Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering tint for my (about to be) 2016 Advance. Is it enough to just tint the front doors, or would there be a benefit to tinting all side windows and moon roof? In Arizona, primary concern is heat. I don't want darker. I think the privacy glass in the back is dark enough, but I don't know if it blocks IR heat or not. One dealer tints 'em all, and another dealer just tints two front doors.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Lived in AZ for 6 yrs before moving to denver last yr. If I were you, I would tint all around to be safe. I tinted my previous car (BMW) with: 50% front windshield, 30% front windows, 5% rear windows and windshield. It cools the car down so much. Cops there were cool about dark tint.

No longer in AZ and with the MDX, I am looking to tint just the front windows to match the rear. not sure about the %. maybe 50%?

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Before tinting the front windows, you might want to check out another thread here where the OP apparently had what I consider a dangerous condition of the front windows being 'too' tinted - to the point where the auto-tinting side mirrors combined with the tinted side windows made the side mirrors almost unusable - which creates a dangerous situation when parking, changing lanes, driving, etc.

Given that the glass already blocks probably as much heat as practical you might just want to skip the cost and hassle and potential additional danger of adding tint and just leave it as-is.

Regardless of tinting the windows or not the interior of the vehicle 'will' get very hot in a hot climate when just left parked. The key is whether the A/C system can keep up with the incoming heat load (through the windows and radiating from the body) while driving and in my experience it can - even in the ridiculous heat Phoenix has. I live in the Southwest and have driven the MDX in the Az, Ca, Tx, Nv, Ut deserts in the summer and around here when it was 107 last week and the MDX A/C system handled it okay and could keep the passenger compartment comfortable (at least at the front seat area).

·
Registered
313 Posts
Auto glass blocks UV but doesn't do much for heat. I know people who have had large improvements in cabin temps in summer switching to a heat blocking film.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Before tinting the front windows, you might want to check out another thread here where the OP apparently had what I consider a dangerous condition of the front windows being 'too' tinted - to the point where the auto-tinting side mirrors combined with the tinted side windows made the side mirrors almost unusable - which creates a dangerous situation when parking, changing lanes, driving, etc.

Given that the glass already blocks probably as much heat as practical you might just want to skip the cost and hassle and potential additional danger of adding tint and just leave it as-is.

Regardless of tinting the windows or not the interior of the vehicle 'will' get very hot in a hot climate when just left parked. The key is whether the A/C system can keep up with the incoming heat load (through the windows and radiating from the body) while driving and in my experience it can - even in the ridiculous heat Phoenix has. I live in the Southwest and have driven the MDX in the Az, Ca, Tx, Nv, Ut deserts in the summer and around here when it was 107 last week and the MDX A/C system handled it okay and could keep the passenger compartment comfortable (at least at the front seat area).
Didn't that guy go too dark? The nice part of ceramic films is that you can go light but still get really great heat rejection.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I just did my front windows. Problem with tinting too dark, it is hard to see out at night. The Crystalline is lighter and more heat block. So you might be ok with it all around. Just expensive stuff. Don't think it would make that much difference tinting all windows in AZ, heat gets through the entire surface of car.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yeah you cant avoid the heating of the rest of the car, but my understanding is that its much easier to cool the car down with the AC if the windows have heat blocking tint.

In my state ( Virginia ) they have limits on the windshield ( 90% ), front windows ( 50% ) and back ( 35% ). At those values, you wont have any problems at night. Ive heard of people getting 20% all around and IMO thats probably where the problems are.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I am considering tint for my (about to be) 2016 Advance. Is it enough to just tint the front doors, or would there be a benefit to tinting all side windows and moon roof? In Arizona, primary concern is heat. I don't want darker. I think the privacy glass in the back is dark enough, but I don't know if it blocks IR heat or not. One dealer tints 'em all, and another dealer just tints two front doors.
Did your car come with a remote start? If yes then you may want consider using that to cool it down a few minutes before you get in. If it didn't it is actually not that much more to add that feature.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Oldjedi said "I don't want darker" and 3M Crystalline Ceramic Window Film is the sort of product that provides excellent heat reduction with minimal reduction in visibility. It's expensive, so doing front windows only would save a heap of money. The question is whether he needs to spend the money on the extra windows. The other thread Neoshi provided had an answer from Acura that I didn't understand.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Oldjedi said "I don't want darker" and 3M Crystalline Ceramic Window Film is the sort of product that provides excellent heat reduction with minimal reduction in visibility. It's expensive, so doing front windows only would save a heap of money. The question is whether he needs to spend the money on the extra windows. The other thread Neoshi provided had an answer from Acura that I didn't understand.
Doing every window including the sunroof would probably run $650 with 3M Crystalline. Thats not a huge amount of $$ on a 50k car.

I was quoted the windshield and sunroof in 90% 3M Crystalline, side windows at 50% and backs at 35% using cheaper tint ( when you darken that much you get good heat reduction anyhow ) and that came out to $450.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I understand that the 3M product is virtually clear, yet blocks 87% of IR light (heat). Plain vanilla glass blocks UV, which fades upholstery and burns skin, but adds little to no heat. If I got film all around, it would be the clear because I think the sides and back are already dark enough that any darker would interfere with night vision. I might darken the two front doors a bit, but likely just go clear there, too. I think I was asking if anyone had knowledge of any benefits of filming the sides and back as opposed to just the front doors. Of course, my dealer want to include tint with the "standard dealer add-ons (read profit padding), and I'm debating insisting on ceramic film or no film at all...

·
Registered
316 Posts
Your question would be better answered by a tint professional. Go to one that sells 3M and one that does not. You will probably hear pros and cons of each product. I had 3M Color stable put on my front windows. There will be other pros that don't like 3M. Others say Huper Optik is best. Its whoever you believe and want to buy.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Or find/ask for spec sheets after deciding on the tint % you want. Look for SHGR/solar heat rejection %. IR spec actually isnt the best indicator of total heat rejection.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
By the way, with my userid you may have guessed I am a Star Wars fan. Any doubt about my favorite color choice for my MDX order? Tell me that is not a Stormtrooper!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts