Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 10speed drives great once it's cruising but I noticed if I'm rolling up to a red light, then turns green and I gas it again, it will have a slight pause as if it's deciding which gear to chose. Also applies when I roll off from a stop sign sometimes it will take a second then have a pause/minor clunk. This is reminding me of the zf9 in a way. I did reset the car by removing the positive cable for 30 minutes and it helped a bit.

Anyone else notice this?

My 2020 Honda Odyssey with the 10 speed drives perfect, none of these issues. I'm thinking the significant amount of added weight and awd system is extra hard on this transmission.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The 10speed drives great once it's cruising but I noticed if I'm rolling up to a red light, then turns green and I gas it again, it will have a slight pause as if it's deciding which gear to chose. Also applies when I roll off from a stop sign sometimes it will take a second then have a pause/minor clunk. This is reminding me of the zf9 in a way. I did reset the car by removing the positive cable for 30 minutes and it helped a bit.

Anyone else notice this?

My 2020 Honda Odyssey with the 10 speed drives perfect, none of these issues. I'm thinking the significant amount of added weight and awd system is extra hard on this transmission.
Actually yes, I did notice it when I test drove it. I am awaiting delivery of my 22, so I haven't had time to play around with the different settings. I was hoping it was something that could be remedied by putting in different "modes". I actually noticed it when accelerating onto the highway. My 2018 MDX instantly punches when the gas is touched. But when I accelerated in the 22, it paused a split second. If you find a cause or solution, will you let me know?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will do. It's disappointing in a car this much and with Acura known about previous transmission issues. I did find it was a lot better when using sports mode but the car resets to normal mode after every shut down, it doesn't let you save the mode. I would disconnect the battery when you get your new car to reset it again, it drove better for me but is still noticeable. You will get a lot of errors, but they will go away once you start driving.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ok....I know nothing about this other than just switching it from Sports mode to normal mode, what does disconnecting the battery do? How does that affect that feeling of it not having that
initial punch when accelerating?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Will do. It's disappointing in a car this much and with Acura known about previous transmission issues. I did find it was a lot better when using sports mode but the car resets to normal mode after every shut down, it doesn't let you save the mode. I would disconnect the battery when you get your new car to reset it again, it drove better for me but is still noticeable. You will get a lot of errors, but they will go away once you start driving.
I know we can set the mode for everytime you start up the car in the MID on the 3rd gen, not sure if it is the same in 4th gen.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have SH-AWD and I did not notice in any pause or clunking noise with the transmission. I did notice a few times when I step on the gas and it lags a second or two while in the highway. Maybe you should take it back and let them check out or test drive other MDX and compare.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't mean to bring up an older thread but I wanted to mention that we just got ours two weeks ago and so far this is the only thing I'm not enjoying with it.

I experience the same lag when I'm rolling to red light or if I'm slowing down before entering a traffic circle and then apply gas (not even pressing hard). There's a noticeable (and annoying) delay where nothing happens and then it seems to finally engage and it speeds up and revs higher than I would like. I haven't driven it around in sports mode to compare but for a 60K+ (CND) SUV, I don't feel that should be happening and I shouldn't have to drive it in a different mode.

I remember the same delay happening during our test drive on the highway but didn't think much of it at the time because the weather wasn't great so I was focused on the roads. I haven't tested much highway "passing" as I've been taking it easy on the engine and also haven't driven much highway since we got it. But for the red light / slowdown situations, it constantly feels like my wife's smaller car that has a 4 cylinder engine with a turbo, the "turbo" lag is the same.

I've done my best to learn to drive around the behaviour. So for example, standing at red lights I know not to expect it to immediately give me full power to take off to turn if traffic is moving quickly. I just wait longer now. (I wasn't being unsafe before, I hope you all understand what I mean).

I'm really hoping this is something they might be able to improve with an update but I doubt it will ever be addressed. I know there's no point in bringing it to the dealer as this seems to be a common issue but I will mention it to them if they ever ask me about it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thank you all for your sharing your experience. I’m eyeing a ‘22, and this behavior makes me hesitate... and a little sad.
I strongly suggest you take one out for a drive and see/feel for yourself. As much as the transmission lag can be annoying I will say the rest of the features, tech and overall ride comfort are so good I would still buy one again.

Now I'm being realistic, we are still in the honeymoon phase since we've only had it two weeks and we came from a 11 year old SUV so the 22 feels like a spaceship compared to that. Maybe in 3-4 years I'll have a different opinion. I hope not.

But yeah, please don't take our posts for it, go have a good test drive and try it out. For some people the lag will be a non issue. I call it a mild irritant 2 weeks into it.

I will say once it does go, it GOES. It's not a Type-S but it's fun to drive for an aircraft carrier sized SUV. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thank you all for your sharing your experience. I’m eyeing a ‘22, and this behavior makes me hesitate... and a little sad.
I’m wondering if there are different settings that make this more noticeable. I just received my 22 MDX, and drove to see my daughter at college, about 400 miles round trip. I did not have this issue on the trip. I did have these issues when I test drove the 22 at the local dealership, but it was a different car than the one I purchased. I was playing around with all of the features on my trip, the lane assist/cruise control, sport mode, etc. so I have no idea if I was able to avoid the issues I had with the test drive MDX because of all the buttons I was pressing lol ...

·
Registered
23 Posts
I strongly suggest you take one out for a drive and see/feel for yourself. As much as the transmission lag can be annoying I will say the rest of the features, tech and overall ride comfort are so good I would still buy one again.

Now I'm being realistic, we are still in the honeymoon phase since we've only had it two weeks and we came from a 11 year old SUV so the 22 feels like a spaceship compared to that. Maybe in 3-4 years I'll have a different opinion. I hope not.

But yeah, please don't take our posts for it, go have a good test drive and try it out. For some people the lag will be a non issue. I call it a mild irritant 2 weeks into it.

I will say once it does go, it GOES. It's not a Type-S but it's fun to drive for an aircraft carrier sized SUV. :)
Yes, I do agree... it definitely has speed and I will be getting myself into trouble if I don’t watch it. 90 mph feels like 50.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I’m wondering if there are different settings that make this more noticeable. I just received my 22 MDX, and drove to see my daughter at college, about 400 miles round trip. I did not have this issue on the trip. I did have these issues when I test drove the 22 at the local dealership, but it was a different car than the one I purchased. I was playing around with all of the features on my trip, the lane assist/cruise control, sport mode, etc. so I have no idea if I was able to avoid the issues I had with the test drive MDX because of all the buttons I was pressing lol ...
I just went out an hour ago and had it happen again. I was in a left turning lane moving forward towards a green light going about 15 km/h (~10mph) when I got into the intersection I decided to slow down to be safe as there was an 18 wheeler coming from the other direction and I wasn't sure if he was turning wide or going straight. When I noticed that was turning I pressed the gas with a bit of "ummph" to get the turn done and get out of the intersection (as you would normally do) but there was no response for at least a second and then it engaged and I finally got moving faster.

So my point after my above Grandpa Simpson story (I'm not that old :) ) is that I'm not sure if it's one of the safety systems that doesn't like it when I go from pressing the break for a bit to giving it a bunch of gas right after or if this is purely a transmission tuning.

I'm going to bring this up to Acura Canada in the hopes that if enough people bring it up they might look at it and at worse at least improve it for the 2023 version.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just went out an hour ago and had it happen again. I was in a left turning lane moving forward towards a green light going about 15 km/h (~10mph) when I got into the intersection I decided to slow down to be safe as there was an 18 wheeler coming from the other direction and I wasn't sure if he was turning wide or going straight. When I noticed that was turning I pressed the gas with a bit of "ummph" to get the turn done and get out of the intersection (as you would normally do) but there was no response for at least a second and then it engaged and I finally got moving faster.

So my point after my above Grandpa Simpson story (I'm not that old :) ) is that I'm not sure if it's one of the safety systems that doesn't like it when I go from pressing the break for a bit to giving it a bunch of gas right after or if this is purely a transmission tuning.

I'm going to bring this up to Acura Canada in the hopes that if enough people bring it up they might look at it and at worse at least improve it for the 2023 version.
Will you let us know if you find anything out? I have had 4 MDX's and have never had this issue until I test drove this last one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, after a bit of googling I found this thread. It's about the 2019-2020 RDXs but the problem is the exact same. There's a lot of post and even a mid-thread argument about if flipping people off is ok but the rest of the thread is pretty good.

If you want the TL:DR there's no solution. I'll be honest I've gone from "understanding" in my previous post today to "pretty GD pissed off" in a single day about this issue given how this was a known and common problem several years ago and they didn't fix it in the gawd damm NEWLY REDESIGNED model.

I still plan on raising this issue but I'm sure nothing will be done. Upon reflection, had I found that thread three week ago when we were still considering the purchase I doubt I would have gone ahead and purchased it. This is a HUGE safety issue and not just some simple annoyance with the infotainment trackpad or cell phone charging problem, this is people have zero throttle response when they NEED it. How this large of an issue hasn't lead to a major recall is disturbing.

In this thread people are praising the 10speed but It's also not a thread about a problems:

Anyways, I'll stop posting about it and contact the dealership but I wanted to share that thread with others.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Im so sorry your last 24 hours has progressed from annoyance to GD pissed off:( Will you please let us know if you find anything out? I literally just got my car delivered less than a week ago. Had I known that this was as much of an issue as it was, I would have also rethought my choice. I was thinking of finally making a switch from the Acura since this is my 4th one...

·
Registered
341 Posts
If there's no hesitation in sport mode, then it's a throttle map programming issue. You can wait for Acura to release an update (which may never happen) or you can use something like sprint booster or pedal commander to give you the responsiveness you want now.

Being pissed at Acura is valid, but if there's a way to make your car enjoyable now, I wouldn't hesitate to make that fix. Just my $0.02

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well I had enough of it and took a loss, traded the car back in and bought a Tesla Y and never looked back. No more shifting, engine noise, maintenance and just really fast smooth torque. It's a shame for a car at this price point, I had the advance model too. It is a huge safety concern, I went to make a right at a stop sign and when I pulled out, it didn't shift fast enough and the car coming towards me was getting extremely close due to his speed. The 10 speed on a Honda odyssey shifts perfectly with zero issues but that car is fwd and weighs less. It's a shame, after 17 years with Acura, I am leaving the brand. After test driving a Tesla (which you all should) you'll never go back to gas. Although Telsa has their issues, I'm willing to sacrafice for the smooth no shifting, crazy amounts of torque, quietness and never having to fill up with gas. Acura has had transmission failures every year they have been out, literally.

It got to the point where I woke up everyday I wondered if driving my 2022 Mdx will fix itself with the shifting today but it never did and didn't look forward to driving it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well I had enough of it and took a loss, traded the car back in and bought a Tesla Y and never looked back.
I have a 2014 MDX, and I am actually looking at a 22 MDX and a Model Y. My concern with the Model Y is whether it is going to be big enough for me, and also obviously the lack of charging stations. I live in MA. Would be interested in your experience so far. Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
+1 on Sprint Booster. It's reasonably good at what it does. Haven't tried one on an MDX but have used them on other cars. $300 (annoying) but makes a difference.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Nooooooooo! My least favorite aspect of our 2016 and 2018s was the dreaded transmission lag. I was praying this was cured with the 10-speed trans. :cry:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts