Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took delivery of my SS MDX two weeks ago and love it. I found that the 4WD fluid needs to be changed every 7,500 miles. Did anyone have experience changing the 4wd fluid themselves? Was it as easy as oil change? Or do I really need to bring my MDX to the dealer and have them charge me an arm and a leg. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
This has been discussed before; do a search on VTM Fluid, and other similar word combinations you can think of. One post mentioned that the dealers get a pump with every case of fluid they receive, and some may be willing to give/sell a pump to you. From the discussions I recall, it didn't sound difficult to change the fluid.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Copied from an old post of mine.

Changing the VTM fluid is not a big deal.

1. Make sure the vehicle is on level ground.

2. Remove the oil filler plug and sealing washer, remove the drain plug and sealing washer.

3. Clean the drain plug, then reinstall with a new washer. Tourqe the plug to 35lbf-ft.

4. Refill using the VTM-4 differential Fluid (currently only available from Acura), add the VTM-4 Fluid till it runs out the filler hole.

5. Reinstall the oil filler plug with a new washer and tourqe to 35lbf-ft.

The oil filler plug and the drian plug are on the back side of the Rear Differential. There is a hole thru the frame to access the filler plug and the drain plug is at the bottom. You can access this easily without jacking the car up, you will need a small pump to pump in the fluid as the is no room for a funnel. The differential holds 2.8l or 2.95 US qt at oil change. Hope this helps! Easier to change than the transmision oil in my Integra GSR!!

Greg in Hotlanta

·
Registered
117 Posts
Copied from an old post of mine.

Changing the VTM fluid is not a big deal.

1. Make sure the vehicle is on level ground.

2. Remove the oil filler plug and sealing washer, remove the drain plug and sealing washer.

3. Clean the drain plug, then reinstall with a new washer. Tourqe the plug to 35lbf-ft.

4. Refill using the VTM-4 differential Fluid (currently only available from Acura), add the VTM-4 Fluid till it runs out the filler hole.

5. Reinstall the oil filler plug with a new washer and tourqe to 35lbf-ft.

The oil filler plug and the drian plug are on the back side of the Rear Differential. There is a hole thru the frame to access the filler plug and the drain plug is at the bottom. You can access this easily without jacking the car up, you will need a small pump to pump in the fluid as the is no room for a funnel. The differential holds 2.8l or 2.95 US qt at oil change. Hope this helps! Easier to change than the transmision oil in my Integra GSR!!

Greg in Hotlanta

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
Gregc
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing