Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Codes C1555, P0300, P0304, P0305, P0306, Trailer Stability Assist Problem, Hill Start Assist Problem, Vehicle Stability Assist Problem, Power Steering System Problem, Brake System Problem, Emissions System Problem

All of these popped up all at once today. 2016 MDX SH-AWD 47,000 miles. I started the car, pulled out the driveway, all of this started to flash and the dash lights lit up, car drove just fine before and after. If it weren't for these lights I would think nothing was wrong. Didn't misfire at all, pulled strong, I drove for about an hour. Pulled the codes, tried to clear them but they won't clear. I can only assume 1 problem is causing all of this and I don't have 11 individual issues.

Has anyone heard of this happening?

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
If you have read any posts or done a search. This usually points to the battery going bad. That would be the first place to look.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually did 2 searches but you are right, they were not very thorough and I should have taken more time. I was thinking the battery also because the same thing happened in my Audi. Dash lit up like a christmas tree. Turned out to be a bad battery. Just needed to double check, thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Put the new battery in today. All codes and failed systems cleared on their own. The radio wanted a code but also said to hold the power button for a few seconds. I did that and it turned right on. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
my car (2016 MDX) got exactly same problem (Christmas Tree of all codes), I changed battery (new battery), and the codes went away for 3 days, and came back again! I measured the voltage - around 12.4 voltage (without engine on)... try to understand what range of battery voltage should be maintained for a code free condition?

thanks!

·
Registered
2018 MDX SH-AWD Tech package
854 Posts
12.6VDC is normally fully charged. 13.5VDC should be charging engine running.
Autozone if you have one near you can read coses for free. With a OBD dongle (15$) and the app Torque you can read all your codes and clear them yourself.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I measured the voltage - around 12.4 voltage (without engine on)
That's about normal - not a problem with the battery. There are many things that can cause codes to throw and it's not unusual to have cascading codes where one issue generates codes in multiple systems.

Autozone if you have one near you can read coses for free. With a OBD dongle (15$) and the app Torque you can read all your codes and clear them yourself.
While Autozone will read the codes for free, you need to be careful to not then start throwing parts at the problem in an effort to fix it and you shouldn't take mechanical advice from the guy working the counter at an Autozone. You can clear the codes with an OBDII reader (or I assume the Autozone one), but the codes themselves aren't the problem - what's causing the codes to pop is the problem and ultimately needs to be troubleshot to determine what's wrong.

If you know you had a bad battery just prior to the codes initially being thrown, then you replaced the battery, but you didn't clear the codes, then maybe try clearing the codes and see if they return again within a few days, at which point you'll need to figure out what's wrong with your vehicle to cause it to generate the codes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
thank you guys! I did replace battery. When I restart it - all codes gone. But all of them return after 3 days on the road. Now it is time to figure out what are the root cause. Not an easy job, I had checked the fuse for VSA (vehicle stability assist) and it is ok. Next step, maybe wheel speed sensor (For ABS)?
The "tree" of problem are:
-misfire of multiple banks (P0300)
-vehicle stability assist (VSA) problem
-power steering system(EPS) problem
-brake system problem
-road departure mitigation system problem
-tailer stability assit problem
-hill start assit problem

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just wanted to give you all an update. Had the same thing happen a few weeks ago. Same exact symptoms 13 months after changing the battery. Changed the battery again and all was right again. Interstate battery gives a 30 month warranty so the took the old one and gave me a new one at no charge. Bizarre that I had the same symptoms so quickly but happy it turned out ok and at no cost.

·
Registered
30 Posts
thank you guys! I did replace battery. When I restart it - all codes gone. But all of them return after 3 days on the road. Now it is time to figure out what are the root cause. Not an easy job, I had checked the fuse for VSA (vehicle stability assist) and it is ok. Next step, maybe wheel speed sensor (For ABS)?
The "tree" of problem are:
-misfire of multiple banks (P0300)
-vehicle stability assist (VSA) problem
-power steering system(EPS) problem
-brake system problem
-road departure mitigation system problem
-tailer stability assit problem
-hill start assit problem
12.4 volts is low for a new fully charged battery. I would suspect your battery is at fault. A fully charged battery should be 12.6 volts. Have you battery tested.

·
Registered
789 Posts
That's the dreaded Xmas tree light thing, just happened to my 2019 the other day. Next time I drove they all reset and are gone now, but my battery started just fine. I take it in this week to have the dealer take a look. If not the battery I'm fully expecting they'll say they found nothing wrong and won't do anything but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
328 Posts
I got the same problem with my 16. This is the 2nd one I replaced on this car and bought one at HomeDepot. Didn't get any error codes or lights. Just won't start, have to start 2-3 times then it work again. It's not doing that all the time though, so I am not sure what cause the problem. New battery bought at HD just 3 years and 1 month.
With engine Off @ 12.66v
With engine On @ 14.22v

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just wanted to give you all an update. Had the same thing happen a few weeks ago. Same exact symptoms 13 months after changing the battery. Changed the battery again and all was right again. Interstate battery gives a 30 month warranty so the took the old one and gave me a new one at no charge. Bizarre that I had the same symptoms so quickly but happy it turned out ok and at no cost.
I did the same things, but unfortunately all codes came back just few days... not 13 months. I will keep posted of my progress.

·
Super Moderator
224 Posts
I did the same things, but unfortunately all codes came back just few days... not 13 months. I will keep posted of my progress.
I've seen this sort of thing happen with battery terminal corrosion as well. Even if you cleared the obvious buildup when you changed the battery, you want to make sure you neutralize the mating surfaces with baking soda. And since the battery terminals are well obscured in the 3rd gen MDX, it's easy to miss when the corrosion returns, so be cognizant of that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts