Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so after work i went to my usual gas station to get my car wash and fuel, been going to the same gas station for 3 years, normally i take my DD Lexus GS but then I happened to be driving my MDX,

anyway, the pump were going slower than usual, took me around 15 mins to fill, i didn't bother going to other pump as it was pretty busy, it was so slow 3 cars opposite side of me had come and gone already,

the gas fill at 20gallon, i thought no biggie, i did drive the car to really low, 21??? i was like ok its gonna stop now, but it kept going, it was slow to begin with so I have no idea if it is slowing down, it fill until the point i felt is unsafe so i stop at 22.8. $68 bills..

started the car up, needle goes above full, to my surprise the gas didn't stop and didn't overfill, but it scare me, i did quick google and found out the gas tank on the mdx is only 19.5 gallon, thats pretty much has to be REALLLY empty, so do you think i got rip off by the gas station??

or my mdx got a bigger gas tank for no reason?

been driving for 10+ years this is my first time encountering this problem

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Rip off for sure...
Mine stops at 20gallons if I really fill the neck up which is not recommended. almost 3 more? nope NOPE.. That is overkill rip off.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
My 11 MDX always seems to click off short on pretty much every gas pump. I can slowly trickle 2-3 extra gallons; but, it takes forever. I wanted to see how much extra after the low fuel light turns on and and I was able to add 4.5 gallons after click off (21.37 gallons of gas, $2.709, $57.89). I can believe the 22-23 max fill if you include the filler neck after low fuel light. My RDX and TSX usually click off around 2 to 2 1/2 gallons from top off and I add 1 gallon after click off.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Take an empty 2 gallon gas can and fill it up to its 2 gal mark (not all cans are marked, but most of the 2 gallon cans are). See what the gas pump displays. If the numbers don't match your can, look for the gas pump inspection sticker. Write down the dates, numbers, and call the certified inspection dept. (the phone number is on the sticker).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Take an empty 2 gallon gas can and fill it up to its 2 gal mark (not all cans are marked, but most of the 2 gallon cans are). See what the gas pump displays. If the numbers don't match your can, look for the gas pump inspection sticker. Write down the dates, numbers, and call the certified inspection dept. (the phone number is on the sticker).
that's what i been thinking of.. getting a red gas can and fill up a few gallon and compare, thought of filming it as well

thank you very much for the tips!

·
Registered
695 Posts
Rip off, ya think? I wouldn't have left without talking to someone for an explanation...

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Not sure what year you have (or if there's a difference between years) but the manual on my '12 specs the fuel tank at 21.0 gallons.

Still a stretch to get to 23 without a lot of effort and starting with a bone-dry tank. Probably a malfunctioning pump.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure what year you have (or if there's a difference between years) but the manual on my '12 specs the fuel tank at 21.0 gallons.

Still a stretch to get to 23 without a lot of effort and starting with a bone-dry tank. Probably a malfunctioning pump.
with over 110k miles on the mdx, i never had a time i have more than 19 gallon on the tank, i should've stop at 20, it was somewhat my fault for not stopping it.. but 23 is somewhat hard to believe... but it still somewhat piss me off for me paying extra for their defective fuel pump,

I will see if i can email Cheveron and see what their response would be, will update you guys later.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
with over 110k miles on the mdx, i never had a time i have more than 19 gallon on the tank,
19 would be a typical fill for a 21 gallon tank if your gauge is on E. Unless you're really testing your luck, you never fill an empty tank so nobody should really ever see 21. So almost 23 has to point to a defective pump.

I just filled tonight and was on E with pretty much 0 miles left on the trip computer and I took on 20 gallons. I just stop when it clicks off but I'm sure I could have squeezed in a little more.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
19 would be a typical fill for a 21 gallon tank if your gauge is on E. Unless you're really testing your luck, you never fill an empty tank so nobody should really ever see 21. So almost 23 has to point to a defective pump.

I just filled tonight and was on E with pretty much 0 miles left on the trip computer and I took on 20 gallons. I just stop when it clicks off but I'm sure I could have squeezed in a little more.
i normally don't let the gas get lower than 1/4, i was told is really really bad for the fuel pump (of the car, i might be wrong), but that time i actually needed to pour in a bottle of techron fuel system cleaner to clean the gas tank so i purposely drive it until it get really low, not sure if i trust these stuff but my butt dyno tells me the car drives better, hahaha

·
Registered
3 Posts
It is most likely the pump did not rip you off, but more or less the auto shut off feature of the pump malfunctioned and allowed the pump to keep going.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts