Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 336,000 miles I've decided it's time to replace my beloved 2001 Touring. Looking at 2015/6 w/Advance package. I do a lot of back road driving and a fair bit of dirt road/Forest Service road driving and am wondering how suitable the 2" lower profile 245/55 19s are for that sort of thing. The 235/65/17's on my 2001 are the same height as the 245/55/19's, would I be crazy to use the smaller rims? Would there be any fit issues? What sort of performance issues, mileage, cornering? Have any of you run the smaller rim/higher profile tire on a 3rd gen MDX?

·
Registered
495 Posts
The bottom line is that yes, a 17" wheel on a 3rd gen MDX will work just fine. I actually run that setup for my winter wheels/tires. The history is I had a set of 17" wheels and 235/65R17 snow tires from my RDX that I wanted to reuse on the MDX. Unfortunately the '17 MDX went back to old 5x120 lug pattern wheels, so I had to invest in new wheels, but kept the snow tires and ran the setup this past winter and it was fine. Be aware, however, that the proper 17" size for the 3rd gen MDX is 245/65R17 (as it matches the 245-60R18 stock 3rd gen size perfectly diameter-wise). So for me running the 235's made the speedo run about 1mph higher at highway speeds than actual, and I guess I put a couple extra miles this winter that I didn't travel - but the handling and ride was great with the smaller wheels/taller tire scenario - and actually a but smoother than my stock 20" Tech wheels.

Just some input to your question....

andy

1 - 2 of 2 Posts