Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed this on my wife's MDX today, very easy install. It comes with a preconfigured configuration of 6 medium flashes during initial braking, 6 fast flashes during medium braking and 16 very fast flashes during hard braking. The active flasher module uses 3-axis accelerometer to measure vehicle braking force.

1. Remove trim on the lift gate. (See attached photos)
2. Discount the 3rd brake light wire
3. Black is ground - Orange is positive + 12
4. Follow the instructions to wire the flasher module.
5. Install the trim back on the lift gate.

Vehicle Brake Light Flasher Module with brake force monitor Vehicle Brake Light Flasher Module with Brake Force Trigger. [FLSHR_G1] - $29.95 : 3rd Brake Flasher Web Site

Automotive exterior Vehicle Car Auto part Automotive design

Automotive exterior Bumper Windshield Vehicle Auto part

Lady Pink Fictional character Finger Flesh

Line Diagram Parallel

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Woahh that looks really interesting... Do you have any running vid?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just installed this on my wife's MDX today, very easy install. It comes with a preconfigured configuration of 6 medium flashes during initial braking, 6 fast flashes during medium braking and 16 very fast flashes during hard braking. The active flasher module uses 3-axis accelerometer to measure vehicle braking force.
Thank you for your information and tips. I ordered and installed this same module because I saw your post.

Woahh that looks really interesting... Do you have any running vid?
Here you go skirmich. My videos are not great quality but at least you will see the flashing rates.

Video #1 "Flasher Standard Rate": depressing the brake pedal with normal pressure
Video #2 "Flasher 3 Different Flashing": video will show normal flashing, medium flashing and quick flashing (this one is the oh sh*t braking :surprise: ) - sorry this vid is too big to upload, even with zipping it.

Various pictures: trim cover removed from the liftgate, module, module profile and module located inside the liftgate frame, CA Vehicle Code

The module surface is below the four edges so my double-backed tape is not thick enough for adhesion to the metal surface. I secured it with tape. Photos show a very hacked job but the module is secured and positioned accurately for the accelerometer.

It appears it is illegal in some states to have flashing brake lights. I Googled for CA vehicle code and found this result (see photo "CA Vehicle Code". I am not sure the validity of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Quanton

VERY NICE!!
How does the flasher knows when you are pressing the pedal harder or not? or its just a preset and will always flash with that rate or the other when you depress the brake pedal?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Quanton

VERY NICE!!
How does the flasher knows when you are pressing the pedal harder or not? or its just a preset and will always flash with that rate or the other when you depress the brake pedal?
The accelerometer measures the changing in acceleration of the vehicle. In this case, the flasher is programmed to flash slow, medium or fast based on the vehicle deceleration.

This particular module has the built-in accelerometer, it must position in a certain configuration so it knows which is forward, left and up. Engineers call it the right hand rule (positive x,y and z coordinate system).

OP and I bling our SUV for this fancier model. Without the accelerometer, the flasher will only flashes one rate once the pedal is depressed.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Quanton
The one you installed is the same as the OP Link? I mention this because the photo on the OP Link of the device is different from the one in your pictures.. Just wanna make sure to buy the correct one before pulling the trigger.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Quanton
The one you installed is the same as the OP Link? I mention this because the photo on the OP Link of the device is different from the one in your pictures.. Just wanna make sure to buy the correct one before pulling the trigger.
correct, same model. The picture on the website doesn't have the protected casing. I think the owner removed the casing to show the components of the module, particularly the accelerometer.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Thank you very much! I added this to the next mod to do in my list!.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Man who hasn´t done that? hahaha I might actually just skip quick disconnects and do direct soldering..
I hope the device is well made and last the lifetime of the vehicle.

Have you tried recording a functioning video? like in real life use? I think is going to look badass IRL.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I hope the device is well made and last the lifetime of the vehicle.

Have you tried recording a functioning video? like in real life use? I think is going to look badass IRL.
It appears to be well built. I don't think it will break. It is definitely weather resistant.

Functioning recording? Is it mounting a camera like go-pro and record it while activating the light at various braking?

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Or just having a buddy record you in a 2nd car with a smartphone?
Yeah to look what it looks like IRL not just sitting in the garage!

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Man that looks LEGIT! Cant wait to do this mod!
Thanks again for the videos!

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX SH-AWD w/ Technology. Tow package, LED Fogs, Roof Rails, Door sills
41 Posts
I watched the short videos and thought it would be nice if it flashed for a longer period of time and not 4 flashes and then solid red. If it flashed continuously I would be all in. This does make me want to look for one that continuously flashes. Is this the model you bought years ago?
Font Parallel Magenta Electric blue Cable

1 - 17 of 17 Posts