Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I stopped by my Acura dealer in MN yesterday so they could change my oil on my older Acura. Met w/ the sales guy who sold me my MDX last year and asked him about putting the clear film on the MDX. They said $599 for the partial hood, partial fenders, mirrors, side doors and in that place where you place your hand in to open the doors. I didn't like the "line" that was showing on the hood and fenders on my white MDX and told him there'd be dirt and dust that can get stuck there and it would not look nice. I then asked him to find out a price for full bumper, full hood, full side fenders, mirrors, etc.

He came back and said it would be $1599 for it all they would even do the rear bumper applique as well. Anyone have any experience w/ this and is the price pretty reasonable? Wife said how come we didn't do this when we first bought the vehicle...well, I told her, you didn't want any accessories/options back then when I asked you. lol. Your inputs would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Reasonable price, my dealership wanted a lot more and I ended up paying about that to an independent guy who also put Opticoat on my MDX.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I put custom 3M clear bra on all three of my vehicles on the same areas to also include fogs and headlights because of the added UV protection from the southwester sun and debris protection:
- 06 TSX +10yrs, replaced for free in 2011 because of light UV damage on film, replaced again in 2014 because of front end accident coverage by insurance
- 08 RDX +6yrs
- 11 MDX +2yrs

The replacement in 2011 on the TSX was to an upgraded formula to the 3M film to resist UV fading for +5yrs. The 08 RDX is showing no signs of fading after 6yrs with the new formula. The 3M film is hard to notice unless you know it is there or at certain angles with sunlight. I wash (hand, pressure wand, drive thru car wash) and wax as normal and have zero issues with anything getting stuck in the film line. I got the 3M film because:
- put around +20,000 miles per year
- speed limit is 75-80 mph in the southwest
- takes 2-8 hrs on the hwy to get anywhere worth going
- a lot of road debris from windy conditions, hit my fair share of tumble weeds at 80 mph
- intense UV light
- road rash from sandy conditions

If you drive in conditions less than this, a full 3M hood/fender coverage might be overkill. The $599 price seems to be the going rate now days for 3M film.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's mainly the wife's DD but we also have a minivan that she drives more than the MDX so most of the time it's just sitting in the garage and gets taken out for a drive 1-2 times a week, at most and around 200 miles total. Now that you've mentioned that, I guess maybe the all out clear film isn't necessary. I'd save $1k with just the partial coverage.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
The line isn't really noticeable except when you're washing and waxing your car.

I had a 3M film placed on my MDX and 7 years later it had some cuts and yellowing at those areas. I paid about $1000 for partial hood and fenders, full front (including my painted bumper on my 2008), door mirrors, and door cups.

With my new car I decided to go with Xpel Ultimate. I paid around $1200 for partial roof, A-pillars, partial hood and fenders, and full front along with door mirrors and door cups.

I imagine the dealer subs the work to a local installer and charges you more than you would get directly. I wouldn't trust the dealer themselves to install the film. If you do a google search you'll find threads on various car forums who will discuss installers in your area, that's how I found them.

Between the options I'd get the partial package for $599. I don't think the extra coverage on the hood is worth it for another $1000. If you were driving a sedan or Porsche where the hood really curves maybe, but with the MDX most of the rocks will hit the front as the hood is a plateau, if you will.

I also got Opti-Coat placed after the film was installed and highly recommend it. Have to wash the vehicle but no more waxing!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts