Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

Relatively new to MDXers, but involved in various auto endeavors for years. Just got a '10 MDX a few months ago. So far, have done the upgrade on the rear sway bar I read about in an earlier post, and added an OEM trailer hitch/harness that I found from an Acura dealer clearance sale on ebay. I plan on replacing the OEM 18" rims with larger Land Rover ones I found (same rotor specs) and lower profile tires (of course). Which leads me to the issue I wanted to broach......

Has anyone come across any alternatives to the Fastbrakes BBK for the 2G MDX? I haven't read much about the issue in awhile, since the last posts about it. I know there will be the usual replies of "why do you want to mess with what works? (OEM)" and "if you wanted a performance SUV, you should have bought a Cayenne or Grand Cherokee SRT8." But alas, I have an MDX and don't really have the disposable income to purchase another vehicle to "play" with. So....with that being said.....an additional question would be that, if Fastbrakes appears to be the only option at this time, is there any interest in setting up a group buy to obtain a little better price?

I appreciate any feedback anyone might offer......and please, guys (and ladies) it's Saturday (and early)...I haven't finished first cup of coffee....

Thanks!

·
Registered
202 Posts
I don't have a answer for your question, but what will you be doing with your factory wheels when you replace them? :) My 05 mdx has factory 17s and makes me cry every time I look at them, I will gladly take them off your hands and clear up some space in your garage.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I can contact Brian directly at Fastbrakes to see if he can offer any special pricing for you guys. FYI I believe I was the first one to run the Wilwood 6 piston BBK from him and I love it...

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Here are some threads of some options I and other folks have taken to upgrade OEM set-up. I did the HeelToe Stage II brake upgrade that included the rear rotor also:

- 20 inch; RonJon Legacy Type II Custom Graphite face with machine lip
- Continental DWS P255/45ZR-20
- HeelToe stage II brake upgrade kit (Racing brake front slotted/drilled rotors, Stoptech powerslot slotted rear rotors, steel braided brake lines and Carbotech 1521 pads)

I'm happy with the upgrade and used them in a few emergency situations and they did there job and it felt like I tossed out an anchor. I also have the Adv model with larger front/rear stabilizer bars and magnetic shocks/struts the keep the MDX more level during braking.

Additional links of other brake options:

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/18-maintenance/35308-oem-versus-aftermarket-rotors.html

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/18-maintenance/80234-new-rotors-extreme-stop.html

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/74-second-generation-mdx-2007-2013/77649-best-front-brake-rotors-pads-2007-mdx.html

http://www.mdxers.org/forums/74-second-generation-mdx-2007-2013/71786-brake-pads-rotors-help.html

·
Registered
274 Posts
I don't have a answer for your question, but what will you be doing with your factory wheels when you replace them? :) My 05 mdx has factory 17s and makes me cry every time I look at them, I will gladly take them off your hands and clear up some space in your garage.
FYI the bolt pattern is not the same

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sERKZ,

I was anticipating an ebay listing, as i don't really require a "winter set" of rims/tires down here in coastal NC/SC. There are a set of Nittos on the wheels with usable tread left. Does your 05 have the same lug/thread as the 10? I know that Acura has bounced back and forth between the 114.3 and 120 lug patterns....my 10 is the 120s....thx

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mrgold35,

thx so much for the links. I have used SSBC and wilwood calipers on prior vehicles I've owned (never ponied the $$ up for a set of brembos...although thinking of doing a dodge project car soon, and the boneyards are a good source of the OEM brembos chrysler uses on their HiPo vehicles). I've done the rotor/pad upgrades and agree that better than stock....but I figure, if I'm gonna take the time/effort to change things, I'll just go the extra step on the calipers also......

·
Registered
274 Posts
shadymdx,

your ride is nicely upgraded, I've followed some of your prior posts. thx for your input!
Thanks and I would be more than happy to help you answer any further questions that you may have..Feel free to PM me..

·
Registered
798 Posts
C'mon now, we all have some form of "disposable income" if we are doing mods and not just repairs.;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey everyone!

Relatively new to MDXers, but involved in various auto endeavors for years. Just got a '10 MDX a few months ago. So far, have done the upgrade on the rear sway bar I read about in an earlier post, and added an OEM trailer hitch/harness that I found from an Acura dealer clearance sale on ebay. I plan on replacing the OEM 18" rims with larger Land Rover ones I found (same rotor specs) and lower profile tires (of course). Which leads me to the issue I wanted to broach......

Has anyone come across any alternatives to the Fastbrakes BBK for the 2G MDX? I haven't read much about the issue in awhile, since the last posts about it. I know there will be the usual replies of "why do you want to mess with what works? (OEM)" and "if you wanted a performance SUV, you should have bought a Cayenne or Grand Cherokee SRT8." But alas, I have an MDX and don't really have the disposable income to purchase another vehicle to "play" with. So....with that being said.....an additional question would be that, if Fastbrakes appears to be the only option at this time, is there any interest in setting up a group buy to obtain a little better price?

