Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone aware of a third party solution for adding Apple Carplay to a 2017 MDX?

I contacted NAVIKS and they have informed me that their CarPlay unit is NOT compatible with the 2017 MDX.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wait until there’s a wrecked 2018 and install the head unit.
It may not be that simple. The screens are also different 2017 vs 2018. A retrofit may be possible, but no one knows (outside of Acura) what will be required.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Here's a rough idea of what it takes in a TLX and probably also the MDX (the guy posting seems to have a lot of technical knowledge about Acuras, so I'm wondering if he's a vendor or tech or engineer within the brand): https://acurazine.com/forums/5g-tlx-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation-416/carplay-android-auto-2018-tlx-957345/#post16125246

I'm a bit confused why a new TCU is needed, but I'm thinking TRANSMISSION CONTROL UNIT and if it really something else, then cool.

But yeah, only NavTool I think is left at this point.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I’m glad my life doesn’t revolve around a phone platform.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m glad my life doesn’t revolve around a phone platform.
Jeez, dude. Cool your jets.

My life doesn’t revolve around a phone platform... I’m just interested in a solution to my #1 issue with the 3rd gen MDX: the navigation system.

My MDX constantly “looses” my location. I’ll be driving along a major highway and the Nav thinks I’m in a field, miles away.

Acura released a TSB and software update, but it hasn’t helped me. If Acura could fix the issue, I’d be happy. Otherwise, I’m exploring alternatives to put my smartphone nav on the screen.

How is that unreasonable?

Personally, I think Acura should put more effort into fixing the issue... but I’m also a realiast... so not holding my breath.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Jeez, dude. Cool your jets.

My life doesn’t revolve around a phone platform...
Possible his comment was directed to 'carpayment4life'?

I've been playing around with CP and AA in another car and it's cool because that car never dreamed of having navigation or anything so connected. I was down on AA and CP but I've changed my mind, though I still wouldn't do too much to retrofit a late model car with something aftermarket but I might consider OEM. I think the OEM's have finally realized that its best to leave tech to the tech companies. This isn't so much a phone platform debate as it is one about OEM car mfg vs. tech companies and if you rely heavily on navi the tech companies are decades ahead.

·
Registered
440 Posts
My MDX constantly “looses” my location. I’ll be driving along a major highway and the Nav thinks I’m in a field, miles away.

Acura released a TSB and software update, but it hasn’t helped me. If Acura could fix the issue, I’d be happy. Otherwise, I’m exploring alternatives to put my smartphone nav on the screen.
I've noticed the same thing. Had issues with the nav, then had the TSB applied. It did well for about 6 weeks and now it's back to its old self of randomly finding me in a farm field or wading thru a river. Isn't usually a problem until I need to actually use the nav for getting someplace. Not sure whether they know the TSB isn't working long-term or note....

·
Registered
644 Posts
I'd look to the dealer with a complaint on that too. I have the passenger take a screen shot when something like that happens. My 2014 used to do that too.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd look to the dealer with a complaint on that too. I have the passenger take a screen shot when something like that happens. My 2014 used to do that too.
I've taken numerous videos while it occurs. Dealer tells me Acura doesn't have a fix. I've called Acura Client Relations (they're tired of speaking with me). And that is where I'm at.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
This morning on my 5 mile run/walk my iPhone messed up and the app (Runkeeper) indicated I went about 10 miles rather than the 5. It does this every now and then and is related to an inaccurate positioning from the iPhone's GPS even though usually this route is fine with it. Last time I had to do a network reset on the iPhone to fix it - I'll do that again today.

The point is - all of these GPS based devices seem to mess up every now and then and indicate the position incorrectly at times. I haven't noticed a particular issue on my 2014 MDX nav but I really only use it on a cross country trip - I don't use it around the section of the country in where I live because I already know the routes.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This morning on my 5 mile run/walk my iPhone messed up and the app (Runkeeper) indicated I went about 10 miles rather than the 5. It does this every now and then and is related to an inaccurate positioning from the iPhone's GPS even though usually this route is fine with it. Last time I had to do a network reset on the iPhone to fix it - I'll do that again today.

The point is - all of these GPS based devices seem to mess up every now and then and indicate the position incorrectly at times. I haven't noticed a particular issue on my 2014 MDX nav but I really only use it on a cross country trip - I don't use it around the section of the country in where I live because I already know the routes.
Yes, I understand that. The issue is not one or two incorrect location data points. The nav consistently looses my location. Over the last week, it has lost my location multiple times on each journey, and it takes between 5 and 30 minutes for it to correct itself. This is far outside the normal rate of error, and is entirely unacceptable.

I have a cell phone with gps apps. My wife has a cell phone with gps apps. My wife’s car has navigation. My parents have a 1st gen MDX. None of those devices have this problem.

I’m a bit surprised how many of you are making excuses for Acura. This isn’t something that is “different” or something I’m not trying to adjust to... this is a system that is objectively not functioning correctly.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I’m a bit surprised how many of you are making excuses for Acura. This isn’t something that is “different” or something I’m not trying to adjust to... this is a system that is objectively not functioning correctly.
I wasn't making an excuse - just stating my experience with GPS systems in general and the one in my 2014 MDX specifically. I haven't experienced the degree of issues in my MDX that you're stating you are for yours but I think we have different year vehicles and the systems are likely at least not identical. You also may have something simply wrong with yours that could be related to a loose wire (thereby 'losing' your location) or some other issue where the unit loses the signal intermittently and ends up placing you in a field - like my iPhone does every now and then.

Given your description I wouldn't chalk it up to a general issue with all MDXs and would pursue it as a bug in yours that needs to be fixed unless a lot of others pop up here stating theirs 'frequently' does the same thing. Mine doesn't that I've noticed. I wouldn't accept it as normal and to be expected frequently unless you're finding it happens in the same areas all the time where there may be signal problems.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I wonder if, like what mdxstang mentions, is something going on with your GPS antenna or wiring that's causing the issue. I've had that issue with one of my phones a few years back (Nexus 5), where it stopped locking on to my location. Following a tip from another user, I had to take the phone apart and had to patch a part to get it to lock on again. I'm not saying you should open up your NAV system of course, but maybe your dealership isn't looking at the right place? Have you asked them if perhaps a wiring. antenna, or some part in the NAV system isn't locking on to your location? If they don't know (or are unwilling) to fix that, have to tried another dealership? Or a specialty shop for Acuras/Hondas or imports?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wonder if, like what mdxstang mentions, is something going on with your GPS antenna or wiring that's causing the issue. I've had that issue with one of my phones a few years back (Nexus 5), where it stopped locking on to my location. Following a tip from another user, I had to take the phone apart and had to patch a part to get it to lock on again. I'm not saying you should open up your NAV system of course, but maybe your dealership isn't looking at the right place? Have you asked them if perhaps a wiring. antenna, or some part in the NAV system isn't locking on to your location? If they don't know (or are unwilling) to fix that, have to tried another dealership? Or a specialty shop for Acuras/Hondas or imports?
It's possible.

My dealer says they've had other owners complain of the same issue, so they acknowledge that it does exist. Apparently at least one person was more aggressive than I've been (although I haven't been passive) and Acura authorized the dealer to replace her navigation unit. It did not resolve her issue.

I was offered the same option, but was told they had little confidence that it would resolve the problem. I told them not to replace the unit, at this time, as I do not want rattles/squeaks to be introduced during the R&R process. If they were confident that my issue would be resolved, then I'd authorize that repair.

I considered the issue may be with the antenna or receiving circuitry... But I have no way of confirming or excluding that possibility. I wish Acura had better diagnostic processes available to the dealer. They should make it possible for extending debugging information to be captured and analyzed to determine the issue -- either by providing the means for a technician to connect a laptop while driving the vehicle, or, preferably, provide the ability to enable an enhanced logging mode by which the infotainment system will save a detailed log onto the hard drive, that a technician can later download and analyze (and forward to Acura corporate for advanced diagnostics). Even a simple additional page in the navigation to allow display of the actual latitude/longitude coordinates would be nice. My wife had a 2015 Honda CR-V that had a page like that.

Honestly, my gut tells me this is a software problem, not hardware. As others have pointed out, occasional "bad" data is a condition that must be handled. The software system needs to be able to recover from this location data in a reasonable amount of time. For starters, the system should ignore location data that is not feasible -- If a stream of coordinates is received, and one point is so far out of the path that the vehicle could not have possibly traveled that fast, then it should be thrown out. And the system should use a smaller data set when calculating moving averages. I've observed that sometimes the system will show my location as miles away, but that it slowly drifts back towards where I actually am, until it eventually "skips" and "snaps" back to me. This behavior seems consistent to a large weighted list with a fixed number of coordinates being averaged together, with new coordinates causing the oldest coordinates to be removed from the list. This would explain the moving average walking back towards an "accurate" location, and would also explain the sudden "skip/snap" back to the correct position, as the bad coordinate ages off of the list.

Unfortunately, I find the dealers don't like dealing with issues of this nature... They would rather sell unnecessary flushes and maximize their profits. And Acura corporate doesn't provide owners any access to higher level support people who could actually investigate and potentially fix this issue.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If it is a software issue, it would be nice if there's a way to purge or reset the nav software before installing the new one, of course, assuming that would delete the bad data from the previous version. That's a fix that you can do with phones and tablets, but not something I've seen you can do with a car. That Acura doesn't have a tech support, considering how more reliant cars are with software these days, is just crazy.

When I see cars now, as cool as all the digital dashes, built in cameras, driver's aids, HUD's, infotainment screens, and of course nav screens are, I worry about any or all of that failing, and relying on a dealership to fix it. I look at my Honda Prelude and can't help but notice how much more "analog" it is, and easier (relatively speaking) to fix things.

·
Registered
129 Posts

Use Strava. Never messes up.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Use Strava. Never messes up.
The problem was the iPhone itself - I tested it with some other location apps that indicated the same issue. Doing a network reset solved the issue. I've had to do this a couple of times now even though it loses its mind in locations that I go every day. By 'iPhone' I'm including ATT Wireless since I know the location services on the iPhone rely on more than just GPS - they also use the cell towers. I don't know whether the issue is the iPhone itself, changes made by ATT in their cell tower responses, or something else but the network reset solves it - at least for some time.

I'll check out the Strava app though but I'm pretty happy with Runkeeper - I've been using it for many thousands of miles of runs/hikes.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.