Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, prospective 2022 MDX A-Spec buyer here. Just doing my final research before making a decision. Up until the last day or so I was dead set on the vehicle but after reading through this forum I've grown less excited about the idea due to all the issues I'm reading about. They seem to be fairly 'common' on this forum...

• Transmission issues
  • Brake system issues
  • Infotainment issues
  • Tailgate issues

This is not what I'd expect from Acura / Honda with their 'legendary' reputation for high quality vehicles, even though this is very early in the product run of a totally new model. My current vehicle has gone 137k miles without one need for unscheduled maintenance. I'm hoping to find that sort of reliability with my next vehicle as well, thus one of the key reasons I was drawn to Acura.

I realized model specific forums tend to highlight issues as folks often come here to get feedback and advice and to see if anyone else is experiencing the same issues. Thus, my question to you all is this: Who is NOT having any issues with your 2022 and how satisfied are you with your purchase?

Assuming we decide to purchase this week, I'll be taking it on about 5k miles worth of road trips in the next 60 days so I don't want to have to deal with issues while out on the road with the family.

Any thoughts or feedback you can provide would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2010 MDX Tech+Ent
213 Posts
first year models always seem to have the most issues, so I tend not to use that against any car brand. But, if problems persist into the second or even the third year of production then that isn’t good.

·
Registered
552 Posts
What models are you considering buying as an alternative to the MDX?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have none of those issues. Also very pleased at 25 MPG highway over two mountain passes and under 1,000 miles on the vehicle. Also very pleased with my purchase coming from a 2011 MDX Advance.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Your money, but I would not chance it with ANY of those other brands. Acura is far superior to all of those. If you are concerned about Acura, take a look at the Lexus RX (it is at the end of this models run) or the Toyota Highlander, those were the two options I considered before buying my 2022 MDX.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your money, but I would not chance it with ANY of those other brands. Acura is far superior to all of those. If you are concerned about Acura, take a look at the Lexus RX (it is at the end of this models run) or the Toyota Highlander, those were the two options I considered before buying my 2022 MDX.
I figured I’d get a response like that... :) Thanks for your feedback though.

We’ve owned Ford and Chrysler products before without any reliability issues. Toyota / Lexus has zero appeal to me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I realized model specific forums tend to highlight issues as folks often come here to get feedback and advice and to see if anyone else is experiencing the same issues.
This is 100% accurate. I'm a gamer and the same thing happens on those forums. No one usually posts a random "My Car is awesome and I love it" thread. After finding this forum I decided to start "contributing" shitposting :) as a form of sanity check for myself and others. There's not a single vehicle on the market that doesn't have these types of forums or threads about them. Sadly no vehicle is perfect no matter how much we would like to think so.

Our 22 A-Spec is the first "Luxury" vehicle. We've always purchased "new" but I've never really put any expectations on them until this one. Jumping into an entirely new price point caused me to expect a different level of design and refinement. Those were completely crushed when I noticed the transmission lag. It shattered any notion I had about how a 65K SUV (CND pricing) should be sooooo much better than our previous Ford Edge. I was wrong and a mistake. But that was on me, not Acura and not the MDX line.

Having said that, and this is probably the most important part of my post; For all the bitching I do about the transmission lag and other minor things that we've experienced so far, I am 100% confident in saying it's the best looking, most comfortable, enjoyable vehicle I have ever driven. Driving to work is actually something I look forward to because I know the ride will be awesome. Everytime I get in I'm impressed with the interior and how it feels "luxurious". I don't like using that word, it sounds like a cliche from the 90's, I guess it's better than "fancy". :)

So please don't let this forum poison/cloud your view on the MDX, it's an awesome SUV. Please take it out for a good long test drive and see if the stuff we mention on here bothers you or not. Heck, you might not even notice or have them.

Hopefully my ramblings help somehow.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I figured I’d get a response like that... :) Thanks for your feedback though.

We’ve owned Ford and Chrysler products before without any reliability issues. Toyota / Lexus has zero appeal to me.
The aviator had huge problems with reliability it's first year on the market, same with explorer. They had to shut down production for awhile to try and clean up the line.

If ur looking for better reliability then Lincoln shouldn't be at the top of ur list (neither should Volvo)

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is 100% accurate. I'm a gamer and the same thing happens on those forums. No one usually posts a random "My Car is awesome and I love it" thread. After finding this forum I decided to start "contributing" shitposting :) as a form of sanity check for myself and others. There's not a single vehicle on the market that doesn't have these types of forums or threads about them. Sadly no vehicle is perfect no matter how much we would like to think so.

Our 22 A-Spec is the first "Luxury" vehicle. We've always purchased "new" but I've never really put any expectations on them until this one. Jumping into an entirely new price point caused me to expect a different level of design and refinement. Those were completely crushed when I noticed the transmission lag. It shattered any notion I had about how a 65K SUV (CND pricing) should be sooooo much better than our previous Ford Edge. I was wrong and a mistake. But that was on me, not Acura and not the MDX line.

Having said that, and this is probably the most important part of my post; For all the bitching I do about the transmission lag and other minor things that we've experienced so far, I am 100% confident in saying it's the best looking, most comfortable, enjoyable vehicle I have ever driven. Driving to work is actually something I look forward to because I know the ride will be awesome. Everytime I get in I'm impressed with the interior and how it feels "luxurious". I don't like using that word, it sounds like a cliche from the 90's, I guess it's better than "fancy". :)

So please don't let this forum poison/cloud your view on the MDX, it's an awesome SUV. Please take it out for a good long test drive and see if the stuff we mention on here bothers you or not. Heck, you might not even notice or have them.

Great feedback, thanks for taking the time to share this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The aviator had huge problems with reliability it's first year on the market, same with explorer. They had to shut down production for awhile to try and clean up the line.