I appreciate any feedback anyone might offer......and please, guys (and ladies) it's Saturday (and early)...I haven't finished first cup of coffee....

Thanks!
i just ordered the r1 rotors but haven't installed them yet. I did notice that r1 makes custom bbk now, you pick how you want the bbk. I'd say give them a shout as you can do it whatever way you want whether it be 6 pod or red calipers...

·
Registered
798 Posts
Has anyone come across any alternatives to the Fastbrakes BBK for the 2G MDX?
First off, I don't think the OEM brakes are inadequate in anyway but since I'm a modder, I'll eventually do this mod next year sometime since I just got new brakes. Just need to measure BMW M3 CSL rotors and figure out the offset and backspacing for the adapter brackets.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
using aftermarket calipers and rotors with the factory system is a recipe for disaster! The master cylinder and ABS/VSA are designed with a certain size system. Using larger calipers may increase stoping distance in emergency situations. That's why a proper BBK might be a bit of money! Otherwise be sure to get other parts that you need to do a proper conversion.

·
Registered
798 Posts
using aftermarket calipers and rotors with the factory system is a recipe for disaster! The master cylinder and ABS/VSA are designed with a certain size system. Using larger calipers may increase stoping distance in emergency situations. That's why a proper BBK might be a bit of money! Otherwise be sure to get other parts that you need to do a proper conversion.
LOL, while your theory sounds ok, the reality is many have been doing just fine(including myself).

VSA is only dependent on the wheel sensor and slip. ABS doesn't care what you have on the other end as it is always pulsating pumping the same frequency and pressure regardless of what is on the other end.

I don't know what you're version of "proper" is but some will say a "proper" system is one that will offer a better or undisturbed brake bias front to rear as to not lock up one end or engage one end of ABS prematurely. Companies like Stoptech actually do some R&D to make sure their brake upgrades do not disrupt the factory brake bias by using the appropriate sized pistons in their multi-piston setup calipers.

Usually you can get by with larger front calipers as most of the braking is done by the front and you'll have a minimum chance of disrupting the bias.

Either that or you can always swap out alternative proportioning valves(either alternate OEM or aftermarket adjustable).

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
LOL, while your theory sounds ok, the reality is many have been doing just fine(including myself).

VSA is only dependent on the wheel sensor and slip. ABS doesn't care what you have on the other end as it is always pulsating pumping the same frequency and pressure regardless of what is on the other end.

I don't know what you're version of "proper" is but some will say a "proper" system is one that will offer a better or undisturbed brake bias front to rear as to not lock up one end or engage one end of ABS prematurely. Companies like Stoptech actually do some R&D to make sure their brake upgrades do not disrupt the factory brake bias by using the appropriate sized pistons in their multi-piston setup calipers.

Usually you can get by with larger front calipers as most of the braking is done by the front and you'll have a minimum chance of disrupting the bias.

Either that or you can always swap out alternative proportioning valves(either alternate OEM or aftermarket adjustable).
A few guys with Rotora BBK's that were improperly sized on the 3G TL got into nasty accidents when VSA and ABS kicked in. VSA Modulates in conjunction with ABS, and the MDX also has Electronic Brake Distribution. Not your conventional system that doesn't care what's on the other end. All systems combined brake individual wheels when necessary and to varying degrees to retain stability and control of the MDX. By pulsing at a certain frequency it's tuned to maximize steering input and minimize braking distance. It's not some system that learns on the go, it's pre-programmed with factory specs. Once you lock up your BBK, you'll find out if your brakes instantly stop like with the rotoras or if they stop well. Just letting you know.

I've done a few BBK swaps already, no theories here. Done Endless, Rotora, Stoptech, Wilwood, and Racingbrake BBK's. You enjoy your theories.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Yes I'm aware of that but guess what's sending info back to the computer? Wheel sensors. Based on the readings from the wheel sensor, the computer will adjust the vsa modulation accordingly.

Also Rotora is a company I wouldn't place too much faith on the R&D end, just like many of the Taiwan based coil-over companies. This doesn't surprise me at the least.

Well statistically there are at least two members riding around with two different setups. So far no word of any issues.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I am more than content with my Wilwood/Fastbrakes 6 piston front BBK setup and have no issues with disproportionate brake feel whatsoever and have done plenty of panic stops both on local streets here in NYC and at highway speeds and they felt fine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the input..... I'll definitely check out the threads some of you have included in your posts!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey Shady,

Did you ever talk to Brian at FastBrakes about a possible group buy or discounted price for their BBK? $2K isnt outrageous, but every little bit saved, leaves more to go towards something else, right? Thanks!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts