wait for new in that color combo was +2 months out and I had to travel to the next state over. Ended up jumping on first one that came available at the local dealership and they price matched the deal I had one state over.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Very nice, I currently have an 07, I'm eyeing the 2017 at this point as far as price points. That is when they brought the cutouts for the tail pipes and worked out most of the issues with the 9speed tranny. I would love to have the sports hybrid but not sure how maintenance will be going foward 10yrs. I will stick with the tech/ent package for now. A spec if available!

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Very nice, I currently have an 07, I'm eyeing the 2017 at this point as far as price points. That is when they brought the cutouts for the tail pipes and worked out most of the issues with the 9speed tranny. I would love to have the sports hybrid but not sure how maintenance will be going foward 10yrs. I will stick with the tech/ent package for now. A spec if available!
I was also concerned about any additional maint the hybrid might have over the regular 3.5L MDX. I started a thread on the RLX forum asking about any unexpected/expected/emergency maintenance compared to the regular +14 RLX; especially, vehicles over +100,000 miles. The only difference was doing the 7DCT and rear dual electric motor fluid exchange every 30,000 miles (it might pop up on the M.I.D. anyways every 30K). Pretty much just M.I.D. schedule maintenance RLX sport hybrid. The only other issue is making sure the Acura tech know the difference between the two MDXs because they use different AT fluid, different rear diff fluid, 4.5 qt of engine oil for the hybrid, 13" front brakes compared to 12.6" on 3.5L, and a second cooling system for the hybrid DC inverter.

I had a difficult time finding a used hybrid and I wanted the +18 hybrid version because of CarPlay. Either the +17 production numbers are very low and/or folks are just holding on to them. I would test drive 3.5L and the hybrid versions to see which one you want to live with for +100,000 miles. I like the MDX sport hybrid powertrain so much, we decided to sell our 11 MDX Adv+Ent and get an used 18 RLX sport hybrid.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
I was at the dealer a few months back and looking at the RDX, not enough cargo room. The salesman said the Hybrid MDX was the only engine that wasn't Direct Injected. I thought that was odd. Are the DI engines still having problems?

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Not sure why Acura went with the 3.0L Port engine instead of using an Earth Dreams 3.0L DI or the 3.5L DI for the hybrid? The hwy mpgs are very similar for both sh-awd and hybrid MDXs; but, +50 increase in hp/tq if they used the 3.5L+hybrid system. I also have the option of using 87 octane with my hybrid (91 recommended with 87 being minimal as stated on gas door). I don't think Acura or Honda has a 3.0L port injection (or any port injection) since going to Earth Dreams engines.

I have almost 500,000 miles between my 06 TSX, 08 RDX, and 11 MDX with port injection and it has just been one set of spark plug changes each with those engines.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Not sure why Acura went with the 3.0L Port engine instead of using an Earth Dreams 3.0L DI or the 3.5L DI for the hybrid? The hwy mpgs are very similar for both sh-awd and hybrid MDXs; but, +50 increase in hp/tq if they used the 3.5L+hybrid system. I also have the option of using 87 octane with my hybrid (91 recommended with 87 being minimal as stated on gas door). I don't think Acura or Honda has a 3.0L port injection (or any port injection) since going to Earth Dreams engines.

I have almost 500,000 miles between my 06 TSX, 08 RDX, and 11 MDX with port injection and it has just been one set of spark plug changes each with those engines.
The lighter 3.0L engine helps to offset the weight of the battery stack.
I have not heard of any carbon build up on the TLX direct injection engines.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Great....a tarted up X with a semi-luxury MSRP and a crappy 9 spd AT. Yup, that's what I'm looking for from Acura. $56K US will get you a very nicely optioned and highly reliable 2020 Lexus RX-350L. And oh, by the way, Consumer Reports, J.D. Power and other significant automotive "influencers" have completely downgraded the current X's reliability to the point that it's "below average", i.e., on a par with equivalent-sized domestic SUVs.

IMHO, the value proposition Acura offered with my '91 Legend and my '09 X just isn't there anymore. Maybe Honda should just fold the Acura marketing operation back into the main company and reset with another try at a reliable near luxury vehicle. I await the 4th Gen. X with trepedation.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts