Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have tips, instructions or a video on how to replace the right side second row captains seat? The previous owner did not put a seat protector down under their child’s car seat and it left a solid number of micro-abrasions, so I am going to replace the seat because I am neurotic and it annoys me!

Thanks in advance!

RB

·
Registered
870 Posts
Option A: Don't replace the seat, replace the seat cover.
Option B: If you can get a complete seat in matching color from a wreck, and it's less wrecked than the one you have, install that ( you might have to pick some little bits of glass out of the creases ). There are 4 bolts at the base of the seat; the front two bolts are hidden behind plastic covers. I'm not sure if you would have to mess with the seat belt anchors. But keep in mind that these are safety critical attachments, not a minor cosmetic concern.
Option C: let a local upholstery shop deal with it. A detailing shop could probably refer you.
Option D: let dealer service deal with it. They could replace the seat cover, and it most likely would still cost less than putting in a whole new seat.
Option E: get a dog. In two weeks, the abrasions will be everywhere.
Option F: get a kid. Nothing will ever be the same, but it's quite a ride!

BTW, I think this should be in the 3rd-generation MDX section, not 2nd-generation; I don't think 2nd-gen had captains seats. Unless you just mean the "40%" side of the 60/40 seating.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mate! I found a compete seat from a wreck for $125, and in mint condition like the rest of the leather in our MDX, thus I was hoping I could do the work myself. Sadly, from calling a couple of places, it seems the leather is $150-$200 a panel(!) to replace. Also, yes, I do mean the 40% of the 60/40 seat. From my research the second generation seats are considered heated-captains seats but perhaps there are multiple terms for them. So do you think it is probabaly easy enough to remove the seat? I can ask our dealer about the safety concerns with the seatbelt. :)

·
Registered
268 Posts
So do you think it is probabaly easy enough to remove the seat? I can ask our dealer about the safety concerns with the seatbelt. :)
I'd say if the safety concerns are minimal, then it would be easy enough to do. One thing to watch out for as well is the wiring for the heated seats. (I'm canadian and all the models have heated seats up here, not sure if what you have is the same thing or not)

·
Registered
870 Posts
These instructions are for 3rd-gen Pilot, but attachments should be similar. Seat belt shouldn't be an issue; with true "captains chairs" it might have been. Be careful to get the bolts secure and consider using a torque wrench and/or Loctite. I have removed and installed 3rd-row seats many times, to maximize cargo capacity for family road trips.

View attachment Second Row Seat Removal and Installation (Bench) 3838.pdf

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.