• Don't care

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did the 49ers pick the best or the "best available"?
Yes, I know football is over right now, but this is prep time for next season.
Erickson did well at U. of Miami, not so well at Seattle, and some would argue, so-so at Oregon State. Do you think the 49ers made a good choice or are the pickin's really slim right now?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Bad choice, could have picket a much better coach. Better yet, should have kept the Mooch. Just my opinion. The SF dynasty is now over.:(

·
Registered
259 Posts
The whole situation sucks big time....I have been a niner fan for over 40 years (since I was a tiny baby!), through the good and bad times, and this is becoming one of the bad times. I'm not sorry to see Mariucci go, but I didn't like the way it was done, he was treated like crap. I thought Dennis Green was the perfect fit for this team, but what do I or anyone else know? John York just doesn't have a clue, the gig is up, niner fans prepare for the worst...I can't wait until the Lions come to SF this year, they are on the schedule, and the pressure will be on Erickson more than on Mooch...

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
After York dumped Mooch, the way he did, I lost what little interest in watching the 9ners organization. IMHO they did not improve the coaching position.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
terrible track record . . .

It really comes as no surprise to me - look at the 9ers recent track record:

Walsh - the end of the dynasty, last legit head coach.
Seifert - Walsh's OC, disciple of WC offense, won SB with Walsh's players, didn't improve team on his own.
Mariucci - 1 season as HC for Cal and he gets the 9ers job ? where are the credentials ? 9ers got exactly what they paid for - mediocre Div Ia coach, or good NFL asst coach, not a tier 1 NFL head coach.

Erickson - falls in the same mold as Mooch - nice guy, hard worker, can maintain status quo, not a franchise rebuilder and not a tier 1 NFL HC.

·
Registered
197 Posts
mdxxxx said:
After York dumped Mooch, the way he did, I lost what little interest in watching the 9ners organization. IMHO they did not improve the coaching position.
Totally agree with that. It's not like they wouldn't have gotten whupped by the Bucs in the playoffs with someone else coaching. We'll see what Erickson can do, but imho it'll be little if any improvement...just look at his results when he coached the Seahawks.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Some would say that OSU has had only 2 decent coaches since 1970, which include Erickson and his predecessor (Riley). So, as far as OSU's fortunes go, they were both good for the program at OSU. Some articles have mentioned that a number of coaches snubbed the 49 er's (management), and therefore the 49 er's may have hired the best coach that they could hire?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Interesting point, but didn't Erickson win at OSU with Riley's recruits - he had that one great season when OSU beat ND in the Fiesta bowl - all with Riley's kids. Erickson won his only Nat'l title at Miami w/ Johnson's recruits. Seems like he gets all the credit for winning with his predessessor's talent and then does nothing for the program with his recruits. 2 years ago, USC offered the HC job to Erickson which he snubbed, saying he wanted to stay loyal to OSU, his staff & his recruits and stay in Corvalis . . . hmmm, now that the cupboard is bare, what happened to loyalty ? Erickson has constantly proven in the past that he cannot rebuild struggling programs and seems to leave a lot of skeletons in the closet from the successful programs he has inherited and then abandoned . . . I feel for the OSU fans who were sold a bill of goods by a master snake oil salesman.

·
Registered
183 Posts
When, after many years living in the Bay Area (Sacramento, Fremont, San Francisco, and San Ramon), we moved to Phoenix, I thought my football life was over. I figured that I had to watch the Arizona Cardinals every Sunday, but to my surprise, they can't fill up their stadium (actually ASU's stadium) so none of their games were on TV and I got to watch the 49'ers more than I thought plus the Raiders and the Chargers. I read the Chronicle every day on the net and have been following the coaching fiasco. Yes, the 49'ers have come down a lot since the glory days and I don't believe that this coaching change will help in any way. But I'm sure that the fans here in Phoenix are now glad that the Cardinals moved to the NFL West.
Mark D.

:headshake :headshake

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
JimH said:
...Some articles have mentioned that a number of coaches snubbed the 49 er's (management), and therefore the 49 er's may have hired the best coach that they could hire?
If you were a top-tier coach, would YOU want to work for the Yorks?

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
DaleB said:
The niners have been suffering from a sickness the past several seasons. All I know about it is that it starts at the top and works down.
Isn't there a Japanese business saying that "the fish stinks from the head"?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts