Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would value your opinions about installing 245/65/17 tires on stock rims. These tires are only 10mm wider than the stock 235's, and I know they will be 1.8% taller. Other than that, am I potentially going to run into any other issues, such as clearance?

I've seen other "alternate" sizes mentioned in other threads, and I did a search of the forum about this size but nothing came up. The recommended minimum rim size from Michelin is 6.5 inches, where I believe the stock MDX rims are 6.0 inches. Thoughts & Opinions?

Reason I'm asking: I got a truly incredible deal on some Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires. Thanks in advance for your helpful input!

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I'd do it! You won't have any clearance issues - I'm running 255 tires, and haven't had a single rub (I'm using the LTX M/S tires, too - in 255/55/18 size, which is the same diameter as the stock tires). You'll probably want to at least check the effect on the speed, so you have a good idea of the speedometer error (my MDX speedo / odo are amazingly accurate, so I'd expect your speed to be under-reported by that couple percent - not a big deal, but you'll want to be going a couple MPH under the limit when passing parked police cars on the interstate). ;-)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Habbyguy - Thanks for your input, I sincerely appreciate that!

Good to know there will not be any rubbing issues, the only remaining concern is the use of 6" wide (stock) rims when Michelin's recommended rim size is a minimum 6.5" width. Doesn't seem like that should be a big deal, but I hate to guess.

Question: How do you like the Defender LTX M/S tires? Smooth? Quiet? Good grip? I'm going to be using the MDX mostly for long-distance cross country driving on highways. I hope I made a good choice for the MDX.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ooops, I screwed up, and I want to correct the misinformation I stated earlier:

The MDX's stock rim width is 6.5", and the Michelin recommended rim width is 7"-8.5" for the 245/65/17 tires.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ooops, I screwed up, and I want to correct the misinformation I stated earlier:

The MDX's stock rim width is 6.5", and the Michelin recommended rim width is 7"-8.5" for the 245/65/17 tires.
I can't speak specifically to this size, but I've never had any problems running any truck tire on a rim that is 1/2" below recommended width.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Don't get excited about increasing the width of the tire by 10mm on that "skinny" rim. It'll work just fine. Yeah, if you were using the MDX to run autocross, you might notice... but you'd have bigger problems. ;-)

I just realized that the tires on my MDX (which I like a lot!) are the Michelin Premier LTX - slightly different. They've got a quieter tread than the M/S. Love 'em, BTW.

Then again, I DO run the LTX M/S (in 31/10.5/15) on my Jeep Cherokee and can vouch for them as well - they are really quiet for something that has a little bite off road (you'd be amazed some of the places I go on them). They wear like iron, and grip well under all conditions. I'm a big fan of the LTX series and wish I had 'em on my motorhome, too...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys - I really appreciate your input!

As a follow up, I installed the tires and they are a HUGE improvement from the 3/4 worn Goodrich tires that were on the car when I bought it. These Michelin's are smooth and quiet, and I'm now looking forward to putting some serious mileage on them. All I've got to do at this point is swing a dead chicken over my head or do some other sort of Voodoo or whatever is needed to keep the transmission intact.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am about to install 245/65r17 A/T on my 2005, I’ve had the vehicle for the last 11 year’s. It has served well. Do you have photos of your MDX with 245/65r17

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would value your opinions about installing 245/65/17 tires on stock rims. These tires are only 10mm wider than the stock 235's, and I know they will be 1.8% taller. Other than that, am I potentially going to run into any other issues, such as clearance?

I've seen other "alternate" sizes mentioned in other threads, and I did a search of the forum about this size but nothing came up. The recommended minimum rim size from Michelin is 6.5 inches, where I believe the stock MDX rims are 6.0 inches. Thoughts & Opinions?

Reason I'm asking: I got a truly incredible deal on some Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires. Thanks in advance for your helpful input!
I had 245 65 17 on mine when I got it n it was a much more comfortable ride

1 - 9 of 9 Posts