Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi - I'm new to the forum but last Saturday I purchased a 2022 MDX in the liquid carbon metallic with the tech package. I'll keep the name of the dealership out as they have been extremely helpful and have offered to replace the entire vehicle.

Anyway, at the dealership I took the car out for a spin (good 20 min ride) and there were no issues. The car was detailed etc but when i took it off the lot a lot of issues started manifesting in the following order:

1) Started with jerking when coming to a stop (around 25mph)
2) Clicking sound from the engine that was audible throughout the cabin
3) Thuds under the car when changing gears from park to drive etc
4) When putting the car in reverse, the car wouldn't even move
5) Starting from a standstill, the car started revving to 7000 rpms but was crawling up in speed (0 - 60 in maybe 2 minute if I floored it) - it was no longer changing gears and was stuck in first gear from what i can tell

Anyway, long horror story short, I owned the car for about 30 minutes and clearly there was something wrong with the transmission so I drove the car back to the dealership. They were nice enough to not make me deal with Acura and call the 1800 number and made it easy so they earned my business. They have ordered a car for me fresh off the line from Ohio.

The following Monday, they did some diagnostics on the car and came to the conclusion that the transmission was shot on the car and the replacement part for the tranny wasn't available so they're going to have the OH factory send them a brand new transmission that they'll bolt into the car and use the car as a loaner.

Anyway, the reason I'm bringing this up is because I was under the impression that the transmission issues were resolved back in 2008. What the heck happened? Has anyone else heard anything about the new 10 speed? I have serious concerns with the reliability of this car even though I'm getting a new one...It is possible I got a lemon.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
The 10AT is a Honda/Acura in-house design to replace the outsourced 9AT from the 14-20 MDX 3.5L. I "think" it first used in the 18 fwd tech RLX non-hybrid and then the 3rd Gen RDX in 2019 and 2nd Gen TLX. Honda is starting to use the 10AT with the Accord, Odyssey, and probably the Pilot/Passport pretty soon.

I haven't heard (or looked) of the issues you are describing with the 10AT. It could just be just bad luck with a first model run of a all new model.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
You wouldn't happen to know how to delete?
Normally you can delete a post by clicking the 3 vertical dots in your message but I don't know that you can delete a thread. A mod can probably do it if they're concerned about it - or the thread could just fade away eventually naturally.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
The 2014/2015 had the Honda 6 sp. The 9 sp was introduced for the 2016 model year.
Brain fart on my part:
1st Gen MDX was the models that had more transmission issues until the quirky 9AT was introduced.
07-09 MDX 5AT
10-13 MDX 6AT
14-15 MDX 6AT
16-20 MDX 3.5L 9AT
17-20 MDX 3.0L hybrid 7DCT (probably the best trans made for the MDX "IF" you don't need towing)
+22 MDX 10AT (jury is still out)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts