Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts
A sample sent to Blackstone labs will provide you with a full oil analysis which would be able to inform you how long you could safely go with your oil. I think the analysis is about 20 bucks which would easily pay for itself it you found you could safely extend your oil change intervals.

A sample sent to Blackstone labs will provide you with a full oil analysis which would be able to inform you how long you could safely go with your oil. I think the analysis is about 20 bucks which would easily pay for itself it you found you could safely extend your oil change intervals.
Probably more of a headache vs. picking a long, yet safe interval on synthetic. This isn't a high strung racing engine. FWIW, base oil test cost at Blackstone is $28, but if you also want to test for "effectiveness" you need to pay $10 for the TBN test at a minimum and probably another $10 for the TAN test. The $28 base cost only covers the standard test for contaminants, etc.

Probably more of a headache vs. picking a long, yet safe interval on synthetic. This isn't a high strung racing engine. FWIW, base oil test cost at Blackstone is $28, but if you also want to test for "effectiveness" you need to pay $10 for the TBN test at a minimum and probably another $10 for the TAN test. The $28 base cost only covers the standard test for contaminants, etc.
Well, it isn't exactly "low output" either. 300hp 275tq 3.7L 11:1 comp capable of 7k rpms is not a lazy engine. My experience with Honda engines (C27 x2, C30A, B16, F20C, J35 and J37) is that they tend to shear oil. Especially under severe duty use (heavy towing, track driving). I have done several UOA on my F20 and my friends C30A and they both tended to break down M1 10w30. I am using Amsoil 5w30 for the F20 now and its been better. I did not do a UOA on the X because I added some seafoam. But for the new fill I used 5w30 M1. Its going to have a tough summer towing the S2000 around. :)

Discussion starter · #24 ·
thanks for the tip, however in my case, I'm perfectly okay with having my 2009 MDX's (Mobil 1 synthetic) oil changed about every 5000 miles (AT THE MOST OFTEN) from now on- as opposed to about every 1000-2000 miles (or about every 3-4 months) as I had been very foolishly doing over the years- no more money from me to be donated to STEALERSHIP annual christmas fund :surprise:

Just got my 4th oil analysis back with close to 100k miles on the car. 9,500 miles on 5w-20 Mobil 1 and the oil was well within its useful life with contaminants all within spec or better. Blackstone recommended 12k miles on the next change (as they always do) but I generally keep it around 9k-10k miles. That was running the MID down to 0% (-50 miles actually). I normally test it every 2nd-3rd oil change just to keep an eye on things.

Just got my 4th oil analysis back with close to 100k miles on the car. 9,500 miles on 5w-20 Mobil 1 and the oil was well within its useful life with contaminants all within spec or better. Blackstone recommended 12k miles on the next change (as they always do) but I generally keep it around 9k-10k miles. That was running the MID down to 0% (-50 miles actually). I normally test it every 2nd-3rd oil change just to keep an eye on things.

So your MID said 0% and you are at around 10k mile? What is your driving style? My MID said 0% and I was around 3.2k miles and I was using mobile 1 synthetic 5w-20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So your MID said 0% and you are at around 10k mile? What is your driving style? My MID said 0% and I was around 3.2k miles and I was using mobile 1 synthetic 5w-20
That sounds insane, to me. If you're reaching 0% at 3200 miles, then that seems quite odd, to me.

I have a 3rd gen -- so not exactly the same vehicle -- but I don't think they're THAT different... My driving style is a mix of "relaxed" about half the time and "sporty" the other half. I do use the "S" drive mode when having fun on twisty back roads. I also use the paddle shifters to downshift for engine braking. Basically I think I use the engine, without abusing it. I certainly don't "baby" it. I last put 7809 miles on my oil before I hit the 15% reminder. If I extrapolate that out, I'd get approximately ~9200 miles bringing the MID down to 0%.

i change my oil every 3500 with napa 5/30 synthetic and napa 1356 filter oil is cheap engines are not and i dont care if u use regular oils or synthetic they both get dirty at the same rate,

My '13 DX gets done twice a year..
in the fall just before winter sets in - it will be in for approx 5k km..
and again in the spring, once the garage floor is thawed.. that OCI typically last for 7k km.
OLM never gets below 40%

My TL on the other hand is a 1 year OCI for about 10k km.. as it is not winter driven, the OLM is a dummy light with no usage percentage displayed.

J.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.