If ur looking for better reliability then Lincoln shouldn't be at the top of ur list (neither should Volvo)

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Appreciate your thoughts, but I'm not asking about feedback on my other options...

Would love to hear about your experience with your 2022 MDX. Thanks.

·
Registered
496 Posts

I always look at the reviews when buying items on Amazon and read the negative reviews first. I seem to always see something that makes me not buy the item. Then I look at the sometimes thousands of good review and think sometimes a few bad ones get to the consumer. I love my new 2022 Advance MDX and so far the only big downer is the gas mileage. My 2018 MDX Hybrid got 24 MPG in towns and this one get 17.0 MPG. I do miss hearing a beep when walking away from the car letting me know the doors are locked.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
The aviator had huge problems with reliability it's first year on the market, same with explorer.
I had a first year 'Exploder' (1991). It was the least reliable car I've owned and actually stuck me in June Lake/Bishop, Ca for a week when the transfer case failed (while in 2wd on the highway), almost stuck me in Brianhead, Utah when the front hubs failed, and almost stuck me on a trail in the Borrego desert when the hubs failed again. After that I quit trying to 4 wheel with it. A number of other things failed on it as well. That was the last time I considered an Exploder even though the new ones are completely different than what I had.

OP - I have a 2014 MDX, purchased as one of the early 3rd gen ones (built June 2013) and it's been totally reliable - virtually no issues in the almost 8 years and 73K miles I've had it. This doesn't mean some others haven't had issues, some have.

If I was in the market for a new SUV now I'd definitely check out the 2022 MDX even though it's the first year of a new gen. If you encounter any failures they'll be handled under warranty and take a look at the lengths of the warranties compared to any other vehicle you're looking at and consider you'll likely get a free loaner if your MDX does end up in the shop. Ford and Jeep didn't do that for me. Even though it's a first model year of a new gen it's not a completely new everything - the engine's the same as the prior, the trans is new for the MDX but I believe has been used in other models, etc.

Everyone complains about the infotainment in almost any model. They all have their quirks in operation that might not suit everyone. Some can have bugs that ideally would be taken care of in updates. Importantly, make sure your expectations are appropriate because a lot of buyers know nothing about the infotainment system when they buy and may have made a number of assumptions that could have been confirmed by a little research beforehand including downloading the PDF of the owners and Nav manuals and reading through them.

Moreover - make sure you do an extensive test drive (with you as the driver - not a salesperson) over a variety of road surfaces before buying and when you receive the particular one that'll be yours do the test drive again to make sure there are no clunks, things shift as expected, etc. This sb done with any vehicle but it's surprising how many people don't do this.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
I always look at the reviews when buying items on Amazon and read the negative reviews first. I seem to always see something that makes me not buy the item. Then I look at the sometimes thousands of good review and think sometimes a few bad ones get to the consumer. I love my new 2022 Advance MDX and so far the only big downer is the gas mileage. My 2018 MDX Hybrid got 24 MPG in towns and this one get 17.0 MPG. I do miss hearing a beep when walking away from the car letting me know the doors are locked.
Never should have traded away your hybrid. Our next SUV will also be some type of hybrid.

·
Registered
2022 MDX Advance Pkg
48 Posts
I’ve had my 2022 Advance for about 5 weeks with no issue other then the Infotainment system. My understanding is there is a software fix in the works for that issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just bought a 2021 Mustang Mach E BEV and love the car. I'm on the forums for it and yes, there is a lot of negative things on there for the reasons laid out here so I wouldn't put too much stock on negative reviews. We also own a 2015 MDX which we love and it's our long distance traveling car. One thing I will say is that the Mach E is a new car (first year and Ford's first totally electric car in that size) and the MDX you're considering is the first year too so there are growing pains with being an early adopter.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I do miss hearing a beep when walking away from the car letting me know the doors are locked.
"I do miss hearing a beep when walking away from the car letting me know the doors are locked.
"I do miss hearing a beep when walking away from the car letting me know the doors are locked."

All you have to do is go to "Systems-> Vehicle->Keyless Access Setup->Walk Away Auto Lock" and your walk away feature will be activated. You'll hear an initial beep and a final one when you are a certain distance away. It does not come preset from the factory.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all, prospective 2022 MDX A-Spec buyer here. Just doing my final research before making a decision. Up until the last day or so I was dead set on the vehicle but after reading through this forum I've grown less excited about the idea due to all the issues I'm reading about. They seem to be fairly 'common' on this forum...

• Transmission issues
  • Brake system issues
  • Infotainment issues
  • Tailgate issues

This is not what I'd expect from Acura / Honda with their 'legendary' reputation for high quality vehicles, even though this is very early in the product run of a totally new model. My current vehicle has gone 137k miles without one need for unscheduled maintenance. I'm hoping to find that sort of reliability with my next vehicle as well, thus one of the key reasons I was drawn to Acura.

I realized model specific forums tend to highlight issues as folks often come here to get feedback and advice and to see if anyone else is experiencing the same issues. Thus, my question to you all is this: Who is NOT having any issues with your 2022 and how satisfied are you with your purchase?

Assuming we decide to purchase this week, I'll be taking it on about 5k miles worth of road trips in the next 60 days so I don't want to have to deal with issues while out on the road with the family.

Any thoughts or feedback you can provide would be much appreciated.

We have only had ours for 2 days. But, so far so good.. no issues. I have been really paying attention to using all of the tech features, the driver assist features, the Traffic Jam Assist... everything is great.

I suppose the only "issue" i have come across is pairing your phone. More specifically, if you setup your phone connected as Carplay, its not the same as connecting it as a phone through handsfreelink regular.. I forget what feature I was messing with but I'm pretty sure you have to pick one or the other.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts