Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2004 MDX, 2022 MDX
4,538 Posts
Congrats, hope they're exactly what you want!

May I ask, what are the black pieces on the inside (tire side) of the wheel, halfway between the outer lip and the inner lip?

·
Registered
2022 MDX A-Spec / 2022 TLX Advance
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congrats, hope they're exactly what you want!

May I ask, what are the black pieces on the inside (tire side) of the wheel, halfway between the outer lip and the inner lip?
That is a great question. I’ve had a lot of wheels, I’ve never seen the black things. Maybe something used when assembling them? I have no idea…

The wheels are super light though - maybe 20-25 lbs? I was expecting a much heavier wheel

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I believe those are for sound canceling like they had in the RLX. What brand tire are you going with?
Oh interesting!

I only had a handful of options in the 285/40R21. I originally was going for the new Michelin Pilots All Season 4, but they’re on a several month back order. Second choice was the Vredestein Quatrac Pro. So those were ordered today. They had great reviews, so here’s hoping! All the other options had less than great reviews and any tire at that tire size is a lot of money.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yeah I saw there’s not a lot of options in that size but it matches the 255/50/20 circumference perfectly vs the 275s. The longevity of the air suspension and its eventual replacement cost on the Type S is something we will find out. So if you want Type S looks this is the route to go.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I saw there’s not a lot of options in that size but it matches the 255/50/20 circumference perfectly vs the 275s. The longevity of the air suspension and its eventual replacement cost on the Type S is something we will find out. So if you want Type S looks this is the route to go.
Yeah, I went back and forth just because the 275 was a little cheaper and had a few more options, but I know in my heart of hearts that it’ll drive me bonkers knowing that the speedo is off at highway speeds. For most people it’s negligible, even my buddy called me nuts, but all good - I know I’ll sleep better at night.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
…So if you want Type S looks this is the route to go.
Yeah I’m kinda looking at it through the lens of how Benz and Audi does it. You can get Benz AMG looks on normal trim rides with their AMG appearance packages, or Audi S-line looks on A variants with the S-line packages.

Just wait until I try to retro the Type S BBK over to my A-Spec. Hopefully it’s just bolt on and there’s no clearance issues. That’s a project for another day though; I gotta recover from the sheer cost of these wheels and tires lol

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
These are going to look sweet. Nice upgrade

Jealous haha
Thank you. They do look good. The Vredestein tires drive fantastic. Sadly, living in New England there is road salt everywhere. So it’s hard to get good pics right now, but I’ll post some nice pics as soon as I get the chance to detail it

·
Registered
2018 MDX Advance SH-AWD Black Copper Pearl/Espresso
119 Posts
285? Jeebus! Can a 9.5" rim even accommodate that width? Have you researched any rubbing or road noise issues going that wide? Please share pics when mounted!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
285? Jeebus! Can a 9.5" rim even accommodate that width? Have you researched any rubbing or road noise issues going that wide? Please share pics when mounted!
oh yes my friend. Well researched and well measured. 12mm of clearance on the upper control arm and no rubbing. Clearance is fine everywhere else. Picture thread posted earlier

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
BTW, very sweet upgrade. Didnt take long for these to be available....probably at pretty penny.
Yes, my friend, a good $950/per wheel at full retaIl. Definitely the most I’ve ever spent on wheels, fortunately I got them for about $650/each. Beautiful wheels and the “gradient shark gray“ effect is pretty darn cool. Absolutely not worth the cost though unless you just really gotta have ‘em. I am told the Gloss black/Milled finish is “considerably cheaper” but I didn’t see the price with my own eyes. So it’s gotta be the Shark Gray gradient finish and the finishing methods that hike up the price.

As for the BBK, I’ll be pricing that out in the Spring time. I’ve been monitoring a TLX A-Spec on the TLX boards. He got all the parts for about $1,100 which is insanely reasonable. Looks like he had to order some sub-parts that I otherwise wouldn’t have expected him to have to order. But, good news is he did successfully convert the Type S brembos onto his A-Spec, so I am hopeful It’s doable on the MDX - and at $1,100, I’d be thrilled to spend that for a Brembo BBK conversion…but let’s face it, it’ll probably be more…

·
Registered
105 Posts
As for the BBK, I’ll be pricing that out in the Spring time. I’ve been monitoring a TLX A-Spec on the TLX boards. He got all the parts for about $1,100 which is insanely reasonable. Looks like he had to order some sub-parts that I otherwise wouldn’t have expected him to have to order. But, good news is he did successfully convert the Type S brembos onto his A-Spec, so I am hopeful It’s doable on the MDX - and at $1,100, I’d be thrilled to spend that for a Brembo BBK conversion…but let’s face it, it’ll probably be more…

BBK from OEM @ $1100 is an absolute steal.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts