Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just back from a test drive and I was trading MDX scuttlebutt (thank YOU acuramdx.org) with the salesperson. He mentioned that one shortcoming he wanted Acura to address was the strength of the cables that control the recline of the second-row seats. He said he's seen these cables snap when passengers lean back with too much weight as they release the cable lever to adjust the seats. The fix is an expensive one...

Anybody have that experience?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Ablank, I believe it is a clip at the bottom of the cable that pops out. Not the cable breaking. And as another member pointed out, it is already the subject of a TSB, easily fixed by your dealer.

DBirch

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, DBirch and donsev. The salesperson made is sound like a common complaint and frequent headache, regardless of the warranty fix. Glad to see there aren't more problems quoted here.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Dang. It took me forever to find this thread using search. I knew I'd seen it a while back and didn't want to do a re-post.

Anyway, my passenger side rear seat release latch has broken/failed. I'm talking about the one on the top that allows you to lay the seat flat. I use it frequently to put snowboards back there while still allowing maximum room for a passenger.

The TSB link above is no longer valid. Does someone else have a link or copy I can view? Is this a repair that I can do myself or do I need special skills or tools?

Supertech, care to weigh in on this subject? I'm broke so I'd prefer to fix it myself if its easy, especially since I'm not due for any service for a while.

Interestingly, the release on the side (the one that tilts the seat forward and allows it to slide forward so passengers can get to the 3rd row) still works.

TIA for your help.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
There is an updated design available. There's more material on the latch that pulls the cable to prevent it from breaking. Go to the dealer and buy the latch with cable assembly.

Using a small phillips screwdriver, remove the knob for the seat back tilt/slide handle. Then peel away the two little square icons (if they haven't already fallen off). Now remove that side panel.

The seat back is held on by trim clips, and the whole thing pulls away. Some may stick in the seat frame and get the cardboard of the seat back a little out of shape, but you can push it all back into position.

Now pry the little cover off the recline latch. Two phillips screws there and it's loose. Follow the cable down the frame and using a long flat screwdriver or a long needlenose pliers, seperate the cable end from the lever.

Pull the entire latch and cable up through the top of the seat. Take the new one fish it through the same path the old one came up. You may need to work the seat recline lever down there a little to get it in position to hook the cable end over it. But when you do, just install everything in the order you removed it and it's done.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I suspect that will make more sense once I start taking stuff apart. Hopefully I won't make it worse. What's the exact name and/or part number that I need to buy? Perhaps Tim wants to contribute here? Tim? How much is this going to cost me?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Just describe it as it is...the 2nd row passenger side recline lever/cable assembly. The part number will vary based on the color.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2nd row driver side seat issue

Hi,

In my 2002 MDX, 2nd row driver side seat does not fold. I hear the click on the inner side of the seat [larger 2nd row seat] but not the outer side. i.e. near the door.

The smaller 2nd row seat folds and moves forward just fine.

1. Is there no TSB for this?
2. Can you please give directions how I fix this or change the parts required?

-thanks
Surya

1 - 10 of 10 Posts