Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2004 MDX, 2022 MDX
4,531 Posts
I was kind of reticent about buying OEM parts from online suppliers. Wondering if they were actually OEM or just after market rims which would not have the same fitment as the OEM.
Some online suppliers are actual bricks-and-mortar Acura dealers who sell parts online, and those all sell actual OEM parts, not aftermarket. Examples include oemacuraparts.com (Acura of Peoria AZ), acuraoemparts.com (Delray Acura in FL), acurapartsforless.com (Precision Acura of Princeton), etc. If they're selling actual OEM parts (with Honda part numbers), chances are they are an Acura/Honda car dealer.

·
Registered
2022 MDX A-Spec / 2022 TLX Advance
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
What part number did you use for the black lug nuts +/- wheel locks if you got them?
the black lugs you see in the pics are the standard black lugs that come with all a-specs. I don’t have a part number for those. I also have a full set of the black lugs that are branded from Acura. They are ungodly expensive for lug nuts. They are very nice and are basically the “black chrome” lugs, but not even close to being worth the money Acura asks for them. But you can find them via part number 08W42-TZ5-200B

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Some online suppliers are actual bricks-and-mortar Acura dealers who sell parts online, and those all sell actual OEM parts, not aftermarket. Examples include oemacuraparts.com (Acura of Peoria AZ), acuraoemparts.com (Delray Acura in FL), acurapartsforless.com (Precision Acura of Princeton), etc. If they're selling actual OEM parts (with Honda part numbers), chances are they are an Acura/Honda car dealer.
@md2069
yes, this. I order all my parts from Acura of Peoria AZ. OEMAcuraParts.com. I can’t give Tim enough credit. I can assure you they’re are true OEM parts; no knock offs. I highly recommend you save yourself some money and check them out

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
….What type of tires did you buy? My only concern is the ride quality. I was one of those that switched the OEM Bridgestones out for Michelins because of the crappy ride and road noise…
Vredestein Protrac. It’s an all-season, very mild mannered, silky smooth around town and on the highway, Less road noise than the stock tires. Got rid of my “droning” at 68-72mph. They’re a newer tire brand in the U.S. but very well established overseas.

I have owned a lot of tires…A LOT. I’m suuuuuuper picky about road feel and smoothness. I try not to worry too much about road noise because it’s so dependent on age of road, surface, deterioration, etc. Vredestein has amazing reviews from folks who have bought them, so I figured, what the hell…let’s try them.

I honestly don’t think I’ll ever own anything else. Tread life is only 40k miles, but I’ll buy them again and again and again because they’re just so smooth on the road. They’re stellar tires and have great performance for my needs. They’re pricey, but no worse than “top tier” brands, and in some cases a little less than them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
the black lugs you see in the pics are the standard black lugs that come with all a-specs. I don’t have a part number for those. I also have a full set of the black lugs that are branded from Acura. They are ungodly expensive for lug nuts. They are very nice and are basically the “black chrome” lugs, but not even close to being worth the money Acura asks for them. But you can find them via part number 08W42-TZ5-200B
Interesting. I'm still waiting for my A-spec but I didn't think Canadian versions came with black lugs as standard. It's listed as an accessory that costs $123CAD for 4 lug nuts.

I found 90304-T6Z-A01 which is $8-9/lug depending on where you source them but wasn't sure they fit. They might be shorter than the standard lug.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Interesting. I'm still waiting for my A-spec but I didn't think Canadian versions came with black lugs as standard. It's listed as an accessory that costs $123CAD for 4 lug nuts.

I found 90304-T6Z-A01 which is $8-9/lug depending on where you source them but wasn't sure they fit. They might be shorter than the standard lug.
Definitely wait until you get you A-spec before buying.

stock A-Spec lugs:
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Acura Accessory super duper expensive lugs:
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

a-spec lugs (left) vs. Acura accessory lugs (right)

Wood Material property Hardwood Wood stain Natural material

·
Registered
2004 MDX, 2022 MDX
4,531 Posts
Those might be a set of locking lug nuts. Most replacement lug nuts are sold individually or as a set of 20. Only wheel locks are sold in sets of four (one for each wheel).

·
Registered
165 Posts

My Canadian ASpec came with black lugs.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
136 Posts
Vredestein Protrac. It’s an all-season, very mild mannered, silky smooth around town and on the highway, Less road noise than the stock tires. Got rid of my “droning” at 68-72mph. They’re a newer tire brand in the U.S. but very well established overseas.

I have owned a lot of tires…A LOT. I’m suuuuuuper picky about road feel and smoothness. I try not to worry too much about road noise because it’s so dependent on age of road, surface, deterioration, etc. Vredestein has amazing reviews from folks who have bought them, so I figured, what the hell…let’s try them.

I honestly don’t think I’ll ever own anything else. Tread life is only 40k miles, but I’ll buy them again and again and again because they’re just so smooth on the road. They’re stellar tires and have great performance for my needs. They’re pricey, but no worse than “top tier” brands, and in some cases a little less than them.
Thanks for the info…….I suspect that if I order these now they shall be in sometime in May…….The dealer had to order a new cup holder assembly for Advance and it took about 6 weeks to arrive.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi all, for anyone that might be interested... I will be having a set of these exact same wheels available at the end of February. I have a Type-S Base on order and it will be one of the first deliveries in my area. I am replacing the 21" Shark Gray wheels with the Type-S Advanced wheels. I just prefer those a bit more. They will literally be swapped immediatley after the car comes off the delivery truck. So they will be brand new. I'm willing to sell below new cost for anyone interested. I own a business and can freight deliver if needed to ensure they arrive without any damage. Please message me if you are interested!!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Hi all, for anyone that might be interested... I will be having a set of these exact same wheels available at the end of February. I have a Type-S Base on order and it will be one of the first deliveries in my area. I am replacing the 21" Shark Gray wheels with the Type-S Advanced wheels. I just prefer those a bit more. They will literally be swapped immediatley after the car comes off the delivery truck. So they will be brand new. I'm willing to sell below new cost for anyone interested. I own a business and can freight deliver if needed to ensure they arrive without any damage. Please message me if you are interested!!
@md2069

If you’re still looking at getting the Shark Gray Type S wheels, it looks like this member may be able to help you with some significant cost savings. Just a headsup

·
Registered
2 Posts
I definitely recommend you buy them from a high volume OEM parts supplier online. They normally do 30% discounts, and at this price, a 30% discount is like equivalent to free tires. The wheels were $688/ea from OEMAcuraParts.com and the guy Tim who I deal with (I think the might be the parts manager?) is a grade-A standup citizen and has awesome customer service. I felt 100% comfortable ordering such an expensive order from him and making sure I was getting correct parts that weren’t even technically out yet. Sometimes when you do stuff like this, you open up the box and you’re like, “well ****, that’s not what I order”. But at that price point and Tim’s top notch service, I felt completely confident I was going to get what I was after.

Since you are going to refinish them, Tim did make mention that the Type S wheels that come on the advance model were “considerably cheaper.” Most likely due to the painting and finishing process. So you might stand to save a good chunk of money if you order the Type S Advance wheels (gloss black with machined finish) and refinish those. I personally just have a special place in my heart for that “gloss gunmetal” look (Long story). But I wanted to mention that in the event that’s an option.

Tires are also super expensive. The MDX Type S comes stock with 275/40R21, but the Type S also has some suspension modifications and I think sits about 0.5” lower, so the overall tire diameter is about 0.4” shorter (And I’m sure the PCM/ECU has been retooled for that tires size). But to match the 30” diameter on the standard MDX, a 285/40R21 matches almost exactly. So you don’t need to worry about your speedometer being SLIGHTLY off. Otherwise, there are more options in the 275/40R21 range if you don’t mind your actual speed being ever so slightly off (it’s negligible really - when your speed says 65, you’re going 64.5mph or something like that).

Definitely let me know if you have any questions I can help with.
I was planning on going to the 21" Type S wheel as well but unsure on tire which tire size to go with. Did you notice any change in the MPG with the wider tires?

21 - 38 of 38 Posts