Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
2022 MDX Type S Advance
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else having problems with terrible brake noise at low speeds when you first start driving? I've owned many cars but have never experienced anything quite like this. My dealer says Acura is aware of the problem, but so far no solution.

· Registered
'22 MDX Type S Adv
563 Posts
Once in a while it gives out a big squeal when cold and I'm creeping. Hasn't really been an issue otherwise. Pretty normal thing with larger brakes and certain pad compounds.

Be thankful you aren't driving a car with streetable track pads haha

· Registered
2,092 Posts
Acura's OEM brakes have always been quiet. However, it looks like with latest gen they switched the manufacturer and they all squeal when cold, as it seems. My 2022 RDX does, many people with MDX also reported this.

It's very unfortunate.

· Registered
14 Posts
Is anyone else having problems with terrible brake noise at low speeds when you first start driving? I've owned many cars but have never experienced anything quite like this. My dealer says Acura is aware of the problem, but so far no solution.
Yes, I am having the same problem - embarrassing for a $70K car to do this...

Original thread here:

· Registered
2023 MDX Type S Advanced / Apex / Ebony
14 Posts
I get an initial squeak / squeal when I back out of my driveway in the a.m. but nothing after that, car has 750 miles on it but I think that’s kinda part of the deal when you have decent sized rotors, aggressive pads and performance oriented Brembos calipers, I’ve been through several higher performance SUV’s and they all have similar squeal when it’s cold or wet.

· Registered
2022 MDX Aspec / 2019 Ridgeline Sport / 2007 335i Coupe
164 Posts
Even the normal MDX has squeaking. I don’t think it’s isolated to type-s.
Also many manufacturers use a tapered pad meaning that for most of its half-life only a small portion of pad is touching. When it gets past that certain point, the entire pad is flat and touching the surface . This is when people start complaining about a change I noise.
Also, consider another brand, BMW for example that has great brakes and great initial bite-in when pressed. The down side was the pad material wore down quickly and left a massive amount of brake dust on the front Wheels/rotors/caliper.
with semi-metallic pads , noise is increased but grip or bite is increased. These have been mostly passed over.
The higher end Ceramic brake pads have been quieter than other types but offer a better performance without the brake dust. However, In cold weather , you can still hear squeaking.
Even on high end Porsche models well into the 100,000$+. So much so, Porsche put out a video basically telling their customers, it’s normal for big brakes, and stop complaining about it.

· Premium Member
22 Posts
I get an initial squeak / squeal when I back out of my driveway in the a.m. but nothing after that, car has 750 miles on it but I think that’s kinda part of the deal when you have decent sized rotors, aggressive pads and performance oriented Brembos calipers, I’ve been through several higher performance SUV’s and they all have similar squeal when it’s cold or wet.
This noise is similar to rimming a a wine glass with your wet finger and it starts to sing. It should disappear as pads get better seated.

· Registered
2023 MDX Type S Advance in Tiger Eye Pearl with Orchid Interior
46 Posts
I haven’t noticed any noise so far on my Type S Advanced, but many of my other cars have done this. For me, it’s been mostly related to the humidity levels and how long the car has been sitting unused. That causes rust to build up on the rotors and the first braking action will then squeal. It usually only lasts for a few seconds of the initial braking and then quits.

· Registered
2022 Acura MDX Type S Advanced
60 Posts
I'll try to pay attention to mine when I start driving it again. I have not noticed this on my 2022 Type S Advance after 7k miles.

· Registered
'22 MDX Type S Adv
563 Posts
My car has been sitting a ton as we have a 10 day old daughter at home. I've driven it 3 or 4 times since she was born, and haven't gotten any brake noise. If I am remembering correctly the times it happens is either if it's raining hard, you get a creak noise. If it's really cold you get a loud screech on the first brake application if you do it right.

· Registered
14 Posts
My 2023 had a grinding noise coming from the rear passenger side brake. I found a small stone was wedged between the splash shield and rotor. All I did was pull on the splash shield slightly and the stone fell out. Problem solved for me.

· Registered
88 Posts
I think I have a stone between the brake pad and rotor... Only squeaks a bit when it's cold, once it's warm I don't hear much of it.
That doesn't sound like a stone. That would cause a noise all the time.

There is a report of an MDX Type S with a braking issue of crazy uneven pad wear. New pads, rotors, calipers, and hoses. The service advisor told the customer it was a "gunked up slide pin issue", which is funny considering the monoblock front brake calipers don't have slide pins...

· Registered
23 Posts
I don't disagree with you, but it did start just randomly one day. I just haven't had time to take it apart myself. Pads are cheap enough I can deal with it and avoid the dealer, but rotors would be annoying.

· Registered
88 Posts
I don't disagree with you, but it did start just randomly one day. I just haven't had time to take it apart myself. Pads are cheap enough I can deal with it and avoid the dealer, but rotors would be annoying.
Assuming you have a Type S, it should be under warranty...and if it is just a rock that needs removed, I can't imagine a dealer charging you to fix it...

· Registered
2022 MDX Type S
267 Posts
Straight from the OM:

3.0 L engine models
■ Brake squeal
To satisfy the performance under a wide range of driving conditions, a high performance braking system is equipped on your vehicle. You may hear the brake squeal under certain conditions, such as vehicle speed, deceleration, humidity, and so on. This is not a malfunction.

· Registered
16 Posts
Definitely an issue with the new brakes and the cold weather. I live in the Chicago area and the noise is horrible, especially if there is salt on the roads. I also had the special treat of having something get in between the brake shield on the back wheels. I don't care for that gap in the shield. It may have been a small rock or something, but it sounded like the wheels were coming off. This is a New Type S MDX.

· Registered
13 Posts
10k miles on my type s, twice I've had grinding noise from the passenger side rear wheel - like a stone was grinding against the brakes. Pulled into a side street and went back and fourth two or three times and the noise went away both times...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts