Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys (and Gals),

I wanted to share some information regarding another possible option for brake upgrades on the 2G MDX. I have been chatting with Josh at XLR8 (AcceleratePerformance) about producing a BBK for the 2G MDX. Josh has promised to develop a kit for around $1500.00 using a solid 13" rotor and 4-pot brake calipers. An upgrade to 14" rotors and 6-pot calipers might be available, but at a cost of around $2500.00. I know that FastBrakes has a BBK for the 2G, but it's $2500.00 and I don't think I need the 2-pc rotors that are included.... In order to justify a production run, Josh has asked for a minimum cohort of 20 orders. In addition, he would like a $250.00 NR deposit on each order, to cover the initial R&D costs of developing the kit.

I honestly don't have the time to ride shotgun on this process. Is there anyone interested in taking point on setting up an order? And more importantly, are there 19 other people interested in this upgrade? I just know that I'm tired of the wheel shake I get with hard braking at highway speed (despite reassurances by the Service Dept, that "nothings wrong" with my brakes). Please let me know what you all think. Take care.

Bruce/Ironman51662

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Is that the Same kit using the 350Z rotors?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dunno,

But it appears he's using Stop-Tech calipers and 1-pc rotors. At this point, just seeing if there is any interest to pursue this further.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Dunno, I think most guys on here is using the SUV as an SUV so high performance braking is probably going to be lower in the priority list for them.

I was starting to develop my own BBK but with 3 kids and a house remodel, it has moved down to the bottom of the list.

For those wanting a good starting point, the best value and most economical would be to start off with Camaro/Cadillac 4pot Brembo's and rotors. These can be had for under $500 slightly used for the set. Brake lines from those also fit. So basically one will need to just fab up the brackets.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And therin lies the rub..... but I have to disagree with the whole "it's a SUV" thing.... ergo the Jeep Cherokee SRT, Porsche Cayenne, Mercedes Benz AMG derivations, BMW derivations. There are many SUVs sporting Brembo calipers and larger rotors.

·
Registered
798 Posts
And therin lies the rub..... but I have to disagree with the whole "it's a SUV" thing.... ergo the Jeep Cherokee SRT, Porsche Cayenne, Mercedes Benz AMG derivations, BMW derivations. There are many SUVs sporting Brembo calipers and larger rotors.
The examples you mentioned are "performance" SUV's. The MDX in my eyes are no where close to that.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Its not really hard to make a retrofit, that is why I am asking for the 350Z rotors retrofit (13") as there is really no R&D to be made... 1500 is steep for 4-Pot Wilwood calipers, 1500 should have all components (Rotors, Calipers, Brackets, SS Brake Lines).

Fatty (Megamod) over Acurazine has a project using the Cadillac CTS-V calipers (Look at the price for Real 4 Pot BREMBO Calipers): Cts V Silver 4 Piston Front Calipers Pair New Cadillac Brembo Pontiac G8 | eBay

6 Pot Brembo Calipers Cts V CTSV Silver 6 Piston Front Calipers Pair New GM 25912967 25912477 Cadillac | eBay

What we need is just the bracket, We can source the different parts.. If FastBrakes makes a Bracket to use the CTS-V calipers FOR SURE I am all in.. But 1500 in a single payment no effin way.. I want to have big ass brakes on the X but not in a single payment.. Make them do the brackets for 200-299 bucks and I will pay it. That way I can slowly get the other parts.

And just to be perfectly clear... The CTS-V calipers FITS the Acura TL-S 2G with custom brackets and bigger wheels. With the stocker 18" the 4 pot should fit in the MDX, with +19" the 6 pot should fit.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alpine003,

Just because the MDX isn't considered a "performance" SUV in stock format, doesn't necessarily mean that you cannot improve the performance and handling. I don't think it's necessary to plunk down $80K+ to get an SUV that wont get out of its own way..... how many Honda/Acura vehicles are powered by the same J37 engine in the MDX? Some of those vehicles are considered "performance" vehicles..... jus sayin

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
^ Sounds about right but the issue is the same..
I don´t do X-Cross on my MDX to justify the BBK. 1500 at least for me is just not going to happen when I cant force myself to pull the trigger for the J-Pipe, HFPC, Tuner for less than 1500. The MDX is just not that Performance Edgy to even think about mods, I am pretty happy where it stands. BBK would be purely a fashion accessory for my X.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I would be concerned about if they're doing something about the master cylinder. Keeping the same size master cylinder and then increasing brake size is going to DECREASE performance in most cases. It looks great, but stopping distance is added because you've got the same amount of fluid, same flow rate, but less pressure in the system because of being larger on the output side. Then, what are you doing about the rears?

Coming from the Subie world, BBK upgrades usually go hand in hand with the master cylinder upgrades.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Honda & Acuras now days use oversized Master Cyls.. You wont have a problem running a 6 Pot on our cars and they are all heavily front biased most of the pressure is at the fronts anyway, The MDX uses EBD too so the rears are taken care of to some degree not like they do much anyway the weight distribution also favors the front brakes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK then......sounds like this is a non-issue for most. Guess I have my answer. Sooner or later, someone will come up with a brake upgrade for the MDX/Pilot/Ridgeline/Accord/Odyssey platform...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would be concerned about if they're doing something about the master cylinder. Keeping the same size master cylinder and then increasing brake size is going to DECREASE performance in most cases. It looks great, but stopping distance is added because you've got the same amount of fluid, same flow rate, but less pressure in the system because of being larger on the output side. Then, what are you doing about the rears?
This is true. Upgrading just one component of a part might make it appear better, but more/better functionality is what you're trying tom accomplish. Like getting rid of that shuddering.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
OK then......sounds like this is a non-issue for most. Guess I have my answer. Sooner or later, someone will come up with a brake upgrade for the MDX/Pilot/Ridgeline/Accord/Odyssey platform...
Don't get me wrong. I cry a bit inside whenever I see the 3G MDX prototype from 2013 with its Brembos and larger rotors front and rear (and I do know this is for the 2G, but there is some carryover to the 3G). I just want to know someone has checked the whole shabang.

It's nice to know that Honda usually oversizes the master cylinder, but I do believe the end result will be the same, where we will have a longer braking distance than before. Someone could probably ask justnspace on Azine, as I think he's a Honda engineer.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Alpine003,

Just because the MDX isn't considered a "performance" SUV in stock format, doesn't necessarily mean that you cannot improve the performance and handling. I don't think it's necessary to plunk down $80K+ to get an SUV that wont get out of its own way..... how many Honda/Acura vehicles are powered by the same J37 engine in the MDX? Some of those vehicles are considered "performance" vehicles..... jus sayin
Trust me, I completely agree with you to a point but I feel the braking is certainly good enough as is for most street driving and would be more justified if done in the right order personally: suspension, wheels/tires, K-tuner mod pack, then BBK.

Also if you look at all the 60-0 and 70-0 brake tests, you'll notice that some cars that come with a Brembo option do not necessarily brake shorter in those situations. I'm all for BBK and I have Brembo's on my other car but I really view having them more for fade free repeated high speed stops and better pedal feel which leads to better modulation around the tracks.

I'll be the first to admit that if I were to do a BBK on the MDX, the primary driving force for me would be the looks to fill out my 20" wheels.

As for the brake bias and mc issues, as long as the multiple piston sizing is matched up to the stock single piston, there shouldn't be any issues. Stoptech are experts at doing this. If you look in their caliper arsenal, you'll notice they have many types to accommodate a wide variety of piston combo's. This is unlike those cheap Taiwan based companies like KSport and such where one size fits all.

Oh well, gonna have to stick with the "Brembo" caliper covers for now. Lol

·
Registered
798 Posts
Its not really hard to make a retrofit, that is why I am asking for the 350Z rotors retrofit (13") as there is really no R&D to be made...
Last time I checked the Nissan 350z uses a 5x114 bolt pattern. BMW, Cadillac CTS, New Camaro, New Mustang rotors would be a better choice for our 2nd gen's as it uses the 5x120 bolt pattern and can be found in various diameters.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
^ I was talking specifically from the brackets (Not like using the same rotor).. The 350z BBK upgrade is a popular one in the TL crowd.. But it is nothing without the folks that makes the Bracket in order to upgrade to the CTS-V or Acura RL 4 Pot calipers.

If Fastbrakes makes the bracket.. I will buy it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts