Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2022 MDX A-Spec
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, here’s some pics of the Shark Gray Type S wheels installed on my A-Spec. The low hanging sun here in New England definitely doesn’t give way to great pictures this time of year. But I did have a chance to wash it today, so here you go. Enjoy

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Vehicle registration plate
Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Window
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate
Tire Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle registration plate Automotive side marker light
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Love them. Better than the stock A-Spec wheels. Too bad I don't have the funds for that fun.

·
Registered
2022 MDX A-Spec
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Love them. Better than the stock A-Spec wheels. Too bad I don't have the funds for that fun.
Hey thanks! They’re way too expensive; even with a 30% discount form OEMAcuraParts.com.

This is what I do with my cars though - brings me great joy to tinker with them and dress them up and get it all detailed. I use to enjoy going fast too, but that desire has actually left me the older I get - haha.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hey thanks! They’re way too expensive; even with a 30% discount form OEMAcuraParts.com.

This is what I do with my cars though - brings me great joy to tinker with them and dress them up and get it all detailed. I use to enjoy going fast too, but that desire has actually left me the older I get - haha.
Those look great……..I like these better than the ones that are supposed to be on the Type S………With the way your vehicle looks you shouldn’t have much Type S envy when we finally start seeing them on the road…...I have a White Advance and really like the stock wheels with the paint color but I do wish they were 21’s instead. I’m not one of those people that like black or dark grey wheels with a white vehicle.

·
Registered
2022 MDX A-Spec
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those look great……..I like these better than the ones that are supposed to be on the Type S………With the way your vehicle looks you shouldn’t have much Type S envy when we finally start seeing them on the road…...I have a White Advance and really like the stock wheels with the paint color but I do wish they were 21’s instead. I’m not one of those people that like black or dark grey wheels with a white vehicle.
haha thanks. So long as I can get the Brembo brakes to retro fit, I’ll be all set with any Type S envy. The motor would be awesome too, but I drive like such a grandpa now, I’ll take the MPGs with a smile. I just want those sexy Type S pieces!

·
Registered
92 Posts
haha thanks. So long as I can get the Brembo brakes to retro fit, I’ll be all set with any Type S envy. The motor would be awesome too, but I drive like such a grandpa now, I’ll take the MPGs with a smile. I just want those sexy Type S pieces!
Okay I might seriously take the plunge with these now that I think about it………I’d probably have them powder coated to match the silver of the current OEM wheels on my Advance now. I know a place that does great with that and will do all 4 wheels for about $400……..I’m guessing I’ll have to cough up $4500 for this……….Very tempting indeed…….

·
Registered
2022 MDX A-Spec
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay I might seriously take the plunge with these now that I think about it………I’d probably have them powder coated to match the silver of the current OEM wheels on my Advance now. I know a place that does great with that and will do all 4 wheels for about $400……..I’m guessing I’ll have to cough up $4500 for this……….Very tempting indeed…….
I definitely recommend you buy them from a high volume OEM parts supplier online. They normally do 30% discounts, and at this price, a 30% discount is like equivalent to free tires. The wheels were $688/ea from OEMAcuraParts.com and the guy Tim who I deal with (I think the might be the parts manager?) is a grade-A standup citizen and has awesome customer service. I felt 100% comfortable ordering such an expensive order from him and making sure I was getting correct parts that weren’t even technically out yet. Sometimes when you do stuff like this, you open up the box and you’re like, “well ****, that’s not what I order”. But at that price point and Tim’s top notch service, I felt completely confident I was going to get what I was after.

Since you are going to refinish them, Tim did make mention that the Type S wheels that come on the advance model were “considerably cheaper.” Most likely due to the painting and finishing process. So you might stand to save a good chunk of money if you order the Type S Advance wheels (gloss black with machined finish) and refinish those. I personally just have a special place in my heart for that “gloss gunmetal” look (Long story). But I wanted to mention that in the event that’s an option.

Tires are also super expensive. The MDX Type S comes stock with 275/40R21, but the Type S also has some suspension modifications and I think sits about 0.5” lower, so the overall tire diameter is about 0.4” shorter (And I’m sure the PCM/ECU has been retooled for that tires size). But to match the 30” diameter on the standard MDX, a 285/40R21 matches almost exactly. So you don’t need to worry about your speedometer being SLIGHTLY off. Otherwise, there are more options in the 275/40R21 range if you don’t mind your actual speed being ever so slightly off (it’s negligible really - when your speed says 65, you’re going 64.5mph or something like that).

Definitely let me know if you have any questions I can help with.

·
Registered
2022 MDX A-Spec
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thought these ARE the stock wheels on the MDX Type S.
They are, but I believe all of Acura’s marketing images have been showing the gloss black/machined finish. I haven’t actually seen any marketing images with the Shark Gray 21s. Might be what what they’re referring to.

·
Registered
6 Posts
They are, but I believe all of Acura’s marketing images have been showing the gloss black/machined finish. I haven’t actually seen any marketing images with the Shark Gray 21s. Might be what what they’re referring to.
Correct. Most, if not all, of the marketing images show the Type S Advance, which has the Berlina Black machine finished wheels standard. The only place I’ve seen the Type S Shark Gray wheels (standard on Type S A Spec) is on the Acura site where one builds their Type S.

·
Registered
2004 MDX, 2022 MDX
4,290 Posts
Yes, according to Acura's website, these gray wheels are the same as on the MDX Type S. The MDX Type S Advance has the same wheels but with a Berlina Black finish.

·
Registered
2022 MDX A-Spec
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
BTW it looks much better with the gloss black grill you added vs the standard matte black
hey thanks man! I definitely like it too. In the not too distant future, I’m going to pair the gloss black diamond grille up with the Apex Blue surround. Should look sweet based on what I’ve seen.

Sitting in the garage now:
White Luggage and bags Automotive exterior Bag Tints and shades

What is should look like paired with the gloss black diamond grille:
Shoutout to member @AcuraSLMIKET for sharing that and giving me a different direction to take. Looks ultra clean. Best nose on an Acura in over a decade right there!
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
2022 MDX Liquid Carbon A-Spec
4 Posts
Wow those wheels look great with the blue paint.
How much do the wheels weigh? Any weight savings compared to standard A-Spec wheels?

·
Registered
2022 MDX A-Spec
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow those wheels look great with the blue paint.
How much do the wheels weigh? Any weight savings compared to standard A-Spec wheels?
hey thanks. As for wheel weight, they were surprisingly light. Maybe 25lbs? I could take them out of their boxes with ease with one hand. I didn’t actually get the chance to weigh them though. I doubt it’s much savings over the regular wheels.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I definitely recommend you buy them from a high volume OEM parts supplier online. They normally do 30% discounts, and at this price, a 30% discount is like equivalent to free tires. The wheels were $688/ea from OEMAcuraParts.com and the guy Tim who I deal with (I think the might be the parts manager?) is a grade-A standup citizen and has awesome customer service. I felt 100% comfortable ordering such an expensive order from him and making sure I was getting correct parts that weren’t even technically out yet. Sometimes when you do stuff like this, you open up the box and you’re like, “well ****, that’s not what I order”. But at that price point and Tim’s top notch service, I felt completely confident I was going to get what I was after.

Since you are going to refinish them, Tim did make mention that the Type S wheels that come on the advance model were “considerably cheaper.” Most likely due to the painting and finishing process. So you might stand to save a good chunk of money if you order the Type S Advance wheels (gloss black with machined finish) and refinish those. I personally just have a special place in my heart for that “gloss gunmetal” look (Long story). But I wanted to mention that in the event that’s an option.

Tires are also super expensive. The MDX Type S comes stock with 275/40R21, but the Type S also has some suspension modifications and I think sits about 0.5” lower, so the overall tire diameter is about 0.4” shorter (And I’m sure the PCM/ECU has been retooled for that tires size). But to match the 30” diameter on the standard MDX, a 285/40R21 matches almost exactly. So you don’t need to worry about your speedometer being SLIGHTLY off. Otherwise, there are more options in the 275/40R21 range if you don’t mind your actual speed being ever so slightly off (it’s negligible really - when your speed says 65, you’re going 64.5mph or something like that).

Definitely let me know if you have any questions I can help with.
Thanks for the info……….I was kind of reticent about buying OEM parts from online suppliers. Wondering if they were actually OEM or just after market rims which would not have the same fitment as the OEM. What type of tires did you buy? My only concern is the ride quality. I was one of those that switched the OEM Bridgestones out for Michelins because of the crappy ride and road noise. Other than that if I’m going to do this…….I can’t seem myself going much over $4500 for the whole thing. I also want to put on the front spoiler and have it painted black. I don’t like the rear side skirts at all but I think that is a complete package for about $700.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts