Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am new here. We have a Base MB on order with a July build date. We plan on taking the MDX on several road trips. My question is about putting a small child (22 months) in the 3rd row seats. I know the car is very safe and this would add comfort to the ride for Grammy and Pop in the 2nd Row but I'm a bit nervous about seeing him allllllll the way back there and worry about safety if we were hit in the back. (Oh and yes, I am a first time Mom). Has anyone put a baby seat in the back?
Thank you

·
Registered
699 Posts
I've got my child seat in the middle of the middle row. Believe me, the 'X is plenty wide for the grandfolks to sit on each side and have plenty of hip- and shoulder room.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
The second row is VERY wide that granny and pop would still be very comfortable even with a baby seat in the middle.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Dan Jedlicka's review of the MDX says that Acura told him that they have designed the MDX to withstand a 35-mph rear impact without intrusion into the third row seat. I don't know how that compares with other vehicles.

The third row is going to be closer to any rear impact, either way. It's the parent's decision whether to put the baby back there, or try to squeeze him into the third row. As others here have noted, most adults can sit to both sides of the baby in the center of the second row.

E.g. I have my son in the center of the second row, and there is good room to the right, and okay room to the left (put the skinnier adult on the left, where there's the remainder of the 60% portion that is not used by the seat). The room will vary based on the size of your car seat, of course (we have a Britax Roundabout). Then the grandparents can play with the baby during the ride!

Putting the car seat in the third row will be a little tight in terms of access (e.g. to put the child in the seat, and to strap them down). You may be better off putting the child on the driver's side of the third row seat (because of access, but you should play with it a bit if you want to use the third row.

Hope this (and the other posts here) helps!

·
681 Posts
Your Call

I agree that there is plenty room for two adults (of normal size) and a child seat in the 2nd row. Probably grandma and grandpa will enjoy being with the baby. However, if that does not work - you should feel somewhat better to know that the MDX was designed to prevent intrusion into the third row seat in the event of a collision. Although there is no Govt. test to verify this, one of our members, rlm32, conducted an informal test with a dump truck and the results indicate that the claim is valid.
Meep Meep

·
Registered
266 Posts
MSRPMoM,

I haven't even tried putting a child car seat in the 3rd row. I just think it is too close to the back and an easy target if a fender bender happens. Although, I do see an anchor attachment there.
Also see
where to place car seat

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Considering the 'cage' structure of the MDX, the 3rd row seat is still well within those boundaries, especially if the child is in the center.
The informal test referenced here is quite convincing. But it is your child, and need to assess how much more risk they would be at in the 3rd row vs. the 2nd.
IMHO the difference is not significant. Having anything loose in the vehicle, especially in the cargo area would be more of a concern I believe.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Other considerations

DaleB said:
Considering the 'cage' structure of the MDX, the 3rd row seat is still well within those boundaries, especially if the child is in the center.
The informal test referenced here is quite convincing. But it is your child, and need to assess how much more risk they would be at in the 3rd row vs. the 2nd.
IMHO the difference is not significant. Having anything loose in the vehicle, especially in the cargo area would be more of a concern I believe.
I think Dale is right on target. I'm sure that if it Acura testing found the third seat riskier they would ahve designed the seat in such a way that child seats would not fit at all.

I do think it would be more difficult to properly install/tighten most child seats in the third row, to say nothing of the difficulty of securing the child while you are kinda wedged in back there...

OTOH there may be a better view out the back window from the third row... ;)

·
Registered
699 Posts
Oh yeah, another consideration: cargo space. If the kid's in the third row, grandma and grandpa don't have anyplace for their luggage (rooftop carrier? see other threads).

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Our older grandchild, just over 2, loves the 3rd row seat. Lift the tailgate, put him in, and he'll eagerly install himself in the seat. It's basically as safe for a child seat as any other position in the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you

Thank you for all your responses. I am glad to know the seat and the Grandparents will all fit it the second row. I really wasn't comfortable with having him in the back.

For all of you who paid MSRP, I think you will like my story of the buying process. My Husband is in sales and was determined not to pay MSRP. (hehe) After the sales rep confirmed this was not going to happen my Husband leaned back and said okay, I want an Acura hat, no...2 hats and a shirt...no a mug...yes 2 hats and a mug. The sales rep went to his manager and they had a good laugh but approved the deal. I negotiated some accessories at the Acura list price instead of the dealer inflated price. All said and done we are happy.

When my son was born we bought a Lexus RX300 which was a brand new model at the time. I really do like that car but I wanted something a little bigger and better in the snow. I was happy to read so many positive posts about the MDX.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Ha, good story of your husband going head-to-head with the dealer.

We got our MDX when we had our son. We had test-driven an RX300, liked it, and even felt a bit guilty wanting something bigger. But people tend to fill available cargo room, and the vehicle is quite happy for the trips over the mountain passes to the grandparents (with luggage and a ton of baby paraphernalia in the back), or in going to Costco (we prefer to go infrequently because ours is horribly crowded -- we have to get there as soon as it opens to survive it). We've tossed plenty of Ikea bookcases in the back, and have never regretted getting a bigger vehicle despite having, currently, one child.

·
Registered
106 Posts
We bought the MDX specifically for its width to fit 2 full size booster seats and a grandma in the 2nd row for the long distance drives. I am happy to report that all 3 passengers were comfortable for the 9 hr drive.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I agree with the second row, you want to have your child within arms reach when they start screaming, being way back in the third row will mean a pullover to the shoulder and getting out, unless Grandma/pa are agile enough to twist to the third row.

We fit all three of our kids in the second row all in car seats, it was the only vehicle(pre-Pilot) that had the width to do so and option of 3rd row at the time of purchase besides getting a Mammoth SUV.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Middle row

My 18 month daughter always goes in the second row in the middle usually. Then she doesn't kick the back of my chair that much, and she has a view of the road and out the sunroof. I'm a big fan of Britax child seat and I use those new anchors in the middle row so I don't have to deal with seat belts. It pops in and out very quickly. I was also impressed to hear that the New York Firefighters use these seats as well as the New York State Police Department. There are designed to protect the baby in high speed collisons. That's why I believe it's manufactured in Europe where people drive much faster. There child restraint seats must meet a much higher standard than the usa. Just my 2 cents. Better safe than sorry especially when it comes to your children!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Re: Saftey seats

paul123 said:
My 18 month daughter always goes in the second row in the middle usually. Then she doesn't kick the back of my chair that much, and she has a view of the road and out the sunroof. I'm a big fan of Britax child seat and I use those new anchors in the middle row so I don't have to deal with seat belts. It pops in and out very quickly. I was also impressed to hear that the New York Firefighters use these seats as well as the New York State Police Department. There are designed to protect the baby in high speed collisons. That's why I believe it's manufactured in Europe where people drive much faster. There child restraint seats must meet a much higher standard than the usa. Just my 2 cents. Better safe than sorry especially when it comes to your children!
We love our Britax too.

I really have to bite my tongue when I see an unbelted kid roaming around in car I pull up next to. You can get good quality safety seats for not much money, and many organizations will help low-income folks get 'em for free: http://www.google.com/search?num=50...t+low+income+Boost+America&btnG=Google+Search

How do you feel about keeping the little one rear facing as long as possible? On the "physics level" it seems to make sense and the AAP is leaning toward advocating it-- http://www.ahealthyme.com/article/reuters/101863796
But on a practical level the forward facing seats have the behavior advantage...

The grandparents joke about how "they must have been much better drivers than we are, never had an acident the whole time you were growing up", mom and I gently remind them that 'the world was a different place' ;)

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Re: Re: Saftey seats

renov8r said:

We love our Britax too.

I really have to bite my tongue when I see an unbelted kid roaming around in car I pull up next to. You can get good quality safety seats for not much money, and many organizations will help low-income folks get 'em for free: http://www.google.com/search?num=50...t+low+income+Boost+America&btnG=Google+Search

How do you feel about keeping the little one rear facing as long as possible? On the "physics level" it seems to make sense and the AAP is leaning toward advocating it-- http://www.ahealthyme.com/article/reuters/101863796
But on a practical level the forward facing seats have the behavior advantage...

The grandparents joke about how "they must have been much better drivers than we are, never had an acident the whole time you were growing up", mom and I gently remind them that 'the world was a different place' ;)
There weren't as many driver then, and the horsepower of the vehicles wasn't nearly as high as they are today. Today everybody is in a rush to get somewhere, not realizing that the extra miles per hour make such a small reduction in you estimated time of arrival. As far as rear facing I went forward at 20 lbs. or 1 year, that was when she got more muscle control in her neck so she wouldn't get whiplash. Love the britax as far as the ease of the in and out process. Those anchors in the second row work excellent, better than and seatbelt hookup!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
my 3 year old uses 3rd row seat

My 3 1/2 yr old son goes in & out the back & likes his view from the 3rd row. It is lots easier to put him in & buckle his seat belt from the back than to climb up & buckle him in the middle of the 2nd row. And he also likes having his own storage bin & cup holder built into the side of the car. I'm sure the safest place is in the middle of the 2nd row...

What I haven't figured out yet is how to position the 2nd row 40% seat. I read previous threads that implied that it can slide forward to give a little more leg room for the 3rd row occupant. But when I've looked, I can't figure out how. I'll be taking a trip soon with several kids, and would like to be able to put some of the bigger ones back there.:confused:

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Re: my 3 year old uses 3rd row seat

LaLou said:
My 3 1/2 yr old son goes in & out the back & likes his view from the 3rd row. It is lots easier to put him in & buckle his seat belt from the back than to climb up & buckle him in the middle of the 2nd row. And he also likes having his own storage bin & cup holder built into the side of the car. I'm sure the safest place is in the middle of the 2nd row...

What I haven't figured out yet is how to position the 2nd row 40% seat. I read previous threads that implied that it can slide forward to give a little more leg room for the 3rd row occupant. But when I've looked, I can't figure out how. I'll be taking a trip soon with several kids, and would like to be able to put some of the bigger ones back there.:confused:
I thought it moved forward to let people in and out of the third row. I wasn't aware you could adjust it in a forward motion to give more room for third row?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
The lever in the back of the seat (not on the side to give access to the third row) can be pulled and then you can either recline the seat a bit more or push it forward a bit. If you've never done it, you've probably left it where it's most upright. Pull on the lever and you can recline the 2nd row seats.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts