Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally found a shop here in the Tide Water region of Virginia that installs clear bras.

I'm having it installed in early Jan. I'll let you know how it goes, and wether I recommend the place to othe VA MDX owners.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
191 Posts
I saw one on an X5 and liked it on the front but not on the mirrors. Can it be removed without damaging the paint?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Please let us know how it comes out. I have been trying to find someone around here to install Stonguard on my X. If everything goes OK I'll go over there for the ClearBra.

Earl

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nytflyt said:
Please let us know how it comes out. I have been trying to find someone around here to install Stonguard on my X. If everything goes OK I'll go over there for the ClearBra.

Earl
I'll keep you posted! It'll get done around the first of Jan.:1:

·
Registered
5 Posts
nytflyt said:

Earl
I could be wrong on this, but I believe that 3M makes all the "clear bra" stuff. Stonguard, Xpel. ClearBra....all of it

·
Registered
167 Posts
LSB
Yes 3M makes all the material. The way the pieces are cut is the main difference between Stonguard and ClearBra.

Earl

·
Registered
15 Posts
:eek: JUst adding my 2 cents, I had the dealer install the 3M clear bra, and it looked rather easy to do, from a layman's perspective. THe thing works great, I was driving down the NJ parkway, and a car kicked up a cloud of sharp gravel at about 85 mph, when i stopped, and checked, the only thing visible on my MDX's face, were tiny scracthes, surface only on the clear coating. Well worth the money.

:1:

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chromedeuces said:
:eek: JUst adding my 2 cents, I had the dealer install the 3M clear bra, and it looked rather easy to do, from a layman's perspective. THe thing works great, I was driving down the NJ parkway, and a car kicked up a cloud of sharp gravel at about 85 mph, when i stopped, and checked, the only thing visible on my MDX's face, were tiny scracthes, surface only on the clear coating. Well worth the money.

Actually, it is very hard to install correctly!

I had a window tint/stereo shop try to install the clear bra on my 01 MDX and they failed miserably!

It cost the shop a couple of hundred bucks since they tore the film and it was ruined. They spent hours to no avail, and would not try again.

I'll be doing my new MDX next week (different state). This shop has done it before, or so they say! I'll let you know what happens this time around.:1:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Chromedeuces said:

Anyone have any post installation photos?

·
Registered
172 Posts
If you have not had a LOT of experiance doing glue on decals like station wagons used to have don't EVEN Think about trying to put on a clear Bra. It is really tricky getting it streached out into the peaks and valleys of a MDX. Without any AIR bubbles or creases.
ALSO from a previous post 3M is not the only mfg of clear bras. AVERY also make clear plastic bra material

·
Registered
58 Posts
I did put on the front lighting protective kits myself and it wasn't too much of a job. Saying that, keep in mind that the plastic sheets that cover the lights are at least three times as thick as the clear bra material and much smaller pieces. (much easier to handle!) I am very happy with the covers however, you absolutely can not see them on the lights without getting down and looking right at the edge and I have trouble pointing them out to people even then. So far, they have shown no scratching or discoloring and they are supposedly guaranteed for life against discoloring. At the cost of a headlight lens these days, the covers are well worth it.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
presten said:
I did put on the front lighting protective kits myself and it wasn't too much of a job. Saying that, keep in mind that the plastic sheets that cover the lights are at least three times as thick as the clear bra material and much smaller pieces. (much easier to handle!) I am very happy with the covers however, you absolutely can not see them on the lights without getting down and looking right at the edge and I have trouble pointing them out to people even then. So far, they have shown no scratching or discoloring and they are supposedly guaranteed for life against discoloring. At the cost of a headlight lens these days, the covers are well worth it.
I have the light lens films too, and can support everything you say about them.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Clear Bra Photos

Do a search. I posted photos of my ClearBra a while back.

·
Registered
242 Posts
some more inputs...

I had mine installed by a professional. After watching him very carefully and asking many questions, I did the install on my other car. Turned out great. The key is to keep the film wet with alcohol mix (it turns stiff and can rip when dried). If you've never seen it done before, don't even try it. I've seen self-installed films with creases, bubbles, fingerprints... not worth it. If you ski a lot, or drive in roads with pebbles, definitely worth the money. My bumper got hit by a rock a size of a golf ball during my ski trip last year - it ripped the film about 1/4 inch in length, but left my bumper scratch free.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Clear Bra in Sacramento

Just got off the Phone with Jeff at the Clear Bra distributer in Sacramento, CA. 916-971-3193

His pitch: 3 levels of install: 1: 18" of hood only $249, 2: Hood and painted bumper was $450, he'd throw in the mirror backs for $20 more. 3: Everything north of the windshield: $800

2 year guarantee, no peel/blister/shrink, etc. Will peel off with no paint damage, color stable (won't turn dark or get weird), car wash safe. Need's 6 week spray on, wipe off treatment.

My thought, too expensive, I've seen other's pricing for much less!

Anyone in Northern California know of another place?

-Rick

·
Registered
570 Posts
stumpie said:

Anyone have any post installation photos?
Yes, look at my sig & click on address line! :4:

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's Done, but I'm not Impressed

I finally had the clear bra put on today and it does not look good!

The shop owner tells me that the small bubbles and fine rinkles will go away as the film drys (7 to 10 days in cold weather) and shrinks a bit!

Furthermore, he said to press on the bubbles and that will make it go away... Huhhh!

I'll keep you posted!
:(

·
Registered
172 Posts
I had 3 put on before it turned out right. First one was a 3m and ended up looking like old skin. So he pulled that one off and put on a AVERY. It went on nice and smooth, But had little scuffs in it. Later found out he had been sent defective squeeges that were to hard and scuffed the bra. So here we went to# 3 bra. That has turned out just fine although when it was put on last fall it had small air and water bubles under it which have completly gone away. It may take quite awhile to go away in a cold climate. Mine had to sit in the sun about a week.GOOD LUCK:2:

·
Registered
12 Posts
re:Clear Bra in Sacramento

Hey, I think I remember StonGard having installers in the Northern California when I was in there getting protection for my sled.

Try www.stoneguard.com or something like that. Hope that helps.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts