Votes: 29 15.8%
  • $3000+ under MSRP

Votes: 10 5.5%
361 - 380 of 426 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
So? How is the new ride???
Love it!!! I took it on Monday for full front PPF and ceramic so it was in the shop for two days. But seriously, it’s an all around well balanced SUV. Comparing to the regular MDX I do think it is night and day; of course that is my opinion. My husband was very skeptical at first, but as soon as he drove it, he understood why it put a smile on my face. Totally worth the upgrade. Ohhhh… and he really likes the white!!! Win win!!!

·
Registered
2009 MDX Bali Blue, 2022 MDX Type S Advance on order
46 Posts
Love it!!! I took it on Monday for full front PPF and ceramic so it was in the shop for two days. But seriously, it’s an all around well balanced SUV. Comparing to the regular MDX I do think it is night and day; of course that is my opinion. My husband was very skeptical at first, but as soon as he drove it, he understood why it put a smile on my face. Totally worth the upgrade. Ohhhh… and he really likes the white!!! Win win!!!
I'm trying to decide on PPF/ceramic. Only ever had PPF on my wife's first gen Lexus IS 250. That one did the job, but really showed it's age over time with rips & cuts. Looks like I have a few shops nearby that do a good job. Questions for you: do I need to completely avoid auto car washes if I get ceramic? Any special procedures for hand washing? Did you also do the interior? I actually keep my cars really clean so not sure I need interior protection. And, ballpark, how much $$ did you invest in the PPF & ceramic ... understanding of course, prices can vary widely regionally. I will be keeping my S for 10 years min, btw. Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm trying to decide on PPF/ceramic. Only ever had PPF on my wife's first gen Lexus IS 250. That one did the job, but really showed it's age over time with rips & cuts. Looks like I have a few shops nearby that do a good job. Questions for you: do I need to completely avoid auto car washes if I get ceramic? Any special procedures for hand washing? Did you also do the interior? I actually keep my cars really clean so not sure I need interior protection. And, ballpark, how much $$ did you invest in the PPF & ceramic ... understanding of course, prices can vary widely regionally. I will be keeping my S for 10 years min, btw. Thanks for any input!
Sooo… I really went back and forth with this. We are LAZY, so I really had to think about this. Besides a Volvo, I have been a die hard BMW driver, but said bye Felicia a few years ago and never invested in PPF or ceramic. So, back to the PPF. I researched the three main ones, Xpel, SunTek, and 3M. I went with SunTek with a 12 year warranty. It was $2100 for full front. As for the ceramic, I was/am still on the fence, but the company was doing a special and included their basic package that included their ceramic coating that lasts a year. This way I figure I’ll see if I can not be lazy for a year.

As for automatic car washes, I was told NO!!! (Sigh) They said even if you go to one where you do it yourself, take your own brushes, etc. I’ll just invest in some good mits, towels, and maybe a foaming cannon. They said those are fine. They said if you do car washes it will degrade how long the ceramic lasts. They also said it can damage the PPF.

The interior… I asked how much for the interior and the said $500. Then they asked what I was concerned with. I said jean transfer. Nobody eats or drinks in my car. They said honestly, buy some leather cleaner and just clean the seats once a month or so; save your money. They also made the comment that they’ve noticed the cheaper the jeans the more the transfer; which I thought was interesting.

Having picked up the car, the PPF reminds me of window tint; it needs to cure. Oh, I also had them add strips on the back where you’d add luggage. They did that for free; I had quotes of $125 or so. They did tell me don’t do anything to it for a week, especially if I was keeping it in the garage (which I am). If I was keeping it in the sun, 3-4 days. Usually I’d cringe at the thought of plopping $2k down on something like that, but honestly when I went to pick it up it sparkled… no regrets.

Happy to answer any other questions.

·
Registered
99 Posts
My 2022 Acura MDX A-Spec Apex Blue Pearl with Ebony interior is being picked up next week at a local dealership at MSRP with no haggling. I had previously purchased a 2012 TSX from them and was very happy with the dealer/service experience. Looking forward to adding the following accessories:

Roof Rails, Black
Crossbars
Running Boards
Running Boards Accent Trim, Black
Door Edge Guards
Wheel Locks, Black
Cargo Cover
Cargo Tray, Folding, A-Spec

I decided to hold off on the below due to the 6 month free subscription on the Acura App:

Remote Engine Starter System

·
Registered
2004 MDX, 2022 MDX
4,604 Posts
how much $$ did you invest in the PPF & ceramic ... understanding of course, prices can vary widely regionally.
I just had the paint coating done by the top high-end detailing shop in the Chicago area. They had previously tried a bunch of different products and the one they like the best is this graphene product (which I assume is similar to ceramic coatings). The one option they mentioned was whether or not to do the wheels, which they remove from the car and adds $100-200 to the cost, and I told them to do those too. They bill based on time and materials, and the total cost was $1000. The car had only 100 miles on it, so it didn't need much additional prep time. I've heard of other places charging 2-3 times as much.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just had the paint coating done by the top high-end detailing shop in the Chicago area. They had previously tried a bunch of different products and the one they like the best is this graphene product (which I assume is similar to ceramic coatings). The one option they mentioned was whether or not to do the wheels, which they remove from the car and adds $100-200 to the cost, and I told them to do those too. They bill based on time and materials, and the total cost was $1000. The car had only 100 miles on it, so it didn't need much additional prep time. I've heard of other places charging 2-3 times as much.
Let me know what you think of the Graphene coating. I couldn’t find any shops here that did it. That is what I was more interested in, but since my shop included the ceramic for a year, I figured I’d see if I could handle the ‘care’ involved.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
If you are keeping the car 10 years, I would definitely get a ceramic coating that will last that long (like opticoat pro plus) and consider skipping the PPF.

Having had PPF three times now, I think PPF works for a 3-5 year ownership. Any shorter and it's not worth the money, any longer and it'll start to show its age.

·
Registered
2009 MDX Bali Blue, 2022 MDX Type S Advance on order
46 Posts
All good input. The '09 has held up surprisingly well for 112K miles with absolutely no protection! My biggest concern is the "care" that Suzy references above. If it's supposed to be such an amazing product, I just don't get why car washes are so destructive. I actually love taking the time to wash a car and even wax it by hand ... big sense of accomplishment when that job gets done. However, life goes on and I just don't have the time I used to. So. Tough decision.

·
Registered
106 Posts
All good input. The '09 has held up surprisingly well for 112K miles with absolutely no protection! My biggest concern is the "care" that Suzy references above. If it's supposed to be such an amazing product, I just don't get why car washes are so destructive. I actually love taking the time to wash a car and even wax it by hand ... big sense of accomplishment when that job gets done. However, life goes on and I just don't have the time I used to. So. Tough decision.
They said it’s the brushes from the automatic car washes. They said that you have no idea what kind of crap might be stuck in them that can then scratch your car, etc. That made sense. Also, the products used in the car washes can degrade the coating too. As for the PPF, I feel like I did my research and technology has come along way with it. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hey guys I know I am a skeptic but if these ceramic and graphene and whatever coatings are such miracle products and not just a slightly tougher yet super expensive version of car wax or sealants, why haven't the OEM's gotten into the game? I would think if this stuff really made that much of a difference that a manufacturer could apply it in the factory process and then sell it as a standard for higher trim lines or something, to differentiate their product as "ultra premium" like how phone manufacturers will pay to use the latest Gorilla Glass version or whatever and use it in their marketing. Serious question, not trying to be snarky

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Only a small percentage of buyers will want or care about ceramic coatings, so my guess is car companies don't want to waste R&D and costs for it. Even if they offer options, it complicates production and would make their cars seem more expensive than competitors.

The right ceramic product is not a miracle product but it acts like a permanent wax so it makes upkeep easier.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Only a small percentage of buyers will want or care about ceramic coatings, so my guess is car companies don't want to waste R&D and costs for it. Even if they offer options, it complicates production and would make their cars seem more expensive than competitors.

The right ceramic product is not a miracle product but it acts like a permanent wax so it makes upkeep easier.
Makes sense

Still seems expensive to me though especially given it seems most ceramics companies are saying that in reality you can get maybe 4-5 years out of it. If you are paying $2000 or so that becomes 400-500 bucks per year just for the coating, and then you still need to make sure you aren't using automatic car washes etc. If you are thus needing to DIY hand washes or pay for more expensive (than automatic) hand car washes, you are already half way to doing a better babying job on the finish anyway and I would think you could just use a good sealant which might either cost you an hour of your time or maybe an extra $20-40 for the detail place to apply, and if you did that 2-3 times per year I would guess your car will also bead water and look great too, for less money. I admit I would really want to see a side by side of a ceramic (after 2-3 years) vs normally sealed or waxed car to see the difference and I haven't seen that in person to form an opinion

·
Registered
6 Posts
Makes sense

Still seems expensive to me though especially given it seems most ceramics companies are saying that in reality you can get maybe 4-5 years out of it. If you are paying $2000 or so that becomes 400-500 bucks per year just for the coating, and then you still need to make sure you aren't using automatic car washes etc. If you are thus needing to DIY hand washes or pay for more expensive (than automatic) hand car washes, you are already half way to doing a better babying job on the finish anyway and I would think you could just use a good sealant which might either cost you an hour of your time or maybe an extra $20-40 for the detail place to apply, and if you did that 2-3 times per year I would guess your car will also bead water and look great too, for less money. I admit I would really want to see a side by side of a ceramic (after 2-3 years) vs normally sealed or waxed car to see the difference and I haven't seen that in person to form an opinion
Good points of the Cost Benefit of the ceramic coating. In my experience they help keeping the cars looking great with lower maintenance. I had a ceramic coating on my 2017 CTS and the car looked great for the 2 years I owned it without a lot of effort on my part. I do a rinseless wash on my cars using ONR (look it up on YouTube) and my vehicles look great. with about 20-30 minutes of work. The coating on my MDX was $1200 and I'll probably keep the vehicle for at least 5 years. While not cheap I feel it's worth with.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dealers to stay away from in MD, Norris West (Ellicott City), they only offer $1k off msrp and don't respond to your calls, got that "we don't have to sell you a car" attitude. Rosenthal Acura, offers around $1k off. Hunt Valley, they only do $1k off msrp. Price Acura of DE offered $500 off only lol. There are other dealers that will take at least twice as much off. Remember, incentives don't count as corporate pays for them, make the dealer take some off then apply incentives.

Dealers are out to make as much as they can riding on this chip shortage but once supply gets better in a bit, they'll be regretting not selling you a car for a little more off and by then it's too late because they already left a sour taste. I will never buy from Norris West Acura as well as Laurel since they are owned or partnered by the same.
Hi, what Maryland dealer did you use?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Just purchased 2022 MDX Base FWD at MSRP of $49045 on Monday, no add ons. Prefer AWD Base but couldn’t locate one.
Interesting!

I also want an AWD base but haven't started actively shopping yet. Assumed from these boards that Acura really wasn't making any base models when they are in an undersupply situation - they would just crank out higher trim levels to make more margin per unit

·
Registered
6 Posts
2022 MDX TypeS Advance, Liquid Carbon w/Ebony
Tax,Tag,Title 3yr. oil change, Protection Package w/most options (floor mats, valve caps, mud flaps, door edge, etc) and full tank of gas
$81K out the door 5/25.
Rick Case Acura Ft Laud.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Vehicle purchased: 2022 MDX FWD W/Tech and Pearl white paint

Price paid: MSRP $54395

Did the dealer you bought from have forced dealer add on's?: Yes

If dealer had forced dealer add on's, cost and what were the add on items?: $1995 Window tint, wheel locks, cargo tray and paint protection.

Did you pay for dealer add on's?: $399 for window tint, because the vehicle I was buying was delivered just hours before I arrived, I feel it was easier to tell them I did not want the other items. Which they agreed to. To be clear I was buying window tinting no matter what

Did I have a trade in?: yes

If trading in vehicle, did you receive fair value for the trade in?: yes (one could argue that with the price they gave me for my trade in, I technically got my new car for $1500 below MSRP)

Dealer you purchased from: Acura of Tempe

Rate the dealer you purchased from (0-10): 10

Would you recommend the dealer you purchased from to friend or family?:
Yes

Dealer you also visited: Acura of Peoria

Why did you not purchase from the other dealer?: $2495 forced dealer add on. And $3000 markup over MSRP. While my sales person said getting the car at MSRP wasn't a problem. He said the $2495 package was a problem. I did speak to the sales manager before I left the dealer. Based on that conversation I knew I could not get a fair price.

361 - 380 of 426 Posts