Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following up on the success of the WRX, Subaru has announced the 2004 WRX STi.

Highlights include:

300 horsepower
300 lbs torque
(The regular WRX "only" gets 227/217, and it's already a rocket.)
Xenon headlamps
Full-Time AWD with driver-controlled center diffy
6-speed manual
Brembo Performance Brake System

Subaru has also face-lifted the controversial nose of the current WRX.

More info:

http://impreza.subaru.com/microsites/impreza/wrxsti/wrxsti.jsp

·
Registered
218 Posts
wmquan said:
Following up on the success of the WRX, Subaru has announced the 2004 WRX STi.

Highlights include:

300 horsepower
300 lbs torque
(The regular WRX "only" gets 227/217, and it's already a rocket.)
Xenon headlamps
Full-Time AWD with driver-controlled center diffy
6-speed manual
Brembo Performance Brake System

Subaru has also face-lifted the controversial nose of the current WRX.

More info:

http://impreza.subaru.com/microsites/impreza/wrxsti/wrxsti.jsp
Are you getting one, William?
I'm afraid that this car will be the death of me :)

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
That little car has 300 hp?!

WOW!:eek:

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Re: 300 Horsepower Subaru WRX STi

crikey said:

Are you getting one, William?
I'm afraid that this car will be the death of me :)
Ha, no, I can dream though. Not really practical for my needs, though perhaps useful for a mid-life crisis!

I can do without that gigantic spoiler on the back, but, otherwise, WOW!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
My friend just bought a WRX. He is going to get a bigger aftermarket turbo, even bigger then the STI's turbo. He will have over 300hp and still have saved thousands over the STI. He doesn't care for the gold rims or face-lift and would rather save the money.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I like it. Maybe the wife will let me get it! :2:

2003 ss MDX - cdn model - res,back up sensor,cargo net,Husky all weather floor mats and cargo tray

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wonder what the final price will be. I'd guess about $27k or so since you can buy a WRX for about $22k+, I think. If it's cheaper than that, that'd be awesome.

What an econorocket that will be!

The WRX STi should also be more livable than the WRX. One common complaint about the WRX is how it's not a particularly good car around town because you really need to rev it to get some grunt (not much on the low-end). You do need to really rev the STi, but because there's more power available at peak, and because it has the larger 2.5 liter engine as opposed to the 2.0, it should have more low-end grunt.

The WRX STi:

300-horsepower @ 6,000 rpm, 300 lb.-ft. of torque @ 4,000 rpm

The regular WRX:

227-horsepower @ 6,000 rpm, 217 lb.-ft. of torque @ 4,000 rpm

·
Registered
616 Posts
wmquan said:
I wonder what the final price will be. I'd guess about $27k or so since you can buy a WRX for about $22k+, I think. If it's cheaper than that, that'd be awesome.
The current discussions on NASIOC (the old i-club.com) has it estimated to be north of $30k. Remember, the 17" BBS wheel and tire upgrade is almost $3k alone. Then add the substantial drivetrain enhancements, engine enhancements, Brembo brakes, etc. etc...

The WRX STi should also be more livable than the WRX. One common complaint about the WRX is how it's not a particularly good car around town because you really need to rev it to get some grunt (not much on the low-end).
Well, yes and no. While the current WRX motor (2.0L) does not reach substantial HP/torque until around 3000rpm, that really isn't a problem with the manual transmission. It has a very light clutch and revs quickly and is easy to keep in the sweet-spot of the rev band. With the 4EAT auto though, you do need to plan ahead when attempting aggressive moves (such as darting into an opening in traffic) the delay in the downshift combined with the turbo-lag interval does take some getting used to. But, this only feels slow when compared to what the car is capable of.

While the STi will have more torque across the board it will also have a much firmer ride (and the WRX already has a relatively firm ride). To begin with it comes standard with 17" "summer" radials with a stiffer sidewall and adds firmer suspension settings. Although, the WRX will have multi-phase valves on the struts to improve jounce/rebound characteristics, all I can find out about the STi is that it will differ from the WRX in having inverted struts.

The STi is, IMHO, only for the true enthusiast (besides, it will not be offered in the wagon body style ;) )

(For a sneek peek at the 2004 brochure, click here )

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don,

Thanks for the info! Yes, from what you're saying, the STi is truly for the hard-core enthusiast. I also noticed the lack of a wagon version which would truly make it amusing.

Too bad about the price but I guess it's still a heck of a lot of fun for the money.

Have you heard about which turbo engine (2.0 or 2.5) will make it into the Turbo Forester in the U.S?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Have you heard about which turbo engine (2.0 or 2.5) will make it into the Turbo Forester in the U.S?
Until final confirmation, your guess is as good as theirs

Subaru already has a turbo 2.0L in the Global (JDM/UK etc.) version

But then there is this info:

Forgot about the fact that an eyewitness in Alaska saw the turbo Forester being tested and saw the 2.5t designation.
Or is this what your looking for ;) :

Attachments

·
Registered
443 Posts
Subaru has such a great quality - I hope they continue improving the design. Personally, I don't like WRX design - however, I love its parameters and performance - especially 300HP.

I prefer Mitsubishi Evolution VII with 278HP with 0-60 in 5 seconds. I think it looks much nicer. Unfortunately, US version will probably have 250 HP. But then there is Evo VIII coming in a year or so with over 300 HP, maybe around 270-280 HP in US.

Attachments

·
Registered
443 Posts
Sorry, forgot to mention that it has AWD system that has the most number of Paris - Dakkar off-road races.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I looked at the WRX awhile back before I eventually picked up my S2K. It was a blast and I almost went with it before I decided I wanted a convertible :)

But, the STi wouldn't make a nice alternative "family sedan" ;)

Are they still going to make the "regular" WRX as well?

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi All:

___I am not much of a performance car enthusiast but this thing is going to take down (and kill ;)) some lower end Porsche’s, most Beemers, and just about every Japanese manufacturers best for thousands to tens of thousands less by the sound of it …

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

1 - 20 of 31 Posts