Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to create as flat of a surface as possible in the back of my 06 to do some comfortable car camping. I noticed the seat in the second row on the passenger side is on rail (I understood its the entrance to the 3rd row) and the double seat on the driver side isn't. Could I modify it and put it on rails as well ? Or is there a way to lower the 2nd row so they fold 50/50 instead of 60/40

·
Registered
623 Posts
The left and right side of my 2nd row fold to the same level, evenly, when the passenger side is locked in position, so I don't see how putting the drivers side on the slide rails will help you. I really thought in my 06 both sides were on slides.

I also am not sure what changing the 60/40 split would get you, but it would be a huge job to cut off the leather, cut down the padding and frame on the passenger side, build it up on the drivers side, and recover it.

I thought the real issue is that your body would be at an incline if you slept with your head towards the front, and there is that gap to the front seats.

They make an inflatable wedge to go between the front and rear seats to fill that hole when traveling with dogs.

I might try using RV leveler blocks and drive the rear wheels onto them to get it to level for sleeping. If that doesn't work, seems like building a foam wedge that is thicker towards the back and tapers to the front, and then sleep with head towards the hatch for the extra padding would work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The left and right side of my 2nd row fold to the same level, evenly, when the passenger side is locked in position, so I don't see how putting the drivers side on the slide rails will help you. I really thought in my 06 both sides were on slides.

I also am not sure what changing the 60/40 split would get you, but it would be a huge job to cut off the leather, cut down the padding and frame on one side, build it up on the other, and recover it.

I thought the real issue is that your body would be at an incline if you slept with your head towards the front, and there is that gap to the front seats.

They make an inflatable wedge to go between the front and rear seats to fill that hole when traveling with dogs.

I might try using RV leveler blocks and drive the rear wheels onto them to get it to level for sleeping. If that doesn't work, seems like building a foam wedge that is thicker towards the back and tapers to the front, and then sleep with head towards the hatch for the extra padding would work.
I am 6'3" so I need the platform to be slightly longer, its too short now. I was thinking about the mattress idea but I didn't find anything, I'd probably have to custom make it and then it wouldn't be packable. I like the RV block idea to level it, with a 6 x 4 plywood it'd be pretty comfy, could avoid me building a platform

·
Registered
623 Posts
I understand now you were thinking of sliding the passenger side forward in the unlocked position to get it closer to the front seat. Mine is very loose so I think it would slide around and be annoying trying to sleep , though I guess it could be wedged into position.

I haven't gone out yet to see if I was right about the drivers side being on slides, but might be confused with my parents CX-9.

I think a good option would be one of those inflatable dog seatback wedges, then sleep with your feet towards the front of the car.

·
Registered
707 Posts
You can buy wedge pillows for folks with acid reflux with various heights on Amazon for about $25.

If you have an upholstery supply shop near you, they should have foam in many sizes and firmness. They might even have odd sizes of scrap for low cost.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Perhaps if you could remove the rear seat bottom, the seat back would lay flat?
I thought about that, but it looks like it wouldn't be easy to switch around.

I belive I will go with colinnwn idea and take a 6x4 plywood sheet, cut it on the length, paint it black and use leveler blocks to counter the angle. Then I can carry the platform on the roof rack

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I understand now you were thinking of sliding the passenger side forward in the unlocked position to get it closer to the front seat. Mine is very loose so I think it would slide around and be annoying trying to sleep , though I guess it could be wedged into position.

I haven't gone out yet to see if I was right about the drivers side being on slides, but might be confused with my parents CX-9.

I think a good option would be one of those inflatable dog seatback wedges, then sleep with your feet towards the front of the car.

So here is what I got so far, I will now sand down the two plywood sheets, paint those black with a rubber paint, the plywood sheets are treated so I will carry them on the roof when traveling. I fit inside and I'm 6'3".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts