Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you know the MDX is essentially a front wheel drive vehicle with the ability to switch automatically to 4 wheel drive when needed. Over the past one-year, the rear drive train on my vehicle has probably been engaged for only two or three fleeting moments.

I was wondering if such minimal usage has detrimental effect on the mechanism

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
Just drive on a couple of cliffs every week. . . you'll be fine

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Every time you accelerate, torque is applied to the rear wheels -- the amount of torque depends on the amount of acceleration, up to the limits of the system. It also actuates when wheel slippage is detected. And it works manually when the button is pushed in 1, 2, or R; then it gives full torque up to 6 mph, then linearly less until it reaches no torque at ~18 mph. But the purpose of the button is to get the vehicle unstuck; most of us will never need it.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
MDX303 said:
Over the past one-year, the rear drive train on my vehicle has probably been engaged for only two or three fleeting moments.

I was wondering if such minimal usage has detrimental effect on the mechanism
Are you referring to the VTM lock feature on the MDX? If so I doubt any harm will occur due to lack of use. I have never used mine.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Just push the button and drive straight for a few yards a few months. I've never locked mine but I'm sure it will be there when I need it, if ever. But if you're converned, just lock it up and drive it a bit. Just go straight!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts