Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
263 Posts
Anyone experience blue smoke from the exhaust from the car first start up in the morning??.. it blows out blue smoke then turns white smoke right away
Blue smoke indicates your car engine is burning oil. Why it's burning oil can all sorts of causes.

Did you recently get an oil change? Perhaps too much oil was used? The crankcase can get over-pressurized due to the sump being overfilled. Valve seals may be leaking. All sorts of options here.

Now I see it's a 2023 and you just joined in December. Sometimes they fill new cars with too much oil and the blue smoke goes away as the oil gets consumed. If it continues for a while, I'd have it looked at for sure.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Blue smoke indicates your car engine is burning oil. Why it's burning oil can all sorts of causes.

Did you recently get an oil change? Perhaps too much oil was used? The crankcase can get over-pressurized due to the sump being overfilled. Valve seals may be leaking. All sorts of options here.

Now I see it's a 2023 and you just joined in December. Sometimes they fill new cars with too much oil and the blue smoke goes away as the oil gets consumed. If it continues for a while, I'd have it looked at for sure.
I got the car from August 2022 I have had two oil changes done. One at 2000km and second one at 5000km I don't drive much but I do short distance cause I live close to work so about 4km both ways

When they did the second oil chnage at the dealer they over filled it that's how I notice the blue smoke and I took it back for them to fix it and now the oil level is perfect but this morning I notice there was still blue smoke on first start up

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very important detail that was left out in the initial post...

You need to go back to your dealer and have them diagnose it, perhaps by doing a compression test...

Thanks I will first ima catch it on video cause dealers like to bullshit you when u go in. talking about they can't replicate the problem

· Registered
263 Posts
When they did the second oil chnage at the dealer they over filled it that's how I notice the blue smoke and I took it back for them to fix it and now the oil level is perfect but this morning I notice there was still blue smoke on first start up
You need to go back to your dealer and have them diagnose it, perhaps by doing a compression test...
Thanks I will first ima catch it on video cause dealers like to bullshit you when u go in. talking about they can't replicate the problem
Honestly, skip the video. I agree with Rafale, I'd take it back to the same dealer and tell them although you received the vehicle back with the proper oil level, the blue smoke is still appearing at startup.

You have basically a brand new MDX Type-S Ultra. I believe in Canada there is no NSX, so you have the apex of Acuras and should have this fixed properly. It may be residual oil burning from the previous overfill, okay, but they need to perform a compression test and a thorough check of the affected areas/parts from their overfill mistake. You don't need to be a jerk about it, but they need to put your mind at ease.

· Registered
'22 MDX Type S Adv
563 Posts
I wanna know why the hell you changed the oil 2 times in 3 thousand miles... thats insane dude!

Full synthetic lasts 5 thousand miles minimum even under the harshest conditions.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wanna know why the hell you changed the oil 2 times in 3 thousand miles... thats insane dude!

Full synthetic lasts 5 thousand miles minimum even under the harshest conditions.
I changed it after 2km cause after the break in period and the second time is 6 months after which is the recommended month

Short distance drive can cause small about of oil dilution on direct injection engines especially with a turbo

I plan on keeping my car for a long time and I won't it engine trouble free

· Registered
263 Posts
These guys still over filled my oil again 🤬
Just be sure you're checking your oil level after starting the car, idling for a bit (let it cycle through), then turn it off and check.

I checked and it shows the same oil capacity (5.6 quarts) for the 3.0LT and 3.5L engines (I thought that may have been an issue). But I'm also wondering considering if you're changing the oil at such low intervals, they may be leaving the oil filter in place. If the oil filter is left in place, then approximately 0.3 - 0.5L of oil should be held back as the filter already has oil inside. That may be a reason for their overfill. God I hope not as it screams incompentence, but stranger things have happened at car dealerships.

· Registered
263 Posts
No one else will ever treat your car as well as you - which is why I do my own oil changes...
With our 2006 MDX, I performed every oil change for 204,334 miles (prior to selling to a private party). I had zero issues. There's a lot to be said there.

Reactions: eurojap

· Registered
1,815 Posts
With our 2006 MDX, I performed every oil change for 204,334 miles (prior to selling to a private party). I had zero issues. There's a lot to be said there.
With my 2002 MDX I performed no oil changes for 340,000 miles. All performed by outside shops.....not a single issue. There are plenty of reputable service shops.

· Registered
'22 MDX Type S Adv
563 Posts
I changed it after 2km cause after the break in period and the second time is 6 months after which is the recommended month

Short distance drive can cause small about of oil dilution on direct injection engines especially with a turbo

I plan on keeping my car for a long time and I won't it engine trouble free

You are literally talking out of your ass and no oil analysis ever done shows a benefit below 5k miles per change and that was on cars that are regularly subjected to track days.

Stop wasting your money this is modern synthetic oil not Dino juice.

The first oil change you did was a complete waste of time and the second one should've been at least 5k miles, probably 7k miles if you were analyzing your oil at blackstone.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You are literally talking out of your ass and no oil analysis ever done shows a benefit below 5k miles per change and that was on cars that are regularly subjected to track days.

Stop wasting your money this is modern synthetic oil not Dino juice.

The first oil change you did was a complete waste of time and the second one should've been at least 5k miles, probably 7k miles if you were analyzing your oil at blackstone.
So because I change my oil every 6 months I'm wasting my money and time?!?! My guy please chill
I don't know why ur being so aggressive over something like this lol

1 - 20 of 27 Posts