Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to decide between the 2016 MDX or a 2015 Infiniti QX60. I love that both has 3 rows, but worried about the MDX because I'm been reading on this forum about the transmission, bad rear view camera, and funky center console display not being up to standard. Same can be said about the QX60, but I've only seen transmission issues with that one, but nothing really lately. I know about the Acura/Honda reliability, which is why I'm considering it. Can anyone give me some more insight? Much appreciated!

·
Registered
190 Posts
I think you can't go wrong with either choice. I test drove the Q7, the Infiniti and the MDX. The QX60 (when I test drove it I think it was called the JX30 two years ago) has a CVT transmission which I did not like at all and it does not handle nearly as well as the MDX and swayed a lot more in the turns. The fit and finish, especially on the interior, is a bit better than the MDX but again, for everyday driving, for me it was an easy decision.
I have a 2014 MDX with the 6 speed transmission so I don't know how much it has changed.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Drive them both. To me the QX60 seemed bigger and more truck like. Also, once equipped similar to the MDX tech, it came out priced a lot higher ( with lane departure and assist ) but included a bunch of stuff I didnt want. If I forgo those items, it was still priced a bit higher but dealers are discounting them aggressively as well, so pretty close $ wise.

For me, I appreciated the MDX's sporty yet more car like demeanor, Acura reliability ( cross fingers ), better acceleration and fuel economy, and somewhat lower price. Also, the complaints on here bothered me less than the ones floating on the QX60 forums.

·
Registered
357 Posts
2106 MDX would definitely be much better than 2016 QX60. Will we even have an MDX in 2106, I don't know? LOL.

Seriously, I looked at the QX60 and it didn't really appeal to me on many levels. The exterior is hideous and the interior looks outdated, among other things. MDX is a better overall package. SH-AWD kicks ass!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have a 2014 and it has been an absolute peach on all levels, especially the handling, acceleration and the SH-AWD; I test drove the Q7, which I thought I would like until I actually drove and it's clumsy and handles horribly; I also drove the X5, which I did like, but not as much as MDX, specifically smaller, more expensive and too pricey to repair. I only come to the this site to see how to use certain features and other secrets owners discover, and don't toll around for no reason. Again, most MDXers have no issues, the ones on here probably do, but they're such a small percentage as compared to the universe of MDX owners..........good luck!

·
Registered
266 Posts
I think you can't go wrong with either choice. I test drove the Q7, the Infiniti and the MDX. The QX60 (when I test drove it I think it was called the JX30 two years ago) has a CVT transmission which I did not like at all and it does not handle nearly as well as the MDX and swayed a lot more in the turns. The fit and finish, especially on the interior, is a bit better than the MDX but again, for everyday driving, for me it was an easy decision.
I have a 2014 MDX with the 6 speed transmission so I don't know how much it has changed.
I agree here. The MDX and QX60 were the top two vehicles on the list when my wife and I were shopping. Both were nice vehicles and each had their positives and negatives. I'd give Infiniti the advantage in terms of the luxury of the interior and the execution of the infotainment and electronic features. You may have already seen that the MDX has been criticized here about its electronics.

From a driving perspective, it's all about preference. The QX is obviously more comfort oriented, while the MDX leans more towards sportiness. Not sure how much this matters to you.

There are a number of threads in the "Comparison" section of the forum that describe the differences between the 2014/2015 MDX and the JX35/QX60. Here are a few:
http://www.mdxers.org/forums/4-comparisons/100281-rented-infiniti-qx60.html
http://www.mdxers.org/forums/4-comparisons/78786-mdx-over-gl350-explorer-acadia-jx60.html
http://www.mdxers.org/forums/4-comparisons/88154-did-test-drive-mdx-qx60-arcadia.html
http://www.mdxers.org/forums/4-comparisons/52505-2014-mdx-vs-2013-infiniti-jx.html
http://www.mdxers.org/forums/4-comparisons/57753-2014-acura-mdx-vs-2014-infiniti-qx60-vs-2013-lexus-rx-350-f-sport-comparison-test.html
http://www.mdxers.org/forums/4-comparisons/51570-2014-mdx-vs-qx60.html
I guess these would provide a good baseline comparison between the two vehicles, excluding the 9 speed AT in the 2016. That's something you'll probably have to evaluate on your own. I have a 2015, so I cannot provide any personal experience on the ZF 9 speed in the 2016. From what I've read, the driveability of the 2016's 9 speed can be down right irritating to some owners. I can see here how the QX60's CVT could arguably be better when comparing the two. The jury is still out on the 9 speed's reliability, but so far I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be reliable.

Ultimately, we decided to go with the MDX. We chose the Acura over the Infiniti because we were planning to keep the car for a long time. I didn't trust that the CVT in the QX60 would make it through our ownership period and almost expect that it would probably require an expensive replacement. Sure, Honda and Acura had a few years of major transmission troubles, but that was 10 years ago and no longer relevant. While I don't have a QX60, I do have another Infiniti product and I've had to address a couple of major and expensive repairs at 95K. If we were only planning on keeping the vehicle for a few years, there's a good chance we would be driving the QX. Yes, you do hear about the build quality issues of the MDX, but over the long haul I'll still take my chances with an Acura over an Infiniti.

There is another difference I've noticed between the two companies. Acura's maintenance philosophy appears to be 'preventative'. This means that they recommend fluid and component changes before those items wear out. Infiniti, on the other hand, seems to take a 'reactive' approach to maintenance. Their maintenance procedures call for inspections first, as most of the time the fluids are considered 'lifetime' fill. They only call for replacement if those items appear to be worn out. So technically an owner can be putting extra wear on their car's components without really knowing it. Again, if you don't plan on keeping the car a long time, this probably wouldn't be an issue.

Like what others have already said, go see each model in person and go for a test drive. If possible, see if you can get behind the wheel of a 2016 MDX loaner or demo vehicle, as it should have more miles on it than a floor model. Some of the complaints about the 9 speed have come after a month or so of ownership. After you look at and drive both, please come back and let us know your thoughts and experiences for each model.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If your leasing get the Infiniti, they really have some awesome deals. Plus the CVT wont be a problem if you are simply leasing.

Long term wise, MDX isnt really that amazing due to its recent 9 speed error prone transmission, but I`d bet the CVT would give up before the 9 speed ever does

·
Registered
56 Posts
2106 MDX would definitely be much better than 2016 QX60. Will we even have an MDX in 2106, I don't know? LOL.

Seriously, I looked at the QX60 and it didn't really appeal to me on many levels. The exterior is hideous and the interior looks outdated, among other things. MDX is a better overall package. SH-AWD kicks ass!
fine well the 2206 is even better:eek:

The QX60 imo felt like it had better interior materials and much better 3rd row, similar to the pilots size. The CVT however relegates this to minivan status and I'd be fairly confident in saying that even the regular honda odyssey drives better, and most reviews will confirm this. If you don't want a firm drivers SUV, then the larger space, better materials, and a 360 cameras that actually work are probably better. To be honest, I might have considered it, if it was simply a 7 seater G37xS, but it isn't.

·
Registered
63 Posts
the bottom line is MDX is more sporty, QX60 is more luxury. I picked the MDX because my previous car was a BMW 3 series. if my previous car was a Camry, I probably went with the QX

·
Registered
357 Posts
fine well the 2206 is even better:eek:
I'll bet, lol

If your leasing get the Infiniti, they really have some awesome deals. Plus the CVT wont be a problem if you are simply leasing.

Long term wise, MDX isnt really that amazing due to its recent 9 speed error prone transmission, but I`d bet the CVT would give up before the 9 speed ever does
I've had mine for over a month/800 miles with no negative signs from the transmission. In fact I am loving it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I also looked at the QX60. The handling on the MDX I felt was superior. I took delivery of my 2016 MDX, SH-AWD Adv+Tech in September and I have not experienced any transmission issues. I'm averaging close to 23 MPG mixed driving and I have over 1000 miles. During the research, I was concerned about some of the tranny issues re: the 9-speed transmission. Fortunately in my case, no issues so far. I love how the car looks vs. the QX (IMO). I thought that the QX had pretty good safety features. You can also watch video from the driver side (when the car is parked of course). Maybe wait for the 2016 QX to compare apples to apples. I know that they are heavily discounting the 2015s. The deal breaker for me was the CVT. I didn't think it was smooth under heavy acceleration and I'm also concerned about CVT issues once you get into the 70K+ mileage range.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The QX60 has always struck me as a bit slower than the MDX while somehow managing to get worse fuel economy. Exterior style looks a bit goofy to me but the interior fit and finish seems better than Acura.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The QX60 was one of our top choices as well. Really the only thing we liked better about the QX60 were some of the interior appointments and extra interior space. While the interior felt better quality than the MDX and the nav/infotainment system was much better in the Infinity, the styling felt too 'old' for us. As in, being late 30's/40, the styling felt better fitted for my parents-age. I also couldn't own a car with a CVT transmission. I don't like the way they drive at all, and as a result the Infinity seemed to make a lot more noise when accelerating.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts