Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
@MCRacer I'm sure the Hybrid is a better rig, but when we were in the market it had just debuted and not a fan of all new rigs. Hybrids are like when everyone switched to fluorescent bulbs...I knew LED lighting tech would come around and sure enough it did. Now I don't have a single incandescent or fluorescent bulb in my house. Pure electric is the LED light option, its going to come around and that is fine, but it's not my jam at the moment.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
It still might be awhile before pure electric will be at a competivie price, driving range, cold weather capabilities, and/or extremely quick re-charge time as what is currently available in hybrid flavors. The $1500 price premium for the hybrid pretty much disappears in the used market with mileage and time. The hybrid was my 99% solution for me out west with everything being in a 2-12 hours one way range:
  • more hp/tq
  • city gas range at 35-45 mph can equal or be longer than hwy range at 70-80 mph
  • same size gas tank as the 3.5L for same hwy range
  • zero impact on interior and cargo space
  • hybrid power not effected by higher altitudes like NA engines
  • brakes will last longer because of re-gen braking
  • extremely sophisticated sh-awd system for improved handling and all weather driving
  • makes a cool UFO sound in pure EV mode when driving a very low speeds
I did the switch to fluorescent bulbs in the entire house and was rewarded with 10-13 years of cheaper electric bills and only having to replace 2%-3% of them out. Just now (because of the lockdown) switched to +20 year LED for the entire house and the LED bulbs were probably paid for 100% from the savings from the +10 years with the fluorescent ones.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Never said pure electric was ready for prime time, but it is the future and I'll consider it at some point down the road. In the current market, ICE provides the best balance of economy, convenience, output, and related intangibles that I find important (just like LED provides economical operation AND light output that doesn't remind you of Soviet Union era communal apartments). It's unfortunate that the 3rd gen MDX failed to deliver on driving dynamics and NVH. Like I said, the sport hybrid probably does a better job mitigating the 3rd gen shortcomings, but I know Acura can do much better. The recently unveiled '21 TLX is a promising development for those of us interested in a MDX that emphasizes the S in SUV, even if only available in Type S trim.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I think the hybrid in tech or Adv version is the better choice if you lean towards "S" in SUV. The RDX or MDX would be fine if you need more "U" (RDX would be perfectly fine if you don't need the extra space or towing). I've lived with my 08 RDX for many years with 2 kids (just added a cargo box for more room on longer trips). Only stepped up to the MDX when the son started H.S. and was just under 6 feet tall.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts